New Fall Shows

Started by Kal, May 16, 2006, 09:54:40 AM

polkablues

Quote from: edison on June 11, 2006, 02:35:38 PM
The site for Heroes is now up with a 4 minute commercial.

http://www.nbc.com/NBC_First_Look/Heroes/

This is one of the few shows that I have been looking forward to.

This show looks ballsy and creative, which makes me fear for its life.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Hm, it's interesting, but to me has some similarities to Lost: international ensemble, connected by strange super natural occurences that tie them together. Also, if that Middle Eastern guy is the geneticist that did this to them, how he is the same age? Or maybe that's not the plot?
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on June 12, 2006, 03:52:58 AM
has some similarities to Lost
not least of which is how the cast is displayed..

i thought Lost had made that line-up look its trademark image. or is this conventional for american shows? seems pretty ridiculous.

the efforts of marketing geniuses at NBC notwithstanding, i like the premise. but most of all i like this:

under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Standing in anticipation is a kinda standard, I seem to think CSI type shows do that a lot, but not with a brewing storm in the back.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

Things that are good about this show:

It's good to see that, despite a marketing campaign that they clearly made by scanning the cover of the Lost first season DVD and photoshopping different actors in, this might be the first post-Lost show that actually has figured out what makes Lost a good show, and emulates that part as well.

It's good to see Adrian Pasdar in something that's not on the PAX network.

It's good to see that Ali Larter can be in something that's not a Final Destination movie.

It's good to see Greg Grunberg with an actual role.

It's good to see Hayden Panettiere all growed up.

Especially that last one.  Yowza!

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on June 12, 2006, 11:11:50 AMi thought Lost had made that line-up look its trademark image. or is this conventional for american shows? seems pretty ridiculous.

The Nine
So much in life is beyond your control. One day you wake up and go to work like a regular day. Suddenly a random moment, an accident, a blessing, even a stranger, comes from out of the blue and redirects your life forever. But it's up to you to decide if that moment will stop you in your tracks or lift you up to new heights.

Today nine people face just such an unexpected twist when they are caught in a bank robbery gone wrong and endure a 52-hour hostage standoff that will leave two persons dead. When all is said and done, these nine people will never be the same. They will always share the common bond of what happens inside the bank...which only they'll know. And they will be forever affected and intertwined because of it.

From the creator of Without a Trace and an executive producer of The West Wing comes a dramatic character study that will keep audiences hooked from the beginning of the bank robbery to the end of the hostage standoff. Taking a twist from Lost, each episode will begin with a flashback to reveal another 10 minutes of the hostage crisis, uncovering why and how these nine strangers are still linked today. Starring Tim Daly (Wings), Chi McBride (Boston Public), and Scott Wolf (Party of Five).

Cast:Lourdes Benedicto, Camille Guaty, Scott Wolf, Jessica Collins, Tim Daly, Kim Raver, John Billingsley, Chi McBride, Dana Davis, Owain Yeoman

http://abc.go.com/primetime/schedule/2006-07/thenine.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 14, 2006, 12:58:59 AM

Fifth from right: is that Audrey from 24?

Fourth from left: is that Katharine McPhee?

polkablues

Gamblour.

Wait, what? I thought J J Abrams had an idea just like this (seriously, I know I read that somewhere), but it doesn't say he's connected to it here or on IMDb. Also, is every Party of Five cast member gonna get a second chance on interconnected-plot shows?
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on June 15, 2006, 09:30:27 AM
is every Party of Five cast member gonna get a second chance
that to me is the biggest Lost rip-off.
under the paving stones.

picolas

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 14, 2006, 12:58:59 AMa 52-hour hostage standoff...

each episode will begin with a flashback to reveal another 10 minutes of the hostage crisis
am i reading this wrong or will it be 312 episodes before we know what happened?

polkablues

Quote from: picolas on June 15, 2006, 02:20:52 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on June 14, 2006, 12:58:59 AMa 52-hour hostage standoff...

each episode will begin with a flashback to reveal another 10 minutes of the hostage crisis
am i reading this wrong or will it be 312 episodes before we know what happened?

Pretty ambitious for a show that's going to get cancelled six weeks into the season.

Weak2ndAct

I saw the pilot for 'Heroes,' which is actually pretty decent, though I was a little disappointed to not see Greg Grunberg in it.  Plus, the guy 2nd from left in the above pic didn't show up either.  I heard that it was a 2 part premiere or whatever, so we'll see if they show up.  Anyway, a solar eclipse happens and seems somehow tied in to a bunch of random citizens discovering their superpowers.  The Indian guy's father was researching human development and potential, and has died under mysterious circumstances, so he comes to NY to follow up, only to be pursued by some mysterious sinister guy (who I will not spoil, has a relationship with one of the leads).  The show has a narrator and chapter headings, and the end of the 1st ep. basically sets the stage for big trouble (for the season?  or series?) that an apocalypse is gonna happen (nicely revealed at the end of the end via art) unless these random people bound together to stop it.  It's an interesting setup, and I'm curious to see what the season arc will be-- this threat?  or getting together?  The weakest link in the show is clearly Larter and her story, who's power seems to be having an evil twin in a mirror?  She plays a total ho-bag with a typical too-smart kid.  The show is also suprisingly gory (severed limbs, grizzly murders, and Hayden P. shows off her rib cage, but not into Hollywood-anorexia way if you follow).  Overall, it's pretty cool, and definitely 'Unbreakable'-ish (I mean that in a good way, I like it). 

Also, as for the competing 'SNL' shows, Sorkin's is clearly the best.  Ten times funnier than Fey's '30 Rock,' and it's the dramatic one!  '30' is a complete trainwreck.  It never recovers from the awful opening and I found it amusing that the show w/in the show was called 'The Girlie Show,' (and a star vehicle for Dratch's character  :saywhat:), which is what I often thought SNL had turned into. 

Weird. Oh

I saw the pilot for Aaron Sorkin's new series Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and must say if you've enjoyed the previous works, Sports Night and The West Wing i think you'll enjoy this. Has all the dressings of both series and the pilot delivers pretty well. I think this is available on Youtube already (I downloaded it off of a bittorrent site). I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who liked either Sports Night or the West Wing.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

grand theft sparrow

I didn't want to start another thread for a show most of us are probably not going to watch in a few weeks so I thought I'd just post here instead.

I watched the first episode of The Nine last night and obviously it's no Lost and it might lose steam by mid-season but it's off to a promising start.  It's got the flashback thing but it's not as "Lost-y" as Heroes (despite a former Party of Five cast member playing a doctor AND Hurley's mother playing the mother of 2 hostages) and it's a better written show.  So no, Polka, it's not that we're all spoiled by Lost.  This is definitely worth watching.  Plus, it's got the Velvet Teddy Bear of acting, Chi McBride. 

Five minutes into the show, I remember thinking, "This is one of those shows that I'll watch the first one, I'll never watch again but I'll read up on it to find out what happened."  But I got into it after a while.  Nothing that I can recall made me cringe or roll my eyes so that's a good sign.  Actually, I take that back.  The Alvy Singer-esque rant Scott Wolf has about ATM lines that gets him and his girlfriend to go into the bank was very forced.  But other than that, I never felt like I was one step ahead of it.  I'm interested to find out why a 5 minute robbery turned into a 52 hour standoff, why the hostages changed so drastically afterwards, and why they are all so drawn to each other on the outside. 

I don't want to say I'm hooked yet, but I'm taking the bait.