Top Ten Directors? (and now current)

Started by b/a, February 26, 2003, 10:09:27 PM

finlayr

No, I think you've dug yourself into a hole.  There's a difference between your favourite/most inpirational and the 'best'.  What I was saying is this:  when it come down to art, there is no 'best'.  It's what YOU find as your favourite.  And your favourites become the most inspirational to you, especially when you're an aspiring filmmaker.

So how have I dug myself into a hole? It wasn't contradictory in the slightest.  I think you should ACTUALLY READ THE POSTS CAREFULLY.

I would say that is that, Mr. Mattress Man.
Filmmaker

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: finlayrI think you should ACTUALLY READ THE POSTS CAREFULLY.

Or perhaps you should explain what you mean by 'inspirational' and not assume I know what you mean.

Are you the primary supporter of renaming french fries into freedom fries? what a disgrace.. absolutely ridiculous.. you know, I bet there are some people out there who call it freedom fries now anyway (even though it's not the 'official name'). They'll walk into a BK and say "I'd like some freedom fries," with a smirk on their red-necked face. A patriotic smirk as the pimple-faced cashier looks at them in disgust and dissapointment.

MrBurgerKing

Or perhaps I should stop going burger hopping so late at night. It's up to you.

Cecil

mr. burgerking, i think what finlayr means by "inspirational" is that those directors/movies inspire his own work or life even.

example: spielberg is easily one of the most talented and gifted directors alive today. but do i like his films? not all of them. some i even hate. does he or his films inspire my own art? not at all. cronenberg on the other hand makes films that i am absolutely in love with. his films speak to me and i relate to him and his films. his movies inspire mine, just like j g ballard and william s burroughs inspire his films. does this mean cronenberg is a superior director/filmmaker to spielberg? thats irrelevant and impossible to answer.

hey, some people "get" pop art, others dont. does this mean that pop art is superior or inferior to other movements? no, either you find it creative and it inspires your own work or it doesnt. in the end, pop art is just a philosophy, an attack on neo-realism and nothing more. whether its actually "good" art or trash is just anyones opinion.

finlayr

Well put.

Burger King--I didn't start talking about Freedom Fries or anything like that and I don't even know what you're talking about.
Filmmaker

Sigur Rós

Quote from: finlayrWell put.

Burger King--I didn't start talking about Freedom Fries or anything like that and I don't even know what you're talking about.

This place cracks me up!  :-D  Hey, I'm a vegetarian!

.....Fries and flicks that's all I need!

finlayr

Hey, Sigur Ros, what kinda movies and filmmakers do you like?

Sigur Ros are one of my favourite bands.  Saw them live too.  Excellent stuff.
Filmmaker

Ghostboy

Quote from: Sigur Rós:-D  Hey, I'm a vegetarian!

Me too. We rock!

finlayr

Filmmaker

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: Sigur Rós
Quote from: finlayr:-D  Hey, I'm a vegetarian!

Me too. We rock!

Yeah, we do! We should have our own religion.

finlayr

Sigure Ros fans...  Film fans...  what more could you ask for in a human?

Yes...we do rock...and we rock hard...
Filmmaker

Sigur Rós

Quote from: finlayrSigure Ros fans...  Film fans...  what more could you ask for in a human?

Yes...we do rock...and we rock hard...

Try asking me if the singer in Sigur Rós is my cousin..... :-D

phil marlowe

Quote from: Sigur Rósthe singer in Sigur Rós is my cousin..... :-D
that guy is getting closer on the family tree every day now.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Phil Marlowe
Quote from: Sigur Rósthe singer in Sigur Rós is my cousin..... :-D
that guy is getting closer on the family tree every day now.

The word "grand-fætter" doesn't exist in the English language!

Use your fist and not your mouth!  :twisted:

phil marlowe

ill take you out any second, mr. im-so-cool-cause-im-far-out-related-to-the-singer-of-sigur-ros-wich-is-a-very-hip-and-popular-band.

no you wantee. why?