Godard

Started by Duck Sauce, February 01, 2003, 08:29:30 PM

MacGuffin

Janus plans multicity run of 'Pierrot'
Godard film to screen at Brooklyn's BAM
Source: Variety

Janus Films has planned a multicity run of a new 35mm print of Jean-Luc Godard's 1965 pic "Pierrot le fou."

Run kicks off June 15 at Brooklyn's BAMcinematek, followed by a screening at Toronto's Cinematheque Ontario on July 26; dates in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and other cities will be announced later.

Loosely based on Lionel White's novel "Obsession," pic stars Jean-Paul Belmondo and Anna Karina.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 06, 2005, 05:13:22 PM
Quote from: JimmyGator on November 06, 2005, 04:56:51 PM
Can we expect a criterion release of breathless anytime soon.  if no, why not?  the quality of the DVD i netflixed is lacking. 

I'm surprised Criterion hasn't released it yet. I figured it was a rights issue, but Rialto has confirmed that Criterion does own the rights. Its just a matter of when they can get around to releasing it. Realizing Criterion tries to release a few Godards a year, I'd say sooner than later.

Gold Trumpet = nostradamus

i wonder if Pierrot involves Rialto at all and if this is pointing towards Criterion as well (i think GT has mentioned this film in Criterion 'possibles/likelys). i don't know why they wait until long after the theatrical run, these types of films would attract people that appreciate the theater experience, (it's not like the latest album early leak or something) and i wouldn't think it would affect dvd sales. the only reason i could think is putting all the extras together - or maybe transferring a print to dvd is more complicated than i realize.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on June 04, 2007, 10:35:27 PM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 06, 2005, 05:13:22 PM
Quote from: JimmyGator on November 06, 2005, 04:56:51 PM
Can we expect a criterion release of breathless anytime soon.  if no, why not?  the quality of the DVD i netflixed is lacking. 

I'm surprised Criterion hasn't released it yet. I figured it was a rights issue, but Rialto has confirmed that Criterion does own the rights. Its just a matter of when they can get around to releasing it. Realizing Criterion tries to release a few Godards a year, I'd say sooner than later.

Gold Trumpet = nostradamus

i wonder if Pierrot involves Rialto at all and if this is pointing towards Criterion as well (i think GT has mentioned this film in Criterion 'possibles/likelys). i don't know why they wait until long after the theatrical run, these types of films would attract people that appreciate the theater experience, (it's not like the latest album early leak or something) and i wouldn't think it would affect dvd sales. the only reason i could think is putting all the extras together - or maybe transferring a print to dvd is more complicated than i realize.

No doubt this will be a Criterion release. I'm not sure it is Rialto, though. Janus is the headliner, but BAM is showing numerous other Godard films as well right now. It's likely not the same thing.

But you're right on why the lay over is long. There are rights issues on getting the extras and sometimes Criterion will improve the print from the Rialto release as well as do a transfer.

Expect Pierrot soon, but not too soon. By all measures, Criterion will release 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her and Breathless first. The former got a Rialto release last year and Breathless has already been confirmed by Criterion as in production.

tpfkabi

this poster has got me excited...

only a Godard character would be holding a book in one hand and a rifle in the other.

is she carrying a stuffed dog toy of some sort?

(if any of this ruins a surprise in the film i'd rather not know)

w/o horse

Caught a screening of one of those new 35mm prints going around.  The stuffed animal is an affectation that Karina carries, sometimes.

The movie meandered too much starting in the middle.  Just flat out.  But, and in the Superbad thread moments ago I stated the opposite:  a few really memorable scenes.  The gas station fight was a personal favorite.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

tpfkabi

2 weekends ago i wanted to watch a fun 90 min movie and ended up watching both Masculin Feminin and Band of Outsiders.

the first time i watched Masculin Feminin, maybe i put too much anticipation on it, i didn't think it was that great, but i found it very funny this viewing.

i'm waiting for the day when Criterion has released the man's entire catalog (at least Breathless through Weekend) and i can watch them in chronological order.

last days of gerry the elephant

Does anybody else have that re-issue poster up on their walls?

tpfkabi

I don't but I'd like to - as well as actually see the film itself.
How much would one run and where do you even get one?

Pubrick

looks like he's waiting for her to give him head, like "ay, what's the hold up! can't you see my hands are full?". and the movie's not in colour so that's on some Elephant Man cover-art steez right there.

Godard remains overrated but i'm thinking of watching some of his 80s films. namely Passion and Prénom Carmen, anyone seen these? i'm assuming they were made around the time he stopped getting it up.
under the paving stones.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: bigideas on September 07, 2007, 10:45:52 PM

http://store.criterion.com/product/show/28286

children with angels

Quote from: Pubrick on September 08, 2007, 12:40:21 AM
and the movie's not in colour so that's on some Elephant Man cover-art steez right there.

?

I saw Pierrot for the first time the other day. Some of it I liked very much - I thought it began very strongly, Karina and Belmondo were magnificent and free-wheeling, the carefully constructed colour pallette was really pleasing, and the sense of fun, spontaneity and exhilaration with the games they're playing with cinematic form and genre continue for a good while.

But after a bit it certainly does start to drag, and begins to start exhibiting the problems I have with most early Godard (having not seen anything post-Weekend), that is: the off-the-cuff, throwaway style (which is also one of the main pulls of Godard's filmmaking) begins to wear a little thin. Very little of what goes on has any weight to it because he creates a fictional world that he doesn't ask you to believe in. This is fine and interesting for a while, and especially good when he keeps the subject lightweight (like Une Femme est une Femme). However, the more "serious" aspects (the burgeoning political commentry, the thoughts on relationships and art) are made to suffer greatly from this weightlessness because they come accross as just random jottings or throwaway ideas coming from a bunch of mates hanging out with a film camera. Either that, or ideological chess-pieces put together without a great deal of thought. This therefore doesn't make me want to  engage with them or take them seriously. There's also too much in the way of empty character conversation and plotting for such a feather-light approach to the fictional world.

I know this is pre- properly "serious"/committed Godard, and so maybe my comments about lack of weight are a bit unfair, but you've got to deal with what's in front of you. It's a real shame, because I've been looking forward to this film for a long time. I think I'm going to check out Tout Va Bien next, see if it piques my interest any futher.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: children with angels on September 08, 2007, 09:50:39 AM
I think I'm going to check out Tout Va Bien next, see if it piques my interest any futher.

Doubtful. Everything you said above are my exact feelings to why I can't get truly into Godard. Tout Va Bien is interesting in some ways, but it leaves you feeling that Godard says so much but still has no basis. It's all still a bunch of references. Weekend is still my favorite Godard. The first half is excellent and his best stuff. But when the film enters the woods and involves revolutionaries, it becomes very stupid.

I don't feel truly lost on Godard. I want to see 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her and A Married Woman. I've heard some of his lesser known works are just as interesting.

tpfkabi

Quote from: overmeunderyou on September 08, 2007, 09:19:15 AM
Quote from: bigideas on September 07, 2007, 10:45:52 PM

http://store.criterion.com/product/show/28286

$25!
Is this what posters of this type usually run?

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pubrick on September 08, 2007, 12:40:21 AM
looks like he's waiting for her to give him head, like "ay, what's the hold up! can't you see my hands are full?". and the movie's not in colour so that's on some Elephant Man cover-art steez right there.

Godard remains overrated but i'm thinking of watching some of his 80s films. namely Passion and Prénom Carmen, anyone seen these? i'm assuming they were made around the time he stopped getting it up.

Carmen is one of his best looking and most fun movies. Even Coutard picked it as a personal favorite, if that means anything to ya. Slow Motion, Passion, Carmen, and Hail Mary are a really great second wave for Godard, so I don't think it's neccessary to love his earlier work if you want to try these. Slow Motion, in particular, I had a really hard time with first go, but then when the AI disc came out in the UK last year (looking so damn nice), it worked really well for me the second time round.

They were made around the time when he started sleeping with an attractive set photographer, and also an extremely hot young french actress.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

nashvillians can live my cinematic wet dream:

http://www.belcourt.org/events?id=50985

September edition:  Classic Godard

Sept 1-2                       BAND OF OUTSIDERS (Bande à part, 1964)

Sept 8-9                       BREATHLESS (À bout de soufflé, 1960)

Sept 15-16                   WEEKEND (1967)

Sept 22-23                   CONTEMPT (Le Mépris, 1964)

Sept 28-Oct 2              PIERROT LE FOU (1965 – new 35mm print)