Top Ten Directors? (and now current)

Started by b/a, February 26, 2003, 10:09:27 PM

Gamblour.

Bergman is on my list even though I hate Cries and Whispers and Wild Strawberries (maybe I should just watch them again), but I love Persona and Seventh Seal. For Fellini, La Dolce Vita, Nights of Cabiria, La Strada.

And my fucking god, forget Gilliam or Fellini, I FORGOT KEATON! Buster, I am so sorry.
WWPTAD?

modage

i agree with gamblors fellini picks.  and in that order. >
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

this list needs to be called "top ten directors apart from kubrick, scorsese, and hitchcock, which are a given".

it's like when ppl ask me what my favorite movie is, i hav to pre-empt it with "apart from everything by...." then the list becomes interesting.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Additionally, I would like to know who wouldn't put one of those three on their list, and why they wouldn't. I think, in all seriousness, that would be interesting to see those arguments.
WWPTAD?

Myxo

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkAdditionally, I would like to know who wouldn't put one of those three on their list, and why they wouldn't. I think, in all seriousness, that would be interesting to see those arguments.

Well, like Pubrick said (apart from..), it would be interesting to see a top ten list and then have that same person round off another ten to make a top 20. The bottom ten would be interesting.

Here was my top ten..

Stanley Kubrick
Alfred Hitchcock
Steven Spielberg
Martin Scorsese
Clint Eastwood
Federico Fellini
Robert Altman
Jean-Luc Godard
David Lynch
Ingmar Bergman

..and here are ten more if the list was 20 long.. (no particular order, same as above..)

Sidney Lumet
Quentin Tarantino
Paul Thomas Anderson
Hayao Miyazaki
Alexander Payne
Woody Allen
Lars von Trier
Joel & Ethan Coen
Roman Polanski
Peter Weir

There are so many..

Bernardo Bertolucci
Francis Ford Coppola
Milos Forman
John Ford
Mike Nichols
Akira Kurosawa
Oliver Stone
Steven Soderbergh
Michael Mann

..and on and on..

Alethia

october was a while ago

fuller
herzog
keaton
fassbinder
scorsese
clarke
godard
chaplin
altman
cassavetes

and i have to mention frederick wiseman because i FINALLY got ahold of some of his films and i am just completely stunned...

and in response to losing the horse's requests:

FULLER - see EVERYTHING.  whatever you can get your hands on.  if you want my five favorites: naked kiss, pickup, big red one (reconstruction), house of bamboo, and park row (if u can find it).  then see shock corridor and forty guns.  then underworld usa.  then ask me again when uve seen them.

FASSBINDER - my favorites are lola, in a year of 13 moons, love is colder than death, fox and his friends, katzelmacher, veronika voss, chinese roulette and satans brew.  oh, and beware of a holy whore.  you should really see all of his films too but those are good to start with.

HERZOG - he has not made a bad film in my opinion.  ive seen as much as i could.  start with ANY film from either box set until you've seen each of them, then move onto masterpeices like the great ecstacy of woodcarver steiner, invincible, signs of life, etc...some of these are hard to find but well worth it...if you want my personal opinion on which films to start with for each boxset i'd say: start with aguirre for the kinski set, and start with stroszek or even dwarfs started small for the other.  and if you havent seen julien-donkey boy, do it, he's hilarious and terrifying.

OZU - i've only seen early summer, floating weeds, and good morning.  but i LOVED all of them.

modage

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkAdditionally, I would like to know who wouldn't put one of those three on their list, and why they wouldn't. I think, in all seriousness, that would be interesting to see those arguments.
you need to ask no further than to call him by name.  GEEEEEETTEEEEEEE!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

haha I have to say, that was slightly insane.
WWPTAD?

Bethie

1-Senior Spilbergo
2-Hitchcock
3-Scorsese
4-Kubrick
5-Ridley Scott
6-Kurosawa
7-Pete Jackson
8-QT
9-Orson Wells
and
10-Woody

(haha)
who likes movies anyway

soixante

Fellini and Bergman are worth getting into, but so is Robert Bresson, Jean Renoir and Rene Clair -- Bresson especially.  Condemned Man Escaped and Mouchette are especially worthwhile.  Paul Schrade not only wrote a book on Bresson, he lifted the end of Pickpocket and used it for the end of American Gigolo, and he even admits as much.  I feel that Raging Bull has a number of shots that are similar to Bresson.
Music is your best entertainment value.

samsong

for petes sake

kinda predictable:
bergman
fellini
PTA
scorsese
malick
mike nichols
alexander payne
truffaut
jarmusch
copolla
altman
kubrick
soderbergh

others who are close but need more:
sophia
aronofsky
wes
quentin

edit: spell good

cine

Figure 8

Paul Thomas Anderson
Akira Kurosawa
Martin Scorsese
Stanley Kubrick
Ingmar Bergman
Wes Anderson
Francois Truffaut
David Lynch
Darren Aronofsky
Coen Brothers.

To add some more:
Harmony Korine, Federico Fellini, Terry Gilliam, David Fincher, David O. Russel, David Cronenberg, etc...

Pubrick

Quote from: Figure 8etc...
haha.

INVALIDATED
under the paving stones.