The Romanoffs

Started by wilder, April 19, 2017, 08:05:06 PM

wilder

Matthew Weiner's Amazon Series Will Be an Anthology About the Romanovs
March 2, 2017
via Slate

Until now, all that was known about Matthew Weiner's upcoming Amazon series was that it would be an anthology. But with the writers' room now open for business, Weiner is finally willing to spill the beans and gave the Hollywood Reporter a sense of what the Mad Men creator's next act will look like.

The series, he told the Reporter, is called The Romanoffs, and its eight episodes will focus on people who believe themselves to be the descendants of the last Russian czar. He clarified that the show will be a genuine anthology, with each episode standing on its own: "Black Mirror is a different genre," Weiner said, "but if you enjoy the idea of seeing a new story every week, that will be part of it." The Romanoffs' staff includes Mad Men alumni Semi Chellas, Andre and Maria Jacquemetton, and Blake McCormick, and although Weiner has not yet begun the casting process, Weiner says when asked if any of that show's actors might make an appearance, "I definitely would not rule that out."*

Weiner also explains the reason for his choice of subject:

The reason that I picked the Romanovs is that in an era where we have social media and so much theoretical connection to each other it really seems like we're further apart than ever. And I love this idea that these characters believe themselves to be, whether they are or not, descendants of this last autocratic family who are part of one of the great true crime stories of all time. I also love that it's the chance to talk about nature v. nurture, what they have in common and what is left of a grand heritage.

Weiner also said that he planned to direct four of the eight episodes himself and that half would be shot in the U.S. and half abroad. While The Romanoffs has no set air date, he said it "should be available for streaming this time next year, maybe a little earlier."

Drenk

I was lucky enough to talk with Weiner a few months ago and he said that an episode will be shot in Paris. Here is your Xixax scoop!
Ascension.

wilder

Matthew Weiner Recruits Isabelle Huppert & 'Mad Men' Alums For Amazon Anthology Series 'The Romanoffs'
via Deadline

The Romanoffs, Matthew Weiner's followup series to his Emmy winning Mad Men, has started to assemble its cast. Joining the Amazon contemporary anthology series as guest stars are Academy Award nominee Isabelle Huppert (Elle) and two former Mad Men co-stars, Christina Hendricks and John Slattery. Also cast in the series, co-produced with Weinstein Television, are Jack Huston (Boardwalk Empire), Amanda Peet (Togetherness), and Marthe Keller (Marathon Man). No other cast members have been confirmed yet but Mad Men star Jon Hamm is among a number of well known actors rumored for roles.

Created, written, directed and executive produced by Weiner, The Romanoffs is set around the globe featuring separate stories about people who believe themselves to be descendants of the Russian royal family. Weiner is set to direct all episodes. The series will debut on Prime Video next year.

Drenk

They're shooting an episode in Paris right now, I'm trying to visit the set but I seem to always miss the places by a day or two!

Ascension.

wilder

Drenk

The first three episodes are all kind of weak. They're too long: not really movies nor episodes. And I'm not sure Weiner is good at dropping new characters every week—but I've never liked that format, anyway. But I must say that, as a whole, I find it quite interesting—in the sense that I like the image it creates in my mind, all those random people kind of connected by a common imagination. I don't hate or deeply dislike any episodes yet, since there's always something in them that I love—but it feels like fishing, and I'd like to swim. (And if you don't care about Weiner at all I'd get that you'd easily throw that show into oblivion.)

I'm worried that nobody gives a shit about this show. Who talks about it? Not critics. Not fans of Mad Men on the net—I looked for the people who were obsessed about MM, and they...don't watch The Romanoffs? or don't care enough to write about it. If it were absolutely hated maybe it would kind of exist.

50 millions for a show that creates no digital wave at all is...a lot.

By the way, I don't think that the allegations against Weiner participated in creating this atmosphere of amnesia—it's been reviewed fairly, mostly, it had a premiere in London, etc. It's just an underwhelming show for a small audience of benevolent fans.

The next one is written by Semi Chellas, though, and I'm fairly excited (again). 
Ascension.

Kal

Quote from: Drenk on October 20, 2018, 09:30:05 AM

I'm worried that nobody gives a shit about this show. Who talks about it? Not critics. Not fans of Mad Men on the net—I looked for the people who were obsessed about MM, and they...don't watch The Romanoffs? or don't care enough to write about it. If it were absolutely hated maybe it would kind of exist.

This is the problem with most Amazon shows and it's happening to many Netflix shows now. There's too much happening. It used to be that people were looking forward to new premiere dates, primetime shows, etc. Now it's hard to even keep track of what is on and when.

There are so many great shows that get zero attention and nobody talks about them. And there is no time to even watch them all.

Fun fact: I was flying back from NY to LA on the day this show premiered at Matthew Weiner was on my plane. Alone. He wasn't out there celebrating, he didn't have an entourage with him, or even any friends. He was just flying home alone like it was any other day...

wilberfan

Quote from: Kal on October 21, 2018, 01:56:51 PM

This is the problem with most Amazon shows and it's happening to many Netflix shows now. There's too much happening. It used to be that people were looking forward to new premiere dates, primetime shows, etc. Now it's hard to even keep track of what is on and when.

There are so many great shows that get zero attention and nobody talks about them. And there is no time to even watch them all.

This is so true.  I'm enjoying, as just one example, "Get Shorty"--but no one is talking about it anywhere, near as I can tell...   It's beginning to feel like the local stupor-market: Do we really NEED 87 choices of.....anything?

Jeremy Blackman

I'm a half hour into the first episode and don't think I'll continue. Just constantly found myself asking why this is supposed to be interesting. It has virtually no impact on me. Pretty rough start for a new series.

Drenk

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 22, 2018, 12:59:07 AM
I'm a half hour into the first episode and don't think I'll continue. Just constantly found myself asking why this is supposed to be interesting. It has virtually no impact on me. Pretty rough start for a new series.

If it lasted forty minutes it would have more impact. It's such a weird choice to begin with that episode. I'd say the third one is the most solid one. And a good "beginning".
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

I actually skipped to the end of episode 1, and it does get interesting. Probably not how the show was meant to be watched, though.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Drenk on October 22, 2018, 04:07:30 AM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 22, 2018, 12:59:07 AM

If it lasted forty minutes it would have more impact. It's such a weird choice to begin with that episode. I'd say the third one is the most solid one. And a good "beginning".

Definitely agree, and actually feel this same way about Mad Men. I'd usually tell people to watch an episode from a later season to get them hooked.

Drenk

Semi Chellas delivered. Expectation is the best one, and it kind of devastated me.

I don't know if it would have been better to begin with this one, since some previous moments are coloring this episode...
Ascension.

modage

I think Mad Men is maybe the best show of all time (or at the very least the best Drama of the last decade+) and nothing on TV now even comes close but I haven't started watching this either.

It's a combination of:

It's October so I'm deep in all-Horror mode. (Boo to all non-horror stuff that comes out this month.)
Reviews weren't very good. (Even from Mad Men stans like Matt Zoller Seitz)
There's too much shit to watch and I don't have time for stuff that isn't great. TV shows in particular.

Sad but true.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: Drenk on October 26, 2018, 05:13:55 AM
Semi Chellas delivered. Expectation is the best one, and it kind of devastated me.

I don't know if it would have been better to begin with this one, since some previous moments are coloring this episode...

Are these stand alone episodes? Just to know if I can watch the good ones without seeing the others.