Hayao Miyazaki
Woody Allen
Spike Lee
John Ford

Directors I can't stand

- Ridley Scott
- Joel Schumacher
- Michael Bay

I see "Directed by" any of those three guys above and I almost immediately lose interest in seeing it. ;)

El Duderino

Quote from: MyxomatosisIn no particular order
- Francis Ford Coppola
Tough to not include these guys..
-Francis Ford Coppola

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

classical gas

Quote from: El Duderino
- Francis Ford Coppola
-Francis Ford Coppola

i feel the same way

Pubrick

Quote from: El Duderino
- Francis Ford Coppola
-Francis Ford Coppola

hey, at least he didn't rank his list after saying "in no particular order"..
under the paving stones.

Myxo

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: hacksparrowIn all fairness, if you look at most of the favorite films chosen by the directors who are popping up most often on this thread (PTA, Wes, Scorsese, etc.), most of their favorite films are films they grew up on.  Given that the average age of the users on this site has to be closer to 20 than 30, you can't really blame anyone for putting Pulp Fiction in their top ten any more than you can blame Tarantino for voting for Taxi Driver in his Sight & Sound top ten.

QT also listed "His Girl Friday" (1940) on that same list.

But he also put Dazed and Confused on his list too. So go figure.

I know what you're getting at, that a lot of us have a vast knowledge of only a limited amount of films, neglecting older ones in particular, and I completely agree.  But, for example, I've seen The Lost Weekend and I've seen Trainspotting; I like both but I'm always going to say that Trainspotting is a better film than The Lost Weekend and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.  I'd bet that most xixaxers just have more of an affinity for recent films rather than not having seen older ones.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: hacksparrowI'd bet that most xixaxers just have more of an affinity for recent films rather than not having seen older ones.

Exacto. And that's just normal. We grew up with the films of our times, and they're more close to us that older ones. I mean, my Top 2 movies (Manhattan and Taxi Driver) were made before I was even born, but I had to check them out, after I realized that I really, really loved movies. I don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly, but the point is... it's normal that most of us have more interest in new films simply because, for instant, that we got to see them on the big screen, on opening day or something. Or, in cases like Kill Bill or Punch-Drunk Love or The Royal Tenenbaums, we were even highly anticipating them even before they went into production. Recent movies reflect us, in a way, while growing up and shaping our tastes. I have to go now 'cause tonight I plan on getting drunk.
Si

MacGuffin

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal
Quote from: hacksparrowI'd bet that most xixaxers just have more of an affinity for recent films rather than not having seen older ones.

Exacto. And that's just normal.

I guess that's just more confirmation that I'm not normal.

Quote from: ebeamanI think it's laughable that some people find the 40's and 50's to be the golden age of film...the golden age was definitely the 70's.

I think that a lot of the films of the 40's and 50's are exactly the same...there were all those sentimental romances and everything...there were a lot of repeats.

Quote from: SoNowThenYou go, Ebs!!! So right on the 50's stuff.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: ebeamanWhen was the "golden age"???

70's cinema -OR- 30's and 40's cinema

Definitely, definitely the 70s. I can barely hold interest in most "classics" from the 30s and 40s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI've found the more you dig into movies, the more you desire movies from the past. Yes, cliche films ran as much as they do today but there is still much to learn and appreciate from the films of the past and you stop seeing that Wings won the first Oscar in the late 1920s and that masters of filmmaking were popping up as early as the mid 1910s. It's a good argument to say the golden age of film did come in the 1970s because of the idepedence found in financing for daring movies and all, but it shouldn't stop people from shutting out the earlier time periods. That's the worst approach.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

I stand corrected.   :oops:  

And GT's quote is on the money.

MacGuffin

Quote from: hacksparrowI stand corrected.   :oops:

I didn't mean for it to 'correct' you because it's not a matter of right or wrong, and I don't want those quotes to come across as generalization of xixax's membership. I just wish that sometimes 'older' films would receive some more appreciation.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Quote from: MacGuffinI just wish that sometimes 'older' films would receive some more appreciation.

Why?
context, context, context.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinI just wish that sometimes 'older' films would receive some more appreciation.
My "can barely hold interest" comment is truer than ever, though it doesn't apply to foreign films. American film acting before the 60s and 70s always grates me with a feeling of overbearing artificiality. And it's so far from my generation... should I really be expected to get into them? Can't I just quickly and soberly appreciate and acknowledge their influence (positive or negative) and move on?

Just Withnail

For me it's the simple question of avaliability. Where the hell am I supposed to get the really good older films? I live in smalltown Norway, and I bet a lot of other xixaxers live in some desolate place where they only videostores carry the latest blockbusters. Okey, so americans have netflix, but do they carry older titles? (that's a genuine question) The only chance I'll get to watch anything of the really great pre-60 stuff is to shell out for a Criterion, and I'm wary of buying those blind. For me it's not about not giving them a chance, it's about not being able to. Which sucks.

Alethia

if it helps, i almost always put "older" films first on my netflix queue on that general principal, and a large percentage of my favorites, off the top of my head, are older titles

MacGuffin

Quote from: cronopio

Why?

I was taught: Respect your elders.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanMy "can barely hold interest" comment is truer than ever, though it doesn't apply to foreign films. American film acting before the 60s and 70s always grates me with a feeling of overbearing artificiality. And it's so far from my generation... should I really be expected to get into them? Can't I just quickly and soberly appreciate and acknowledge their influence (positive or negative) and move on?

Do whatever you want to do. Like the 'women' issue in the Mean Girls thread, I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and I'm not telling anyone what to do or change their ways. Just expressing my feelings and thoughts.

Quote from: WithnailFor me it's the simple question of avaliability. Where the hell am I supposed to get the really good older films? I live in smalltown Norway, and I bet a lot of other xixaxers live in some desolate place where they only videostores carry the latest blockbusters. Okey, so americans have netflix, but do they carry older titles? (that's a genuine question) The only chance I'll get to watch anything of the really great pre-60 stuff is to shell out for a Criterion, and I'm wary of buying those blind. For me it's not about not giving them a chance, it's about not being able to. Which sucks.

Quote from: ewardif it helps, i almost always put "older" films first on my netflix queue on that general principal, and a large percentage of my favorites, off the top of my head, are older titles

I can appreciate your (and anyone's)  want to seek them out. I guess I was just lucky to have a mother that had a huge library of films, plus watching the Turner Classic Movies and American Movie Classics (before it was sold) channels was/is a big help.

Skeleton FilmWorks