Godard

Started by Duck Sauce, February 01, 2003, 08:29:30 PM

tpfkabi

fyi:

Hello thomas,
You have asked us to remind you that "Le Petit Soldat" (1963) is playing on TCM on July 22, 2005 at 02:00 AM (EST). Don't forget to watch, and thank you for visiting turnerclassicmovies.com.

Thank you,

Your friends at TCM

these reminders are dang handy.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Losing the Horse:
Mike Figgis on "Weekend"

This sounds cool, but what is Figgis' connection to Weekend and how long is this?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alethia

his connection to weekend is that he saw and admired it, and it's maybe fifteen minutes long?  i forget, i only watched it once and i can't for the love of christ remember how long it was, wait lemme check the case!....nope, it doesn't say.  not too long.  i think what i guessed is probably right.

tpfkabi

Quote from: ewardhis connection to weekend is that he saw and admired it, and it's maybe fifteen minutes long?  i forget, i only watched it once and i can't for the love of christ remember how long it was, wait lemme check the case!....nope, it doesn't say.  not too long.  i think what i guessed is probably right.

so you have the dvd?
is it top notch?
i guess i need to look into ordering it and Masculin Feminin here pretty soon.

Alethia

i'm not sure how technically top notch it is, but it beats the hell out of my rather decent vhs copy.  yeah, masculine feminin is a must, and i dont think the R1 of weekend coming out soon has the figgis thing on it, but i could be wrong...

tpfkabi

so the one on the page before that was set to come out Aug 23rd hasn't been released yet?

edit:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009NZ6RA/102-3426921-3846533?v=glance

this is it, right?
unfortunately i don't see it at deepdiscountdvd.com.

Alethia

oh no, that was my mistake, it has been.  i didnt really pay attention to the date cuz i obviously wasnt planning on buying it.  i thought it was sometime in the fall

EDIT

haha, and another mistake, the R1 has the same features as the R2 (plus a trailer and commentary missing from the R2), including the mike figgis interview....just ignore me

JG

So I guess "Masculine, Feminine" comes out Tuesday, according the Boston Globe.  There's an interesting write up about it, by Ty Burr.  Here's a quote:

Quote"Masculine, Feminine," is the work of a young man realizing he can no longer live life as a movie.  Godard's entire career since then can be read as a search for a replacement.

Has anyone seen this?  Thoughts?

hedwig

Quote from: JimmyGator shoulda"Masculine, Feminine" comes came out last Tuesday, September 20th

JG

oops sorry, must have misread it.  still thuogh, what's the word on this film?

SoNowThen

It's fucking great. Go buy it.

The Godard "interview-style" really begins in a hardcore way here. Guys talking shit to chicks, and chicks not getting a word of it, chicks talking shit back and guys unwilling to listen, one of the funniest/oddest movies within a movie, and of course the ever perfect Jean-Pierre Leaud.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

w/o horse

Weekend was a disappointment.  Cinema in action to be sure, but narrative was like four blocks away and stopping to buy coffee.  I doubt anyone is in the middle on this film, but sign me up for the annoyed side.  It was like being spoken at.  I'm going to quote Ebert from his review of I Heart Huckabees, this is what happened with me and Weekend:

"It was on the screen, and I was in my chair, and nothing was happening between us."
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

SoNowThen

Fair enough. Same for me, first time through.

Put it to bed, watch it again in a year. It's like Coutard says on the dvd interview, most of a JLG movie is quite boring, but there are some parts that are not boring, and those parts are generally better than most other people's entire films.

Not that I agree entirely, cos I'm not really bored with JLG at this point, but for Weekend, a movie low on my Godard list, this rings truer than most. Still, there are some wonderful moments worth sitting through...

Oh -- a final add-on: I have a sneaking suspicion that this dvd (and all previous videos) just don't do the look any justice. There's something REALLY flat and REALLY shit to this look, and, I dunno, that affects my enjoyment... maybe someone's seen this in a rep cinema on a decent print and can confirm/deny any quality issues???
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

w/o horse

No for sure.  Plenty of long beautiful and complicated tracking shots.  Lots of surprises and much art to be consumed.  There were things to enjoy, but I hated having to dig in the dumpster.

I will indeed revisit Weekend in a year, see what happens.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: SoNowThenIt's like Coutard says on the dvd interview, most of a JLG movie is quite boring, but there are some parts that are not boring, and those parts are generally better than most other people's entire films.

these are my senitments about Godard as well.
...your excuses are your own...