Best Cover

Started by kotte, November 03, 2003, 03:56:26 PM

classical gas

got you all beat....
jimi hendrix 'hey joe'

blackmamba

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw the White Stripes, live, and they did Jolene, and I about pissed myself!!!
You know what I loved the most? I hate it when people do covers and they change the words to fit their sex. Like if a girl originally sings it about a guy she'll say "he" or whatever, and vice versa and the people doing the cover change it to "she". I am not sure why, it's just a pet peeve of mine. But they (Jack and Meg) didn't change a word. So I just stood in the dark, surrounded by a haze of smoke, smiling staring into the night air. It was awesome.

godardian

Quote from: classical gasgot you all beat....
jimi hendrix 'hey joe'

...I like Patti Smith's cover of Jimi's cover even better... She definitely revises, ha ha.

Hole's cover of Young Marble Giants' "Credit in the Straight World" is a radical remake, nothing at all like the original, yet not disrespectful at all... I like that one.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Witkacy

As far as the Sonic Youth cover of Madonna,  they did it as Ciccione Youth in the late 80's,  but my best cover for the last 20 years... Patti Smith's "Gloria" but many others are great but escape my grasp...and my moment. A little too much Saumur... live life.

godardian

Quote from: blackmambaHOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw the White Stripes, live, and they did Jolene, and I about pissed myself!!!
You know what I loved the most? I hate it when people do covers and they change the words to fit their sex. Like if a girl originally sings it about a guy she'll say "he" or whatever, and vice versa and the people doing the cover change it to "she". I am not sure why, it's just a pet peeve of mine. But they (Jack and Meg) didn't change a word. So I just stood in the dark, surrounded by a haze of smoke, smiling staring into the night air. It was awesome.

Morrissey would always leave the original gender intact in covers such as Twinkle's "Golden Lights," Cilla Black's "Work is a Four-Letter Word," and The Cookies' "I Want a Boy for my Birthday."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Primus - In The Flesh (Pink Floyd)

Johnny Cash - Hurt (NIN)

White Stripes - Jolene (Dolly Parton)

Ben Folds - She Don't Use Jelly (Flaming Lips)

Dave Matthews Band - Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin)

Jim's Big Ego - Stress (Dr. Demento)

Flaming Lips f/ Nick Cave - What A Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong?)

NOFX - Last Caress
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

System of a Down - Goodbye Blue Sky (Pink Floyd)

System of a Down - Metro (Berlin)
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

hey walrus, have you heard ben folds live cover of elliott smith's "say yes".  its really pretty/.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Of course, of White Stripes covers, "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" probably goes without saying... still, an excellent and rather unexpected cover.

BrainSushi

Quote from: themodernage02elliott smith covering anything by a beatle.  ie: long, long, long, because, jealous guy, i me mine, etc.

Elliott Smith's cover of Garbage's "Thirteen" pwns the original.

AK

Quote from: SoNowThenNoel Gallagher's version of Help.

Oasis played alive a cover of revolution...wonderful (and i hopefully taped from the concert)

and one of my favourite is U2 cover of "I can't help falling in love"  from Elvis...

Kev Hoffman

Aretha Franklin "Respect"

...and while I'm thinking about it...

Otis Redding "Satisfaction"

Kev Hoffman

also

Cream "The Crossroads"

Reinhold

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeThe only right answer to this is "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix.

unless you're talking about u2's. one of the few songs of theirs that i will openly and willingly bash. it sucked. so did their helter skelter. it is my opinion that nobody, but nobody, should cover any beatles song.

on the db boards, there's a thread for covers i'd like to hear. http://loserboy281.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=Good&action=display&num=1058335786

ben folds' tiny dancer was pretty good.

nobody can argue with Jame's Taylor's You've Got A Friend by Carole King, though.

system did do goodbye blue sky by pink floyd. that was undeniably cool just because it was what it was, but otherwise unnoteworthy.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Jeremy Blackman

Stina Nordenstam, "People are Strange"