Generation Kill

Started by cron, July 14, 2008, 06:27:01 PM

www.hbo.com
Anyone saw the premiere last night? It's super brilliant, especially the ending, in which the essence of the war is captured in a glorious single shot. 
For those of you that haven't heard about this, it's based on the eponymous book by evan wright about the first days of the iraq occupation and adapted by david simon and ed burns , the masterminds behind the fucking wire. Their trademarks are all over this, never letting go of the serious journalistic perspective of the borderline non-fiction material. Good job :salute:.
context, context, context.

matt35mm

I don't have HBO so I'll save my boner for when it comes out on DVD.  Still, nice to hear that it's good.

squints

I'm glad its good. I was worried. I still haven't seen it yet but i finished reading the book a month or two ago. The story's there and in the hands of simon I trust it. But i was worried because a) i won't be able to help but compare this with the Wire and b) a lot of the marines i know who've read the book despised it. Its crazy that one of the characters from the book is playing himself. I can't wait to see this.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

it's a little slow in the beginning and I can't keep track of all the characters, but I do enjoy all the information they share about being in the marine and that final scene.  ed burns and david simon aren't ever short on insights.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Fernando

Quote from: pete on July 15, 2008, 01:34:16 AM
it's a little slow in the beginning and I can't keep track of all the characters, but I do enjoy all the information they share about being in the marine and that final scene.

That's exactly what I thought and that happened to me when I watched the first ep. of The Wire (so this is a good sign), I wonder if you had the same experience the first time you watched it.

Needless to say I'll watch this religiously, great first episode.

i wish i could watch this show with subtitles. sometimes it's hard to follow what's going on.

pete

I know what you mean, but I just went over the troubled spots a few times, and just kept watching, and as the show went on it became pretty clear.
- Buster Keaton

pete

3rd episode was a fucking masterpiece.
- Buster Keaton

Fernando

Agree, great episode, with this one I feel that finally am getting to know more deeply all the characters, also glad Benjamin Busch (officer Colicchio in the wire) had something to say, it can only get better from now on.

2nd ep. felt a lot like the so called second part of FMJ and this one felt like an antiwar film, maybe like Paths of Glory.

pete

I felt like it wasn't entirely antiwar though; its main characters were good soldiers who were trying to do the right thing and could've done the right thing had them been given the opportunity.
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

I fucked up on the wire by getting hooked and watching all 5 seasons in the span of 2 days.

I'm gonna take this one slower.

I'm gonna watch the first 3 episodes tomorrow. Back 2 back.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

Quote from: pete on July 30, 2008, 08:31:35 PM
I felt like it wasn't entirely antiwar though; its main characters were good soldiers who were trying to do the right thing and could've done the right thing had them been given the opportunity.

You're probably right, maybe I felt like that because Trombley's attitude sickened me (even though he followed an order) and more than the shooting it was how he didn't give a shit about the injured boy, also to see how the top officers make decisions based on personal gain. But yeah, the soldiers look like a bunch of good guys except the psycho.

last episode made me put my hands on my face to not see what's happening. that had never happened in my adult life.

pete

spoilers.

I dunno, some moments are still brilliant, but as a whole it wasn't as impressive as the last one.  it was good to see them finally winning one battle, but the ending felt too similar to the other episodes - another innocent victim shot, and gets confronted by grieving family members.
- Buster Keaton