sion sono
lynne ramsay
paolo sorrentino
johnnie to
hong sangsoo
carlos reygadas
jia zhangke
gareth evans

i want gus van sant and sofia copolla back on my list so bad. and they can do it, easily. i left off paul thomas anderson to be bratty. and for some reason today i'm feeling emotional about quentin tarantino's h8 eight. and some people i forgot or didn't include

jason gunn can now be a favorite active director for someone. phil lord and christopher miller. ben wheatley. that kinda thing. who's probably off lists? george romero. stuart gordon. joe dante. i'm toasting the og horror crowd, but i'm telling ya, romero, believe me, i'm dead. and gordon is a step back from creepy uncle from stuck and edmond. edmond -- written by david mamet! old guys shouldn't hang out together. jk. but seriously. could brian de palma be on a list?? i doubt it. unless passion made up for the black dahlia, and god bless everyone but that doesn't sound realistic. i think christopher nolan is definitely on lists, and paul thomas anderson, and do you think t's funny that in total numbers christopher nolan must outweigh pta. christopher nolan isn't on my list, but i appreciate him in a james cameron way as a person whom i'd eat dinner with before i'd rewatch his movies, and i think the way you convince people you like something is by liking the thing, so i think you should like christopher nolan if you like christopher nolan. if you're sitting in a conversation you gotta remember what you like and not what the other person is liking. that's how it's best. honesty. d. a. r. e. dare was that anti-drug campaign for elementary schools in america in the 90s, and here i'm using it as an analogy to illustrate how people sometimes like to drug other people's opinions, and i wanna make sure everyone feels safe with their own opinions and careful out on the streets

Lottery

A handful of favourites, dead/alive, currently kicking butt/sucking, but otherwise have made some incredible work. No particular order.

Paul Thomas Anderson (for being da best besides his weakass IV promotion, let's blame him for real)
Wong Kar Wai (most colourful vision of the 90s award)
Hayao Miyazaki (overwhelming imagination and talent award)
Hirokazu Koreeda (pace, space and unsaid humanity award)
Stan Kubes (obligatory internet high school film club award)
Coens (irony, madness and laughter award)
Isao Takahata (real muthaphuckkin auteur award)
Francis Ford Coppola (decade of unsurpassed achievement award)
James Cameron (innovation and appeal award)
Pixar (hivemind genius award)

And all the rest that I enjoy like Altman, Kurosawa, Fincher, Scorsese, Nolan, Malick etc

Exciting dudes in film today. Dudes who have made good films, still make good films, have bright futures and are reasonably unique:

Shane Carruth
Apichatpong Weerasethakul
Bong Joon-ho
Andrew Dominik
Tomas Alfredson
Jeff Nichols
Ben Wheatley
Lord + Miller