Chappelle Show official thread

Started by prophet, February 20, 2004, 03:34:57 PM

squints

Is it the same on as the "Cum in the fish tank....ohh they're eatin it!"?

that's for what its worth
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Quote from: pete on January 18, 2006, 07:03:45 PM
also, not to be all sensitive and stuff, but it really irks me that this thread is still called "funny ass nigga".  Now that prophet is gone, can someone please modified the title to something slightly less hip-white-guy?

Who changed it?  Are we giving Pete a hard time?  Because it's called "Chappelle's Show"

If we're giving Pete a hard time, I'm fine with it, but if not, let's change it to reflect the correct title.

MacGuffin

Chappelle Said Unhappy With Network Plans

DAYTON, Ohio - Comedian Dave Chappelle says he may never return to his hit Comedy Central show if the cable network goes through with plans to air new episodes culled from material he filmed before leaving the series.

"I feel like it's kind of a bully move," Chappelle told the Dayton Daily News in a telephone interview for a story Wednesday. "That's just how I feel about it. I don't know if that's the case. But if people don't watch it, then I'd be more than happy."

Last May, Chappelle stunned his fans and the entertainment industry by skipping out on a $50 million contract and leaving "Chappelle's Show" in mid-production. He spent two weeks in South Africa before returning home to his farm near Yellow Springs, Ohio. He has since resumed performing live standup.

Chappelle said his possible return to "Chappelle's Show" is still up in the air.

"But I think if they air that stuff, I can't see how I'm going to be able to," he told the Daily News. "That will damage our relationship."

Comedy Central has said in the past it plans to air the material, but wouldn't comment on any current specific plans.

"We are still waiting patiently for Dave to return to work, but we know that our viewers are looking forward to seeing the material he produced for the third season," Comedy Central said in a written statement.

Chappelle was scheduled to do a standup show and attend the premiere of his new movie "Dave Chappelle's Block Party" in the Dayton area Wednesday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

The sooner Comedy Central realizes that Dave Chappelle is never coming back to them, and the sooner Dave Chappelle realizes that he's never going back to Comedy Central, the sooner we can all get on with our post-Chappelle's Show lives.

In other words, just stop playing each others' games and show the episodes you've got.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

sometimes i wish i could just run up to dave chapelle and shake him! -- "Look man, EVERYONE LOVES YOUR SHOW! You're arguably the ONE comedian that EVERYONE loves! The show is BRILLIANT! The Rick James and Prince episodes are two of the funniest things that have EVER aired on TV! We love it! Comedy Central obviously loves you b/c they're willing to pay you $50 million! You've made it man! ENJOY IT!"

although i do sympathize with his plight to some degree. the pressure, yadda yadda. plus, having obnoxious 13 year olds running up to you going "I'm Rick James BITCH!" while your walking your two-year old in the park can't be too fun.

so yeah, it's a tough one.  :ponder:

pete

but chappelle didn't want those episodes shown, according to what he said on oprah, 'cause he hated this generation of kids who watched his show to laugh at them crrraazy black folks (same with Conan who disliked the same crowd for missing the point of his more obvious jokes).  he realized at a certain point he was responsible for a whole lot, and had to rethink the whole thing.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

I can't blame him for feeling dejected if he creates some very good sketches, even if the show itself was uneven, and people reducing the show to two catchphrases. 

A friend and I actually talked about something like this a few years ago.  I said that Chappelle's Show often used stereotypes to comment on whatever the subject was, while satirizing the stereotypes themselves (Mad Real World, Tyrone Biggums), and he replied that most people probably don't understand the show on that level and just laugh at what they see onscreen.  When many people seem to have only gotten "I'm Rick James, bitch" and "wwwwwhhhat" from the show, I think he was right.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

By leaving Chappelle cemented the words he wasn't proud of.  He left the jokes that he didn't like embedded in the audience's minds since he only kicked out two seasons saturated with them.  Why didn't he follow up with a third season, which apparently he had at least some creative control (if not quite a lot) and put jokes that would point that stuff out?

It was clear with some of his jokes that he wanted to say more and be taken more seriously, but he knew his audience.  I don't blame him for using dick and fart jokes along with intelligent jokes to reach all audiences, but I do blame him for giving up.  He had a lot of control, and he was just beginning to actually slide the things he wanted to be heard into his jokes.  The Black White Supremacist sketch was shocking, but the message was hilarious.  Especially the skit where he had a pretty white girl sing his thoughts so the censors would let him get away with it.  There's no doubt in my mind that he believes crack and AIDS were invented to destroy the black community, as well as his love for lesbians.  Whether or not he was right wasn't the point.  He had many more things to say than he even led us to believe, and I think he needs to take Comedy Central's offer and just say it, and use that money for charity or however he stipulated.

If he doesn't, he'll just look like an unintelligent flake, and we at least know he's somewhat intelligent.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Chappelle explains himself to Esquire

Dave Chappelle says in a new interview that he had several reasons for walking away from his cult-fave "Chappelle's Show" -- and a deal worth more than $50 million.

His decision to leave the Comedy Central series last May led fans and industry executives to question his motives, and his sanity.

But in a 10-page spread in the Esquire magazine arriving Saturday, he says he closed "Chappelle" for reasons cultural, professional and personal.

Culturally: "The bottom line was, white people own everything, and where can a black person go and be himself or say something that's familiar to him and not have to explain or apologize?"

Professionally: "I felt like I was really pressured to settle for something that I didn't necessarily feel like I wanted."

Personally: "The thing about show business is that, in a way, it forces dysfunctional relationships in people."

Chappelle tells the magazine that putting on "Chappelle's Show" was the best television experience he ever had. He plans to continue telling jokes and entertaining audiences, he says, so long as he can retain a degree of personal and creative freedom.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

so can anyone explain to me, maybe it was mentioned in the many articles written about him.. did he get to keep the money? wasn't the money for the shows he didn't do?
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

He "walked away" from a 50 million dollar deal, so I imagine he didn't take it. 
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Final 'Chappelle's Show' Episodes Get Airdate
'Lost' sketches debut on Comedy Central in July
Source: Zap2It.com

Comedy Central has finally set an airdate for the final episodes of "Chappelle's Show," which will feature sketches Dave Chappelle completed before walking away from the series.

The network will unveil what it's calling "Chappelle's Show: The Lost Episodes" on Sunday, July 9. For those keeping score at home, that's more than two years since the last original installment of the show first aired and 15-plus months since Comedy Central's last scheduled premiere date for season three.

Soon after Comedy Central made that announcement, Chappelle quit the show, raising rumors that he'd suffered a breakdown and sought treatment in Africa. The comedian did indeed visit Africa but has repeatedly denied rumors that anything was wrong with him.

He has since said in interviews that his widely publicized fat contract -- which was reportedly worth as much as $50 million -- and stories about him having writer's block caused undue stress. He also says he became uncomfortable with the direction the show was taking: "I was doing sketches that were funny but socially irresponsible," he told Oprah Winfrey in February."

"Chappelle's Show" regulars Charlie Murphy and Donnell Rawlings will introduce the sketches, as Chappelle hadn't filmed any introductions before his departure.

In addition to "The Lost Episodes," Comedy Central will also unveil new seasons of "Reno 911!" and "Mind of Mencia" on July 9.

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

I can't believe no one has commented on how terrible these "lost episodes" have been.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: squints on July 17, 2006, 03:01:23 PM
I can't believe no one has commented on how terrible these "lost episodes" have been.

I don't know about last night's but last week was pretty funny.  That Tupac skit in particular was classic Chappelle.

squints

I think i'm particularly referring to how god-awful last nights entire episode was. The whole "racial fairy" skit makes me think that it was the one chappelle walked out during.