Any Smashing Pumpkins fans out there?

Started by Teddy, May 09, 2003, 11:31:49 PM

Sleuth

Quote from: children with angelsDude! Where's

Stumbleine (Best song top play on guitar late, drunk, in front of a fire)

For me, Melon Collie is definitely their best album, no question. They so wonderfully make a whole world out of their music on it - you don't ever want to leave... Also, one of the most musically varied albums of all time.

Absolutely correct
I like to hug dogs

phil marlowe

the song 'bodies' from mellon collie is their best ever. but i must admid that it is the rarest sp songs i enjoy now.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Phil Marlowebut i must admid that it is the rarest sp songs i enjoy now.

Then you are not for real. btw check out Set The Ray To Jerry. Great track!

godardian

I can't imagine anyone thinking SP is underrated... they got a LOT of not-always-deserved respect and worship during their time.

I like 'em, for the most part. I'm a very dilletantish SP listener, though. I really like what I've heard off of Adore and the song "Tonight, Tonight" the most out of all their stuff (of course, the Melies-inspired video piqued my cinephilia entirely apart from the music or the band themselves).

And I think it's very cool that Corgan pitched in for NewOrderGetReady. "Turn My Way" is basically a Sumner/Corgan duet, no?

I first got into SP through "Disarm." Any big melodramatic tragedy tune gets to me, especially if it has sad church-bell sounds. I'm not being facetious at all, either.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

chainsmoking insomniac

SIAMESE DREAM! One of the best rock albums!!!!!!  8)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Teddy

Here's a revised list of my favorite SP songs:

Try (alt)
Heavy Metal Machine (alt)
Glass and the Ghost Children
Blue Skies Bring Tears
Rhinoceros
Thirty-Three
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
The Aeroplane Flies High
Today
Rocket
Spaceboy
The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
Blank Page
Cherub Rock
Zero
Sparrow
Glass' Theme
Tonite, Tonite
Eye
Ava Adore
Plume
Pissant
Obscured
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
Luna
Soma
Tales of a Scorched Earth
Where Boys Fear to Tread
Stumbline
Starla (why did I leave this out?)
Here's to the Atom Bomb
Slow Dawn
Saturnine
Annie Dog

That should be pretty accurate for now.  Although I haven't heard any of The Aeroplane Flies High tracks.  Could someone at least burn me those CDs and send them to me?  Please.  Contact me if you want to.  I will pay you like twenty bucks.  Please.
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

Mesh

Quote from: mogwaiBest b-side is 'The Last Song', best song on Mellon is 'Porcelina of the Vast Oceans'.

I think "Glynis" might be their best non-album track.

Mesh

Quote from: godardian
And I think it's very cool that Corgan pitched in for NewOrderGetReady. "Turn My Way" is basically a Sumner/Corgan duet, no?

He loves New Order.  In fact, before they were SP, Billy's band had a drum machine and sounded a hell of a lot more like New Order.

Check out the debut Zwan album if you want more of this side of Corgan (I'd download though, if you're only a partial fan).  A handful of those new songs remind me of later-era New Order.

godardian

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: mogwaiBest b-side is 'The Last Song', best song on Mellon is 'Porcelina of the Vast Oceans'.

I think "Glynis" might be their best non-album track.

I have a friend who thinks it's their best track, period.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: godardian

He loves New Order.  In fact, before they were SP, Billy's band had a drum machine and sounded a hell of a lot more like New Order.

Check out the debut Zwan album if you want more of this side of Corgan (I'd download though, if you're only a partial fan).  A handful of those new songs remind me of later-era New Order.

Most compelling recommendation yet.

abbey road

smashing pumpkins are my favorite band of all time! even though some dont like it machina is my favorite its just so awesome and so original i love it. my first cd ever was siamease dream, good times.
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"

modage

god, i was so disappointed with MACHINA.  i didnt dig it at all.  everytime i tried to listen to it, it just seemed like smashing pumpkins trying to be something else.  it also seemed like one of them got a FUZZ petal and forgot to turn it off for the whole album.  has anybody heard the song "Once In A While".  its a b-side from the Adore era.  its a quiet little piano song, but its really pretty.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

that gangster rap album james iha made was great

freakerdude

I am resurrecting this b/c slog started one that got locked......which led me here. I am a huge SP fan so I thought I'd drop my dime about something severely overlooked.

How can anyone talk about their best SP albums and not even mention Gish? Gish and Siamese Dream are easily HIS best. Melon Collie could have been cut down to a single CD and Machina was a good one to leave us with. I d/l'd Machina II but really haven't litened to it. Adore didn't work IMO b/c it was w/o Chamberlin, who Billy knew was an integral part of the band. One of the hardest working, rhythym driving drummers around today. A drum machine cannot replace JC.

Siamese Dream was all Billy. Chamberlin played drums and Billy played all guitar, rythm, and bass with Butch Vig adding his special touches. Iha plays very few leads on maybe 3 songs tops. D'Arcy was non existent on the album.

If you haven't heard Gish, I suggest you get it. I think only one song, Rhinoceros, was mentioned in a best of song list. Every song is good except for Daydream, IMO.

Gish AMG link

MC Pee Pants

classical gas

Quote from: Slog
Quote from: children with angelsDude! Where's

Stumbleine (Best song top play on guitar late, drunk, in front of a fire)

For me, Melon Collie is definitely their best album, no question. They so wonderfully make a whole world out of their music on it - you don't ever want to leave... Also, one of the most musically varied albums of all time.

Absolutely correct

Sorry, i know this was posted months ago, but it's new to me...siamese dreams is their best album.  that's that.