Top Ten Directors? (and now current)

Started by b/a, February 26, 2003, 10:09:27 PM

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: aclockworkjjAnthony Minghella

Good choice! I'm a fan of Minghella's work so far (haven't seen Mr Wonderful), and I'd say he's made two great films in Mr Ripley and English Patient. I hope Cold Mountain doesn't turn out to be typical oscar trash though. It's obvious it was financed to win Oscars, but I'm hoping all the great talent behind the camera can make something seminal.

I just don't know though, maybe we need to see more Minghella movies before listing him as one of the 10 favorites. There's no denying that he has talent though, which gives me confidence with Cold Mountain. I listened to the Ripley commentary track, and the guy is so intelligent and well spoken. He knows exactly what he's doing.. I can't imagine him making a bad movie that he has control over.

Perhaps the only potential downfall of Cold Mountain will be the fact that the cast / crew is so multi-cultural, and the film is clearly supposed to be all-american. The way I see it, this could be a bad thing, or it could really make it interesting. Hopefully the latter.

Spike

Mine are:

1. Steven Spielberg
2. James Cameron
3. Paul Thomas Anderson
4. Joel & Ethan Coen
5. M. Night Shyamalan
6. Stanley Kubrick
7. Terrence Malick
8. Wes Anderson
9. Guy Ritchie
10. Tim Burton

Spike
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

astralpictures

Stanley kubrick
Robert Wise
Orson Welles
David Lynch
Werner Herzog
Alfred Hitchcock
Robert Altman
Akira kurosawa
George Romero
Roman Polanski
Sam Raimi
John cassavettes
Luis Bunuel
F. W. Murnau
Mel Brooks
Franscis Ford Coppola....

ED WOOD baby!

astralpictures

Fritz Lang
D.W. Griffith as well

Why does everyone list PTA for?

cowboykurtis

Quote from: aclockworkjjAltman
PTA
Wes Anderson
Howard Hawks
Fellini
Anthony Minghella
Aronofsky
John Ford
Maya Deren
Sir Stanley K.

maya deren -- meshes of the afternoon, is one of the few films that really got under my skin -- its so haunting... do you know if they have released her compilation on dvd -- i know theres a vhs version floating around out there -- her films are quite impressive.
...your excuses are your own...

astralpictures

Dude, what and the heck is up with your avatar? That's some nasty shit. I know it's  nasty pic floating around but come on, is that really necessary!!!

Cecil

Quote from: astralpicturesWhy does everyone list PTA for?

uhhhhhh, no reason

aclockworkjj

Quote from: cowboykurtismaya deren -- meshes of the afternoon, is one of the few films that really got under my skin -- its so haunting... do you know if they have released her compilation on dvd -- i know theres a vhs version floating around out there -- her films are quite impressive.

Yeah I hear ya, haunting, I was forced to watch her films in school, her films were some of the only ones I found remarkable!  At Land is pretty good too, obviously it's not about plot with her, but more the visual style that I admire.  

Another haunting film that reminds me of Maya...is Salvador Dali's Un chein andalou (the razor scene is great!).....it's kinding along the same lines.

I don't know if there is a DVD, would be nice though.  I have caught these on Sundance or IFC every once in awhile though....

astralpictures

I was just wondering, because I personally don't think PTA has enough body of work to make a top 10 list. I guess I'm just not a fan of his films.

Speaking of Un Chien Andalou, there is a debate to whether Dali or Bunuel had the most input. Bunuel directed it, but obviously quite a few of the images were Dali's.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: astralpictures...I'm just not a fan of his films.

Intruder Alert!  Intruder Alert!

(kelvin)

In alphabetical order: :wink:

Antonioni
Dreyer
Eisenstein
Lang
Murnau
Kitano
Kubrick
Kurosawa
Tarkovsky
Truffaut
Vertov
Welles
Wilder

I know, there are more than 10, but...you know.

Gold Trumpet

This is the first non PTA fan I've seen here. How did you find this place? I always thought you could never locate this place without visiting PTA's website. But anyways, this is the beginning of the website broadening out to more people in different areas of film interest.

~rougerum

Pedro

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThis is the first non PTA fan I've seen here. How did you find this place? I always thought you could never locate this place without visiting PTA's website. But anyways, this is the beginning of the website broadening out to more people in different areas of film interest.

~rougerum
Greg's the uncool site has a link i think.

budgie

Quote from: astralpicturesI was just wondering, because I personally don't think PTA has enough body of work to make a top 10 list. I guess I'm just not a fan of his films.

I go on feeling. I've not seen all Jarmusch's work but it resonates highly enough.

I'm adding Spike Lee.

astralpictures

I think he is a very good director, just definitely not on my top 10 list. I respect what he does, I just haven't really gotten into his previous films. Granted, I haven't seen Punch Drunk Love yet, and I intend to as soon as possible.

I honestly forget how I came here. I think I was just searching around for something and stumbled upon it. I always love to hear what other filmmakers and movie lovers have to say, so I figure I might as well join up while I'm here.

I notice a lot of people list Wes Anderson too. Rushmore was great, but I hadn't realized a lot of people consider him a top 10 also. Man, you guys are really gonna hate me huh?