Brett Ratner

Started by Spike, June 13, 2003, 04:09:31 PM

MacGuffin

Paris on Ratner's Casting Couch

Director Brett Ratner says he has big plans for Paris Hilton.

TMZ spotted "Rush Hour" director Ratner outside of Mr. Chow last night, where he revealed his plans to work with the fresh-outta-jail heiress on, um, one of his next projects.

The only clues Brett would give were that it's not "X-Men 4" (please, keep this man away from that franchise!) and that it was "better than that." With "Rush Hour 3" already in post-production, the only things on his plate right now are an untitled crime caper with Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy, and the just announced biopic of Playboy grandpa Hugh Hefner.

Paris opposite Chris and Eddie? Or Paris as a dumb bunny? That was easy.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

DiCaprio seduced by Playboy drama
Source: Guardian Unlimited

Leonardo DiCaprio is in talks to star as Hugh Hefner in a big screen biopic of the notorious Playboy founder. A long-term friend of Hefner, the actor is also believed to be a regular visitor at the Playboy mansion in Los Angeles. Early reports quote an unnamed source as saying, "Leo thinks it would make a great movie and Hugh would love Leo to do it - on the condition that Hugh is alive to see it."

Brett Ratner is attached to direct the film, entitled Playboy. The project is to be produced by Hollywood veteran Brian Glazer, who is reported to have bought the rights to Hefner's story several years ago.

Glazer recently spoke of his admiration for Hefner, remarking, "Hef came from a puritanical upbringing and reinvented himself to be the godfather of the sexual revolution. He also used his magazine to advocate civil rights and free speech. He broke all kinds of taboos, especially in sexuality." The producer went on to outline his plans for the film: "I want to show it all, from the First Amendment struggles to his first orgy to the stroke in the 1980s that almost killed him."

This film is not the first to tell the story of the 81-year-old icon. A TV movie, Hefner: Unauthorised, was made in 1999. Despite the film's unauthorised status and generally negative portrayal of its subject, Hefner proclaimed himself a big fan and subsequently promoted the production in interviews.

Hefner has recently forged a second career playing himself on TV, taking cameo roles in Sex and the City and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

DiCaprio has already gained considerable plaudits for portraying controversial real-life figures. He was Oscar nominated for his turn as Howard Hughes in Martin Scorsese's The Aviator and also played con artist Frank Abagnale in Steven Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ratner in new 20th TV deal
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Brett Ratner has closed a new two-year overall deal with 20th Century Fox TV.

Under the pact, Ratner will continue to develop and direct TV series projects for the studio though his production company, Rat Television.

Under his previous deal with 20th TV, Ratner is executive producing the studio's upcoming drama series for ABC, "Women's Murder Club." He was slated to direct the pilot for the show based on James Patterson's book series, but had to pull out to focus on his feature "Rush Hour 3," which opens Aug. 10.

Ratner also executive produces the 20th TV/Fox drama series "Prison Break" after directing and executive producing the pilot for the show. "Prison" returns for a third season in the fall.

Last year, Ratner, 20th TV and Roundtable Entertainment received a put pilot commitment from Fox for "Blue Blood," a cop drama project based on Edward Conlon's memoir.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Brett Ratner Knows Gay Sex:

http://advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid47827.asp

What about when the girl takes off her wig and Chris Tucker becomes angry and accuses her of being a man?

Ratner: No, no! That's from my personal experience. My first blow job was from a man, but I didn't know it was a man. That's where that comes from. It's based on personal experience. It happens to a lot of people.

Is that common knowledge?

Ratner: No! Well, among my friends, but I'm not homophobic or uptight about it. That happens to a lot of heterosexuals. You meet a girl in a bar, and it turns out she's not a girl. I think a girl should tell you if she's a girl or a man--that way it's your preference. It's comedy. Look, in this movie we don't pull any punches. We make fun of black people. We make fun of Chinese people. We make fun of French people. We make fun of gay situations. We make fun of whites. It doesn't matter. It's the type of movie it is. It's a fish-out-of-water comedy. You have to have those types of situations to have the comedy. That specific idea was because it's happened to me. It's happened to my friends. We'll get together with a girl, and it'll turn out to be a guy. The reaction is "Oh, shit!" if you're not gay, which is funny, I think. Getting into the situation is funny. I laugh whenever I see one of my friends talking to a girl, and I'll ask, "Is that a man or a woman?" It's funny, especially if you don't know about it. If you know about it, fine. If that's your preference...

I never expected that answer.

Ratner: I know! I know. I'm too good an interview. Did you expect me to challenge you?

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

This guy just can't do anything right can he? He can't even get a blowjob right.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Why the web hates Ratner
What has Mr. Ratner done to upset the fanboys and film loving bloggers so deeply?
Source: Los Angeles Times

Across the entertainment landscape of the Internet, perhaps no director is so reviled as Brett Ratner. The bloggers, it seems really, really hate him. And while they gleefully admit to hating lots of people, their most searing venom tends to be reserved for Ratner.

Defamer has described him as a "preternaturally hacky" director (we can't print what Defamer's readers like to call him in the comments section.) And Suicide Girls' entertainment blogger Kevin Seccia is planning to file a post called "Brett Ratner: Please Kill Yourself" imminently.

Which left us wondering why. Surely the world of entertainment is rife with loathsome people, ruining franchises, destroying beloved characters. What has Mr. Ratner done to upset the fanboys and film loving bloggers so deeply?

There was, of course only one way to find out. Ask the entertainment bloggers themselves. So we sent out a mass email to a few of our favorite web folks and asked them the simple question. "Why does the web hate Brett?"

Here's what they had to say.

Chris Thilk, www.MovieMarketingMadness.com
"The net hates Brett Ratner because he symbolizes everything that's slick and soulless about Hollywood right now. So much of the net is devoted toward celebrating films that are off the beaten path and feature original voices and brave performances. Ratner, on the other hand, is all about style with absolutely no substance. He's like a frat boy with a $150 million budget. The net, on the other hand, is all about sending people down the Long Tail toward more worthwhile, artistic films. He's everything the net has set out to protect people from. And to add insult to injury his movies often make decent cash, which just infuriates people."

Jeffrey Wells, www.Hollywood-Elsewhere.com
"Because he gets paid too much and laid too much for being, at best, a passable but mediocre director. It's not that he's greatly hated -- Michael Bay and McG have been much more deeply despised. Last week's Ratner-bash came in response to Scott Foundas' L.A. Weekly piece that argued that Ratner is a serious director who's worthy of respect. That's what caused the big outburst. Ratner's a likable guy, all in all.

Erik Davis, Cinematical.com
"Apart from the fact that he's one casting session away from an appearance on Dateline's To Catch a Predator series, the guy's films are all style and no substance. When he stops using scripts to get himself laid, and starts using them as the first step toward a compelling motion picture, perhaps "The Web" will like him more. But seeing as his smile is creepier than his take on Hannibal Lecter, I'd say most folks aren't very optimistic."

Kevin Seccia, http://suicidegirls.com/members/TheCoolerKing/news/
"I think they hate Brett because, for whatever reason, people enjoy movies that are well made... and Brett has yet to bother catering to that. Also, I think when you're the least interesting person in the room... and this room also contains Paris Hilton, the last thing you should be doing is putting your vision' on screen.

I mean, he accomplishes more in less time. It took him one movie to undo what Brian Singer accomplished in 2."

Berge Garabedian, www.joblo.com
"I don't personally hate him myself ('The Family Man' is actually one of my favorite movies), but the sense is that he comes from a rich background (i.e. he's spoiled), doesn't really know all that much about movies (started as a rap-music video director, I believe) and messed up the 'X-MEN' franchise with part 3 -- although in his defense, the producers who hurried the project were more to blame for that, in my humble opinion. He also seems to be known more for partying and nailing hot chicks than directing, which probably bothers some as well...hehehe. I'd say that he's more of a so-so director who's caught some damn lucky breaks, it seems."

Dave Davis, www.joblo.com (too)
"This isn't necessarily my own opinion (not completely), but I think the general perception is that his success is unjustified -- he seems to have skated on minimal talent, an abundance of luck, and being a very slick talker to the people in the business who matter. Some people are probably annoyed by his socialite behavior and a few bonehead statements he's made to the press (and more than a few rumors about his aloof filmmaking process and extracurricular activities), while he has yet to develop any real visual style to define himself as a director. That said, I wouldn't mind being him for a few days."

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 07, 2007, 12:26:13 AM
Some people are probably annoyed by his socialite behavior and a few bonehead statements he's made to the press (and more than a few rumors about his aloof filmmaking process and extracurricular activities), while he has yet to develop any real visual style to define himself as a director. That said, I wouldn't mind being him for a few days."

and the second thing I thought of was:

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

why didn't they ask us?

Pubrick, www.xixax.com
"The interweb hates him because he is a puke, he is the lowest form of life on earth, he's not even human fucking being, he's nothing but an unorganised, grabasstic piece of amphibian shit. He's a slimy little communist shit twinkle-toed cocksucker, a scroungy little fucking worm, he's 5'8", i didn't know they stacked shit that high, the best part of him ran down the crack of his mama's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress, he's the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I hope he leans forward and chokes himself.

But worst of all, he wouldn't get that reference."
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pubrick on August 07, 2007, 10:43:47 AM
But worst of all, he wouldn't get that reference."

I'm sure he'll go look it up now though.

Regularkarate, www.xixax.com

"The internet hates Brett Ratner because he keeps getting paid to sleepwalk through film shoots.
The internet hates Brettsky because he continues to get handed gold nuggets and immediately turn them into gobs of phlegm.
The internet hates The Rat because the internet is pretty sure that he fucked the internet's niece.
The internet hates Brettner because he's like a cat sucking the soul out of baby then coming over to you to get petted.
The internet hates Brettatouille because he keeps inviting himself to our parties even though he really belongs at lame date-rape keggers.

Mostly though, the internet hates Brett Ratner because the internet got tired of hating Joel Shumacher."

modage

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/chris_tucker_and_brett_ratner

choice bits...

"He is like the new Spielberg, you know? He's a creative person. A lot of directors, they're creative, but they're different. He is the new Spielberg." - Chris Tucker (is an idiot)

Brett tells the PT story again... (which is why i hate him)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on August 07, 2007, 02:34:25 PM
Brett tells the PT story again... (which is why i hate him)

in this version PT calls him from the EWS set. why the hell would he do that???
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: squints on August 07, 2007, 01:41:53 AM
and the second thing I thought of was:

Tarantino kissing feet

The difference being that QT had the sense to have Chris Tucker killed in one of his films while Ratner made four films with the guy.

marquee suggestion:

"oh man, you don't understand, we love rush hour."

it seems that polanski totally forgot how to speak english and keeps repeating that.
context, context, context.

Gold Trumpet

The headline says Bergman, but I think this out of nowhere rapid discussion is making this Brett Ratner month.

john

I have no reason to read interviews like this. There's nothing educational, inspiring, or original to be had. The only film I've seen by Ratner has been Red Dragon, out of curiosity intriguing casting. Evaluating it doesn't really add anything to the pantheon of Ratner criticisms that haven't already been stated: it was pretty much all artifice, lack any distinguishable style, and wasted a pretty decent cast without actually being intolerable, just forgettable...

Any notoriety on his behalf has only been heard secondhand... the closest to not liking this guy I've gotten is hearing the PTA story a couple years ago... even that I confused with the Paul W. S. Anderson story from a few years back.

But I did read this interview... and I've come to a further, more concise, conclusion....

This guy is a real piece of shit.

He'd be tolerable, if he didn't defend his bullshit so boisterously - and poorly. He'd be tolerable if he was what he is: a hack for hire. Not trying to create a persona to represent his work.... not trying to name drop directors that, apparently, like him and his bullshit films.

The worst of it, for me, was continually pointing out that he's a fan of other filmmakers.

No shit, a director that admires other peoples work... fucking amazing. Real cut above the rest, huh?

Let's go back to the already recited "frat boy" reference... because it's true, he really is that guy. I'd imagine him to be the kind of dude who would try to impress a girl by saying something like, "you know, a lot of people like movies... but what most people don't really know is that, like, the director is responsible for, like, that vision. Like, I mean, I love Boondock Saints, right? That movie is fucking awesome. But how many people know it's totally because of Troy Duffy - yeah, he directed that."

Brett Ratner can go fuck himself.

It's like that line from The Simpsons:

Jay Sherman: "How do you sleep at night?"

Reiner Wolfcastle: "On a big pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful ladies."

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.