Godard

Started by Duck Sauce, February 01, 2003, 08:29:30 PM

samsong

samsong have you seen 'hail mary'? i think you will be just as conflicted by it.

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
Quote from: GhostboyContempt is the only one to leave me cold.
I originally felt this way as well, but have found that Contempt has a way of growing on you over time.

Too true. It's most rewarding right after a whirlwind reading of The Odyssey.

And GB, push away that recent blah blah blah stuff about In Praise Of Love. We need to raise that to classic as fast as possible. The more I watch it, the more I think it just might be Godard's masterpiece...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

Quote from: SoNowThen

And GB, push away that recent blah blah blah stuff about In Praise Of Love. We need to raise that to classic as fast as possible. The more I watch it, the more I think it just might be Godard's masterpiece...

I thought In Praise of Love was awful.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Yeah? Yeah?!!! Well... uh.... well, YOU'RE AWFUL!!!

um...

:wink:

But no, seriously, give it another chance. Or two more. It just gets better and better and better.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

really?  i love godard to death, but In Praise of Love just felt so empty to me...i don't know, maybe i'll give it another shot, but not any time soon...and mind you, this is coming from somebody who liked Keep Your Right Up! too

The Silver Bullet

Five very beautiful words: Une femme est une femme.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

samsong

Quote from: cowboykurtisoverindulgent

but oh so lovely.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: cowboykurtisoverindulgent
Better to be overindulgent than grossly untalented.
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

Ghostboy

I can't wait until I have a steady enough paycheck to resubscribe to Netflix -- my introduction to Godard was cut far too short.

BUT! I'm very excited that I'll be able to see a good print of Alphaville on the big screen in the next few months. When one of your art film buff friends also manages a movie theater, only good things can come of it.

tpfkabi

is it playing in Dallas?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ghostboy

Yep. The next midnight movie schedule for the Inwood should be announced shortly. Although there's a slight chance Alphaville might be replaced with Band Of Outsiders.

tpfkabi

i haven't seen Alphaville yet, so it would be cool to see it in a theatre first.
my first taste of Godard was seeing Contempt in a theatre.
convince them to do a double feature :-D
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: GhostboyI'm very excited that I'll be able to see a good print of Alphaville on the big screen...
:!:

I adore Alphaville!
  • A hare.