Jon Brion: new site, blue site

Started by neatahwanta, August 16, 2003, 02:42:08 PM

modage

For any other New Yorkers interested, Jon Brion is playing two shows at Canal Room in NYC on October 25.  Tickets are onsale now through Ticketweb.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

so basically.. don't live in new york unless you're rich.
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pubrickso basically.. don't live in new york unless you're rich.

Or stealthy.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Quote from: Pubrickso basically.. don't live in new york unless you're rich.
or unless you like missing stuff.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

so i saw jon brion tonite.  it ruled.  everyone in/near/visiting LA should go see him.  i kinda wished he had played Here We Go or Strings That Tie To You but no dice there.  he did play an awesome array of covers in various styles and a handful of originals incl. The Same Mistakes (which was probably the song i wanted to hear most of his solo album WHICH they were selling there and i finally got to purchase for real, except it was $20(!) which sucked, but hopefully it all goes to him, which rules).  anyhow, he brought up Rhett Miller to do a couple songs as well which was great.  highlights of the show included Waterloo Sunset (which he said was his favorite song of all time), Sexy Sadie (as played by Thelonious Monk), Roxanne (insane), and Purple Rain (as played by Les Paul).  it was great and insane.  it kills me though that he must have HUNDREDS of songs recorded and has only ever released 11 plus a few here and there on sntks.  and even his album is practically self-distributed so, why in gods name doesnt he put out more stuff?  he should podcast his largo show everyweek so i can subscribe and listen to it.

this is what it looked like:

cowboykurtis

Quote from: modagehe should podcast his largo show everyweek so i can subscribe and listen to it.

Thats a good idea - Go to the largo site an email the owner(whos also his manager). I know he reads the emails - He may just bite at that.
...your excuses are your own...

is there a page or a link or something with any of his shows on mp3? thanks
context, context, context.

modage

Quote from: cronopiois there a page or a link or something with any of his shows on mp3? thanks
i don't know.  but here is something he recorded last week while he was here in new york. http://wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/episodes/10252005

tpfkabi

i would love to see a show. the Extraordinary Machine DualDisc has a 5 or so song video with Brion on guitar accompanying Apple live at Largo. it's pretty amazing how perfectly he recreates the piano style of playing on the guitar.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ABKman18

well, i don't think jon would be up for podcasting the shows.  As he said in the interview and many times before, he likes largo to be a contained thing, a "community experience".  He doesn't really like recording devices coming into the shows.

polkablues

Quote from: bigideasit's pretty amazing how perfectly he recreates the piano style of playing on the guitar.

I've spent hours playing the "Paper Bag" performance over and over, trying to work out the guitar arrangement.  It's insane.  Absolutely insane.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Quote from: ABKman18well, i don't think jon would be up for podcasting the shows.  As he said in the interview and many times before, he likes largo to be a contained thing, a "community experience".  He doesn't really like recording devices coming into the shows.
well thats too bad.  the only thing that really made me think of it is just the lack of brion recordings out in the world.  if he put out half the albums worth of material he's recorded for himself then i dont think it would be as neccesary.  but i just thought, this is something he does anyway, and its always so different and the bredth of his talent so wide, why not put it out there for interested people?

modage

wow...

from cigarettesandredvines
in other pta-ish news, boy wonder jon brion, who is currently suffering from tendonitis and is unable to play any shows, has scored the new romantic comedy 'the break-up' with vince vaughn and jennifer aniston.

i wonder if his music will elevate the film?  or if the film will water down the music?  like, Mark Mothersbaugh scores Big Love but you'd never know it was the same guy who scores Wes Anderson's films.  so.... weird.

meatwad

i thought he said he was going to stop doing soundtracks, at least for a while

modage