Pearl Jam

Started by rustinglass, July 21, 2003, 03:02:55 PM

MacGuffin

'Cold Case' to feature 16 Pearl Jam songs

Since its breakthrough in the early 1990s, Pearl Jam has played by its own rules -- selectively making music videos and generally avoiding other staples of star-making machinery.

But this Sunday, Eddie Vedder and his bandmates are singing a different tune in the most unlikely of showcases -- an aging CBS crime procedural that is widely acknowledged to be fighting for its life.

The earthy grunge of Pearl Jam, including several songs from its newly reissued debut album "Ten," is featured in the season finale of " Cold Case." The episode -- the second of a two-part installment that started last week -- marks the first time the band has allowed any of its original music to be used in a TV show.

Although "Cold Case," which revolves around Philadelphia detectives who investigate unsolved murders, has previously showcased other top artists, including Bruce Springsteen, U2, Bob Dylan and Frank Sinatra as soundtrack music that reflects the time period of the crime, the participation of Pearl Jam represents a coup for the series.

"They had never granted the use of their library to anyone," said executive producer Jennifer Johnson. But "they opened up their whole catalog to us. We wanted to make sure every song matched what was going on."

The season finale of "Cold Case" centers on the 2005 murder of a local military academy's first female cadet. The case resonates for the show's lead detective, Lilly Rush (Kathryn Morris), who was the first female homicide detective in the department.

In all, 16 of Pearl Jam's songs will play across the two episodes and enable the band to reach not only the show's younger fans, but also older viewers of the series.

But the band is handling its prime-time debut with its typical evasiveness and would not return phone calls seeking comment.

The producers are hoping the mash-up will give a boost to their show, now in its sixth season and on the bubble for renewal. Last week's episode drew almost 13 million viewers, its largest audience in six weeks.

Even though Pearl Jam is not as radio-friendly as other artists featured on "Cold Case," executive producer Greg Plageman believes the band meshes with the drama.

"They've been an enduring band since 1990, and that's saying something these days," Plageman said. "They're also a band of integrity. When you hear Pearl Jam, you know it's important music."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Pearl Jam bass player mugged
Jeff Ament suffers head injury in Atlanta attack
Associated Press

ATLANTA -- Police say Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament was mugged outside an Atlanta recording studio.

A Dekalb County police report says three people with knives attacked Ament and a band employee as they arrived at the Southern Tracks recording studio late last month.

Police say the attackers smashed three car windows and grabbed a Blackberry and two computers and demanded money. They stole $3,000 in cash and more than $4,000 worth of items.

The report says Ament tried to get away, but one of the assailants chased him down and knocked him to the ground. Ament suffered a head wound and his passport was stolen.

Surveillance cameras caught the incident but no arrests have been made.

Pearl Jam management had no comment Thursday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

how people say "crazier things have happened" this is that crazier thing ^^^^^

I got the Christmas single in the mail last week. It says, "Happy Holidays, no matter what time of year"

and i still cant get over them performing on conan's first show. what a gig
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Spin the red circle: Pearl Jam partners with Target
Source: Los Angeles Times

A band that long shirked doing music videos, and once took a stand against Ticketmaster, has now linked with big box retailer Target for its upcoming album, according to reports. Target is said to be just one of Pearl Jam's multiple partners on the album, as the band goes without a label after working inside the Sony system for nearly 20 years.

The news hit the Web on antiquet.com last week, and Billboard's Bill Werde posted details today.

But fans, relax! Unlike some other artist-retail partnerships, Pearl Jam's linking with Target won't be an out-and-out exclusive, which should lessen the sting for those upset at the corporate pairing.

Werde quotes Pearl Jam's long-time manager Kelly Curtis as saying, "Target ended up allowing us to have other partners." He also quoted Curtis as saying that the big-box retailer was "cool enough to realize that little independent record stores are not their competition."

Specific details aren't outlined, but hopefully that means the CD, tentatively titled "Backspacer," will be available at key independent retailers such as Seattle's Easy Street, where Pearl Jam once recorded a live EP. Additionally, the album will be for sale via Pearl Jam's Ten Club.

It will be interesting to gauge how Pearl Jam fans react to the news. The band has long been protective of its namesake, forgoing traditional music biz promotional tactics such as music videos. Additionally, the group has earned the deep admiration of fans for a commitment to social causes, and for taking a stand against Ticketmaster in the mid-'90s.

The band has a tight relationship with its audience — check Pearl Jam's official bootleg releases — and its fan base is a protective lot. In 2007, when frontman Eddie Vedder, who Pop & Hiss is proud to note is a Chicago Cubs fan, performed at a private Hollywood concert to generate Oscar hype for the music of "Into the Wild,  I covered the event, and received numerous e-mails from fans dismayed that Vedder would perform a concert that was closed to the public.

Seeing veteran artists link with mass retailers is nothing new. The Eagles and AC/DC have had great success doing so, and Prince recently partnered with Target for the release of his three-disc set. Yet it sounds like Pearl Jam's relationship is one that will grant the band more freedom, as the aforementioned artists did not allow other North American outlets to sell the album.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I got so excited to see them performing at Conan's, but then saw the new album does not come out til September. Damnit.

squints

so pearl jam was alright tonight then. Steve Earle woulda been more fun.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Neil

Alright, so here's the situation. There was once a time, when i thought of pearl jam, and could only hear the radio singles.  I have never sat through a full album listen while chillin w/ lyrics, and have never gave them the time to assume they actually have a message or something cool to do/say etc.

This is sort of directed at Bethie, i believe you're the PJ fan? At any rate, i have got my hands on the full length versions of 'ten' and 'vs'

i'm just sort of looking for a good exposition to really hear the view point of a true fan.  I am obviously going to listen and ya know, let it exist and fit in my life where it belongs, but I need someone who knows what they are talking about to sort of bring me up to date. I really was a nay sayin sob towards this band for a while.  The recluse thing after jeremy kinda pissed me off, "We had a message and MTV exploited that!!!" get in fucking line fellas.  but again, i'm holding them mostly to limelight behavior. I need to look past that immediately

edit; anyone who is not bethie that holds an opinion sincere or not, please share.  i just have to make sure and be really specific, try and leave zero room for misinterpretation

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

What? Just listen to the fucking music. If your ability to enjoy it is that dependent on someone being able to justify their place in music history to you, then it's time to just stop listening to music entirely, you're doing it wrong.

Neil

spoken like a true xixax member, well done tool.

What a wise thing to say  "YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE MUSIC, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!" get over yourself.  I enjoy talking and listening to music.  For fuck sake you elitist prick, let's use the language we've all agreed upon
Quote from: Neil on June 02, 2009, 10:26:47 PM

I am obviously going to listen and ya know, let it exist and fit in my life where it belongs,

This full post can also mean; hey, i like to discuss things, and if you like something and i do, let's discuss it. Pretty fucking wrong isn't it, that's not very artsy!!!!

Maybe one day i can listen to music and enjoy it to the fullest extent just like YOU!!!! Yay

polkablues

You might have meant "let's have a discussion about Pearl Jam," but that's not at all what you said. How I interpreted your post was "someone justify liking Pearl Jam to me before I even bother listening to them." I don't think it's elitist to think that's retarded. If that wasn't what you meant, fine, my bad, but that's exactly how it read.

Neil

blaming me for a misinterpretation?  Good idea, it's my fault you decided to get defensive about me asking to talk about two albums which i have finally attained to LISTEN TO.  Pretty fucking difficult concept.

Quote from: polkablues on June 03, 2009, 10:38:47 AM
You might have meant "let's have a discussion about Pearl Jam," but that's not at all what you said. How I interpreted your post was "someone justify liking Pearl Jam to me before I even bother listening to them." I don't think it's elitist to think that's retarded. If that wasn't what you meant, fine, my bad, but that's exactly howit I read it.

there you go, all better, i never said "please tell me what is to like about pearl jam.  I admitted to not liking them for no good reason, and that media stereotypes backed up those opinions, so there i go becoming a puppet, and swallowing what everyone feeds me. so where does me asking bethie about a band transform into "I need reasons to like this band" I'm not a fucking idiot, the point of music is to listen, i was fairly confident in the fact that we could look past the obvious way to consume art or a given artist, and talk about the art....maybe i should make a forum dedicated to this idea.  or maybe people will just call my statements "retarded" and make them lose all value.   :yabbse-sad:

Did you and pete wake up on the same side of the bed or what?

RegularKarate

Neil, while Polka's reply was a little over-angry, I read your initial post in almost the same way so it's not necessarily him that is to blame for the misinterpretation.

Also "you're doing it wrong" is funny... so chill out.

That being said, I still love Ten and VS, but I Vitalogy made me sick and the rest blurs together in my memory.  When do they get better after that?  I mildly enjoyed the song on Conan, but really the best thing that's come out of PJ since VS (that I've heard) is Vedder's solo stuff.

Neil

See, was that so difficult, just keep your interpretations of text to yourself, unless you have something to comment on in regards to the subject matter.  I can't really comment on what you add to what i say, that's your prerogative.  If one wants to cling  these common music snob knee jerk reactions. so be it, but i can't allow putting words into my mouth.  Basically what seemed to happen was picking out a few pieces of my post that doesn't work without the rest.   When i say i want to give something a chance, generally speaking, that is what it means...shocking i know, but anyone who wants to sit down and listen to an album in its entirety with the lyrics, must be the type of child that needs to be told why he or she should like something

I've started with Vs. so, i can't wait to talk about it, what a rocker.

tpfkabi

my favorite album throughout is No Code.

when i was younger i probably preferred it least to the prior 3 albums though.

I liked most of Yield, tuned out during the Binuaral years. when Riot Act came out i was interested by the single so i bought it, but wasn't blown away by it. didn't get the self titled.

btw - did anyone hear that limited Ament album that came out last year?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.