5. Orson Welles
6. Jean-Luc Godard
7. Jonathan Demme
8. Paul Thomas Anderson
9. Hal Ashby
10. John Schlesinger
Music is your best entertainment value.

modage

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanMy "can barely hold interest" comment is truer than ever, though it doesn't apply to foreign films. American film acting before the 60s and 70s always grates me with a feeling of overbearing artificiality. And it's so far from my generation... should I really be expected to get into them? Can't I just quickly and soberly appreciate and acknowledge their influence (positive or negative) and move on?
wow, jeremy i'm shocked to hear you say that.  you can soberly acknowledge them and move on, but that seems as closeminded as someone who refuses to watch subtitled movies, or black and white movies because they find them annoying.  to each his own i guess...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

I actually agree with Blackman to a certain extent. I'm younger than most of you guys, so it's probably even worse a situation for me. I like older films, but especially older American films really come off as cliche to me for the most part. There's always this patriotic subtext and a big romance that culminates into a shot where the man takes the girl and kisses her passionately while leaning her back slightly. Of course there are exceptions. I generally enjoy watching the foreign classics--they're more adventurous, and, well, I just enjoy them more. But there's a big difference between a recent film I like and an old one I like, as I'd much rather use my time to watch the former. As a young man raised in the 90s, recent flicks just resonate a little clearer for me. Doesn't mean I disrespect any of the older films.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest RockwellThere's always this patriotic subtext and a big romance that culminates into a shot where the man takes the girl and kisses her passionately while leaning her back slightly. Of course there are exceptions.

There are a lot of exceptions.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

wow i totally missed that JB comment. i used to feel the same way, to the point that i was nearly paralysed by Mrs Miniver.

point is i changed my perspective about old movies, i mean i never would hav enjoyed the Thin Man series if i hadn't. shit's crazy man, i think the whole "obvious" style of acting is congruent with the overly british accents which abound in those movies. everything works because it's so stylized and doesn't it give it a certain innocent quality?

that was all the reality they needed to reach the masses, like on a serious level, it makes me think of everything as a cartoon. anyway that's what i'm askin JB, if u can't appreciate old overracting as a reflection of the ultimate truths of the time.

if u ask me it still works, especially all them films with strong female roles, shit's crazy.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Chest RockwellI actually agree with Blackman to a certain extent. I'm younger than most of you guys, so it's probably even worse a situation for me. I like older films, but especially older American films really come off as cliche to me for the most part. There's always this patriotic subtext and a big romance that culminates into a shot where the man takes the girl and kisses her passionately while leaning her back slightly. Of course there are exceptions. I generally enjoy watching the foreign classics--they're more adventurous, and, well, I just enjoy them more. But there's a big difference between a recent film I like and an old one I like, as I'd much rather use my time to watch the former. As a young man raised in the 90s, recent flicks just resonate a little clearer for me. Doesn't mean I disrespect any of the older films.
you are allowed your opinion, but again it seems as closeminded for you to say that for the most part all american films are the same (patriotic subtext, passionate kiss, etc.) as it would be for me to say that all foreign classics are the same.  "its always about some guy and the camerawork is usually bad, and theres always subtitles and nothing much happens, and its supposed to mean something at the end whether the director had the intention or not..."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Chest RockwellI actually agree with Blackman to a certain extent. I'm younger than most of you guys, so it's probably even worse a situation for me. I like older films, but especially older American films really come off as cliche to me for the most part. There's always this patriotic subtext and a big romance that culminates into a shot where the man takes the girl and kisses her passionately while leaning her back slightly. Of course there are exceptions. I generally enjoy watching the foreign classics--they're more adventurous, and, well, I just enjoy them more. But there's a big difference between a recent film I like and an old one I like, as I'd much rather use my time to watch the former. As a young man raised in the 90s, recent flicks just resonate a little clearer for me. Doesn't mean I disrespect any of the older films.
you are allowed your opinion, but again it seems as closeminded for you to say that for the most part all american films are the same (patriotic subtext, passionate kiss, etc.) as it would be for me to say that all foreign classics are the same.  "its always about some guy and the camerawork is usually bad, and theres always subtitles and nothing much happens, and its supposed to mean something at the end whether the director had the intention or not..."

that's more art film than foreign film.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Alethia

why not revisit this once again, it's fun.  and i'm rather bored.

SAMUEL FULLER
jacques demy
fassbinder
henri-georges clouzot
david gordon green
carl dreyer
nicholas ray
werner herzog
alan clarke
john cassavetes
godard
peckinpah

s'about it at this time.

Finn

in no particular order...

Stanley Kubrick
Paul Thomas Anderson
Lars Von Trier
M. Night Shyamalan
Alfonso Cuaron
David Lynch
Baz Luhrmann
Todd Solondz
Martin Scorsese
Peter Weir

and some others....

:salute:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Gamblour.

It's funny, I would say PTA is one of my favorite directors, but I've said it so much that I don't feel that same vigor anymore. I'd say my list goes like... (in no order)

Kubrick
Scorsese
Eastwood
Wes Anderson
Hitchcock
Bergman
Jarmusch
Christopher Nolan
Coen Bros.
I dunno, either Gilliam or Fellini

I really like this list. I'm sure a few years ago I would have put in Aronofsky and Tarantino and blah blah, but those guys need a few more matured movies first.
WWPTAD?

Kal

I dont know why a lot of people dont put Spielberg... maybe because he is too commercial or whatever you want to call him... but he did some of the films we love the most... and he is the role model of many of the ones you did pick... and he did set the standard for today's blockbuster filmmaking

Myxo

In no particular order..

Stanley Kubrick
Alfred Hitchcock
Steven Spielberg
Martin Scorsese
Clint Eastwood
Federico Fellini
Robert Altman
Jean-Luc Godard
David Lynch
Ingmar Bergman

I'd prefer a top 20. Then guys like Lumet, Tarantino and others would make a much more rounded list.

Redlum

Spielberg
Fellini
Martin Scorcese
Howard Hawks
Alfred Hitchcock
Robert Altman
Chaplin
Capra
Kubrick

I did have Soderberg and PTA in there for a while, but I had to make room. Bah I dunno, I suppose their careers are not over yet so you cant really judge them. Spielberg is a dead cert to me, though. Its like ranking a movie you havent watched all the way through. The new and the old should be seperated.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

w/o horse

PTA
Kieslowski
Scorsese
Peckinpah
Hitchcock
Altman
Kubrick
Powell
Almodóvar
Jarmusch

If I were permitted to extend the list to 12, or if I made this list on another day, we would see the inclusion of von Trier and Spike Lee, who were beaten by inches, with Kar Wai close by as well.

Directors I need to get into more:  Fellini, Bergman, Fuller, Fassbinder, Herzog, Buñuel, Ozu.

Obviously I've seen films from these guys, but I don't have a full perspective, it's mainly the big hitters I've seen.  Fellini I especially lack knowledge in, as 8 1/2 is the only one of his I've seen.  Any suggestions for a second movie?  La Dolce Vita seems like the obvious one, so actually we'll just say La Dolce Vita and take care of that, so what then?  Amarcord?  La Strada?  What about the cheap ones, I always consider buying one.  You know, Satyricon and Roma.

After Fellini it's Fassbinder and Buñuel I need to tackle.  They both have a ton of movies so suggestions would be appreciated.

Admittingly I'm more interested in contemporary directors, which I need to get myself out of.  Or I need to get myself into Netflix, because the price tags on getting into these directors is a huge detraction.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.