Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

Brando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 17, 2014, 09:29:54 PM
I like your train of thought there. Given the burden that the Lannisters are and will continue to be, wouldn't it be smartest for the Tyrells to simply welcome Stannis to King's Landing, and for Margaery to marry him?

Stannis has a wife. He is also the most stubborn, egotistical and imperious of all the ones after the throne. The Tyrells first backed Stannis' brother. They then backed the Lannisters. He probably sees them as traitors and wouldn't want to align with them. The only way he would do it is if the Red Woman told him to cause Margaery would finally give him an heir which his current wife hasn't done.

The Tyrells have done so much there is no way they pack up their shit and go home. The Lannisters are still their best shot at the throne. Tywin's death will resonate in the same way as Robert Baratheon's death did with multiple people grasping for power. The Tyrells are in the best position to grab it. So maybe this is the rise of the Tyrells. The Tyrells with the backing of the throne might be able to withstand the burden the Lannsiters.

The wild card is the Iron Bank. They've already put money backing Stannis so does that mean they're done with the Lannisters and the current king even if the Tyrells help out?
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

diggler

No way would the Tyrells want Stannis. Tommen is easily manipulated, Stannis needed the hottest red witch in the world to turn. Margaery is no Melisandre.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

Good points. Let's throw out that theory then. I'm just wondering what I would do as a Tyrell right now. How exactly do they deal with Cersei, if threatening her financially isn't going to be enough? Didn't she just say she would burn the Lannister's house down to protect her son?

diggler

Cersei is definitely onto Margaery's manipulation of Tommen, but she's losing her own grip on him. With Tywin out of the picture, Margaery has Tommen right where she wants him. Pubescent boners are a powerful thing.

I suppose a lot is riding on who becomes the new Hand. If it's a Tyrell, Cersei is fucked. I doubt Jaime will want it. Littlefinger and Varys have left the building. Pycelle looks like he's close to being out the door too, with Cersei favoring Maester Frankenstein. It's basically Cersei vs. the Tyrells now.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: diggler on June 18, 2014, 12:01:57 AMMargaery has Tommen right where she wants him. Pubescent boners are a powerful thing.

Their last scene was already weird enough, and you just had to put it like that. Gross. So how does the timing of the marriage work with him, do they have to find blood on his sheets?

Quote from: diggler on June 18, 2014, 12:01:57 AMI suppose a lot is riding on who becomes the new Hand. If it's a Tyrell, Cersei is fucked. I doubt Jaime will want it. Littlefinger and Varys have left the building. Pycelle looks like he's close to being out the door too, with Cersei favoring Maester Frankenstein. It's basically Cersei vs. the Tyrells now.

Yeah it's very strange. King's Landing is so empty right now, and I have no clue who has actual power over the various things. Much depends on Tommen — how manipulable he is, and by whom — and we've known him for about 6 minutes of screen time, so really, who knows.

What if Jaime actually steps up? It's conceivable. He's been looking at his literal page in that literal history book an awful lot lately.

Much of his dourness has been about his father trying to ship him off, while he wants to stay in King's Landing. So he could actually be into this.

Mel

Wonderful discussion, I'll skip quoting, since there is so much.

I don't see Tyrell and Stannis is same bed for so many reasons. First of all Littlefinger is part of equation. I think Stannis has different plan:

It is very likely he will try to secure North first in my opinion. He takes his debts more seriously than anyone else - avenging Starks?

Olenna seems very pragmatic, didn't she say something like "Mace got us into this mess, now we need to play a ball. We should've stayed in Highgarden". She really cares for a good of family, compared to Tywin. I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrells step down, if this means safety for them. For the same reasons, I don't think Tyrells will make any hasty moves against Cersei, tolerating her as long as possible.

What about Martell or Ironborns? Daenerys will get some brake I think, since everyone else will be occupied with different things. Still I could be wrong there.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

diggler

Martells are a wild card. Oberyn said the Prince was too ill to come to the wedding, which leads me to believe we'll meet him at some point. The Martells already hate the Lannisters, I'm sure Oberyn's death won't help that. Tywin was working on an alliance with them, which is most certainly out the window now.

My guess is that Stannis's next stop is Winterfell. Stannis vs. Roose is something I'd like to see. I thought it was an interesting detail that the Wildlings were just trying to get to safety and the Night's Watch was only in their way. Perhaps Mance joins forces with Stannis? Stannis seems pretty ignorant of the White Walker threat, that'll change his perspective on the Wall battle.

Brando

Quote from: diggler on June 18, 2014, 11:55:12 AM
Perhaps Mance joins forces with Stannis? Stannis seems pretty ignorant of the White Walker threat, that'll change his perspective on the Wall battle.

Stannis might not have a choice with Mance. Mance has the biggest army by far of anyone in Westeros. Stannis will need them to fight the white walkers. If he leaves them north of the wall to die, that's 100,000 more white walkers to fight. And he has giants that ride mammoths. Do giants turn into white walkers when they die?

Mance is the only one that can control his army which puts him in a powerful position. Mance also doesn't kneel to any man. It'll have to be a partnership between Mance and Stannis. The threat of the white walkers is the only thing that could force these two men into a partnership.

The wall is still the best protection against the white walkers. Mance's army is more than enough to reinforce all of the nightwatch's empty castles.

My guess is that Stannis's next stop is Winterfell.

Quote from: Mel on June 18, 2014, 03:56:58 AM
It is very likely he will try to secure North first in my opinion. He takes his debts more seriously than anyone else - avenging Starks?

The video posted by Mel is a great predictor of Stannis' next move. He went straight for the iron throne and got crushed at blackwater. He's changed his strategy to win the throne by saving Westeros. The biggest threat is the white walkers. I think Stannis stays in the north to prepare for battle with the white walkers. I think he'll either ask or force the houses of the north to help him.

What about Martell or Ironborns? Daenerys will get some brake I think, since everyone else will be occupied with different things. Still I could be wrong there.

Ironborns seem to be completely useless once on land and yet they seem to be obsessed with it. I don't see how they can really play an important role.

Daenerys is occupied herself. She's created a kingdom and now she has to rule it. Her dragon is going to cause problems. It be a great twist if she ends up fighting or killing her dragon that was supposed to win her the throne. I wouldn't be surprised if Daenerys stops her pursuit of the iron throne and continues to expand her new kingdom.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Fernando

Quote from: Fernando on June 17, 2014, 12:58:06 AM
Can't wait to see Tyrion's adventures with Varys, that should be sweet, it wasn't mentioned where they are going, was it?

I'll answer my own question. Jaime only mentions that there's a galley waiting at the bay bound for the free cities, doesn't says which one...

Great discussion guys.

The Lannisters.
I agree with JB that Jaime should be the one to step up in Kingslanding, Cersei is queen and will rule via Tommen but who are her true friends? The small council right now is tiny, she despises Pycell so he probably is out, that fool Tyrell is useless, Oberyn RIP, Tywin RIP, like Mel mentioned Varys and Littlepervert are out too, so it has to be Jaime who becomes hand, unless I'm forgetting someone there's no one else. Although she will be pretty pissed at Jaime for helping Tyrion escape...who murdered his dad in the process, the bright side of that is that now nobody wants that marriage.

Maybe Bolton is the one friend left for the Lannisters but I have a feeling that he won't go to Kingslanding, when he gave his name to Ramsey he made a point that the north was bigger than the other six kingdoms combined and now the north was his, so he definitely (maybe) will clash with Stannis.

Before Tywin's demise my theory was that the Martell's would go to avenge Oberyn, now I'm not sure although maybe they will want Cersei.

The Ironborns are fucked, I think Reek is going to off his dad or try to, if not, both Bolton or Stannis will see to that, right now they don't seem like a real threat, also Bolton mentioned that most of the Ironborn had fled the north and more will likely follow.

I think Daenerys journey to westeros is still far away.

My guess is that Stannis's next stop is Winterfell. Stannis vs. Roose is something I'd like to see. I thought it was an interesting detail that the Wildlings were just trying to get to safety and the Night's Watch was only in their way. Perhaps Mance joins forces with Stannis? Stannis seems pretty ignorant of the White Walker threat, that'll change his perspective on the Wall battle.

Agree, Stannis could form an alliance with the wildings and battle Bolton to secure the north, there are so many possibilities here. Sometimes this part of the story seemed dull, now could be one of the best.

picolas

Mel

Quote from: Fernando on June 18, 2014, 03:34:18 PM
Maybe Bolton is the one friend left for the Lannisters but I have a feeling that he won't go to Kingslanding, when he gave his name to Ramsey he made a point that the north was bigger than the other six kingdoms combined and now the north was his, so he definitely (maybe) will clash with Stannis.

I don't think Roose Bolton is anyone's friend. He just made a deal with Tywin: head of Stark for the North. He probably would still support Starks if Robb was listening to his advises, but that didn't happen and chance of winning the war was more unlikely with every day passing by.

I asked about Frey, since I see this couldn't be next endeavor of Littlefinger. Petyr isn't a POV character in the books, but he had so far huge impact on current political situation. I don't see him sitting idle in the Vale without conspiring. He was risen by Tullies, was love with one Tully, married another. Revenge aspect in going after Frey is there. He is also Lord of Harrenhal, he has brains, some money, allies, but he lacks an army - something that Cersei pointed out at one time. Is thinking that he could convince Robin to go after Frey in the name of saving uncle or so far fetched?
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

MacGuffin

'Game of Thrones' season 5 directors chosen
by EW

Who will command the Game of Thrones production army next season?

There are five directors, each charged with helming two episodes each in season 5. Back in the mix this year: David Nutter, who directed the incredible "The Rains of Castamere" episode (aka The Red Wedding) in season 3. Nutter returns to helm next year's ever-crucial ninth episode and the season 5 finale.

Absent from the list this round: Alex Graves, who directed four episodes last season, and Neil Marshall, who scored an Emmy nomination last week for his work on the ninth episode of season 4, "The Watchers on The Wall" (aka The Battle of Castle Black). Also taking a break this season are showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, who previously directed an episode each. In fact, aside from Nutter, all the directors next season are new to the show. Below is the list of Thrones directors for season 5, exclusively on EW.com:

Episodes 501 and 502: Michael Slovis (episodes of AMC's Breaking Bad, NBC's Law & Order: SVU)
Episodes 503 and 504: Mark Mylod (episodes of Showtime's Shameless and HBO's Entourage)
Episodes 505 and 506: Jeremy Podeswa (episodes of HBO's Boardwalk Empire and Showtime's The Tudors)
Episodes 507 and 508: Miguel Sapochnik (episodes of Fox's House and Fringe)
Episodes 509 and 510: David Nutter (known as "the pilot whisperer" for his track record in getting pilots picked up to series; Nutter directed four epiosdes of Thrones, plus many other shows)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hahaha aww man. how incredibly heartwarming.

Fernando

There's a leaked trailer from the IMAX showings, obviously its quality is shitty, BUT for the purists I'll advice to not watch it, it seems too spoilerful.

polkablues

Quote from: Fernando on January 30, 2015, 12:52:15 PM
There's a leaked trailer from the IMAX showings, obviously its quality is shitty, BUT for the purists I'll advice to not watch it, it seems too spoilerful.

That's the most disturbing version of David Bowie's "Heroes" I've ever heard, and I've seen Moulin Rouge.
My house, my rules, my coffee