Top Ten Directors? (and now current)

Started by b/a, February 26, 2003, 10:09:27 PM

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: astralpicturesI think he is a very good director, just definitely not on my top 10 list. I respect what he does, I just haven't really gotten into his previous films. Granted, I haven't seen Punch Drunk Love yet, and I intend to as soon as possible.

I honestly forget how I came here. I think I was just searching around for something and stumbled upon it. I always love to hear what other filmmakers and movie lovers have to say, so I figure I might as well join up while I'm here.

I notice a lot of people list Wes Anderson too. Rushmore was great, but I hadn't realized a lot of people consider him a top 10 also. Man, you guys are really gonna hate me huh?

How about guys like Terrance Malick, who has made 3 films, all masterworks. Would you think he belongs on a top 10 list even though he doesn't have a big enough body of work? Or does a director need 3 whoppers, with 10 sides of onion rings? Icing on the cake. Get what I'm saying here? It's basically a question of morality.

finlayr

I don't think anyone can argue with the fact that Tarantino is the most gifted filmmaker today...perhaps ever.

There can be NO 'best'.  This is art for Chrissakes.

My top three (working today):

1. Tarantino

2. PTA

3. Scorsese
Filmmaker

Gold Trumpet

©brad

Quote from: finlayrI don't think anyone can argue with the fact that Tarantino is the most gifted filmmaker today...perhaps ever.

*sighs*

budgie

Quote from: astralpicturesMan, you guys are really gonna hate me huh?

:yabbse-sad:

Ghostboy

No one hates anyone here on the basis of their taste (at least that's the way it USUALLY works), so feel free to express dissention towards all of the PTA and WA lovers here! All you gotta do is love movies, and from the look of your list of favorite directors, you seem to be pretty well versed cinephile.

budgie

Quote from: GhostboyNo one hates anyone here on the basis of their taste (at least that's the way it USUALLY works), so feel free to express dissention towards all of the PTA and WA lovers here! All you gotta do is love movies, and from the look of your list of favorite directors, you seem to be pretty well versed cinephile.

:yabbse-smiley:

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MrBurgerKing
Quote from: astralpicturesI think he is a very good director, just definitely not on my top 10 list. I respect what he does, I just haven't really gotten into his previous films. Granted, I haven't seen Punch Drunk Love yet, and I intend to as soon as possible.

I honestly forget how I came here. I think I was just searching around for something and stumbled upon it. I always love to hear what other filmmakers and movie lovers have to say, so I figure I might as well join up while I'm here.

I notice a lot of people list Wes Anderson too. Rushmore was great, but I hadn't realized a lot of people consider him a top 10 also. Man, you guys are really gonna hate me huh?

How about guys like Terrance Malick, who has made 3 films, all
masterworks. Would you think he belongs on a top 10 list even though he doesn't have a big enough body of work? Or does a director need 3 whoppers, with 10 sides of onion rings? Icing on the cake. Get what I'm saying here? It's basically a question of morality.

no more burger king anologies -- i want a whopper
...your excuses are your own...

finlayr

When I said Tarantino, PTA and Scorsese were my 'Top 3', I meant most inspirational.
Filmmaker

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: finlayrWhen I said Tarantino, PTA and Scorsese were my 'Top 3', I meant most inspirational.

Thanks for clearing that up.. It's still ranking them though! If you were against ranking art, you would say "in no order," or you wouldn't say anything at all, because by listing those three, you are saying they are more inspirational than everyone else.

You have dug yourself into a deep hole! The edit button won't help you!

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MrBurgerKingIf you were against ranking art, you would say "in no order," or you wouldn't say anything at all

Quick--how would you rank the following?

Italian Chicken, Regular Chicken, Chicken Nuggets

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: MrBurgerKingIf you were against ranking art, you would say "in no order," or you wouldn't say anything at all

Quick--how would you rank the following?

Italian Chicken, Regular Chicken, Chicken Nuggets

I think you put it in the right order. Italian Chicken is the absolute best out of those. Chicken Nuggets... meh.. is that even real chicken? Regular chicken might be too broad, but it's better than Nuggets, and nothing is better than Italian.

Sigur Rós

Top ten directors.......chicken nuggets......I don't get it??  :?

Ernie

Quote from: Sigur RósTop ten directors.......chicken nuggets......I don't get it??  :?

Lol, I don't either. Somebody with a burger place fetish is like a bad character on the disney channel or something (my sister watches it).

You know what I mean? Like, how every character has their little silly, wild, crazy, cute, harmless, disney-style quirks. This dude reminds of somebody I'd see on the disney channel for some reason...I'm not saying this is a bad thing.

Cecil

hmmm, tell me more, finlayr, tell me more