What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

Pubrick

hanks is awesome. i was just watching Fargo today and thinking how amazing it is. it's kinda sad to always see it at the dollar bin at dvd stores  :( <--- that's the dollar-bin being sad.

it's the kinda movie you think you've seen enough times that you are immune to all its surprises, but you forget how lovable Frances McDormand's 'Margie' character is. :yabbse-smiley: <--- that's margie making me happy.

8) :yabbse-cool: <--- and this is me and hanks hanging out talking about his awesome top 5 list. incognito of course.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: Pubrick on April 15, 2006, 11:07:39 AM
hanks is awesome. i was just watching Fargo today and thinking how amazing it is. it's kinda sad to always see it at the dollar bin at dvd stores  :( <--- that's the dollar-bin being sad.

it's the kinda movie you think you've seen enough times that you are immune to all its surprises, but you forget how lovable Frances McDormand's 'Margie' character is. :yabbse-smiley: <--- that's margie making me happy.

8) :yabbse-cool: <--- and this is me and hanks hanging out talking about his awesome top 5 list. incognito of course.

Fargo is a truly great film. I love Margie, too. In fact, after seeing Fargo, I remember thinking, "You know what real love is? Real love is when someone will nonchalantlyh wipe away the Arby's you have dripping off your chin instead of making fun of your slovenliness."  Then McDormand went on to do Man Who Wasn't There and Laurel Canyon, and her legend was sealed. I have an aunt in Mississippi who had a one-line part interacting with McDormand in Mississippi Burning, but she said McDormand treated her no differently than anyone else on the day they shot; so, on top of everything else, she's a nice lady.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

picolas

MacGuffin

Kim Jong-Il's Movie Favorites
The North Korean dictator is also a fanatical film fan. A look at his alleged top list.
Source: Los Angeles Times

When he isn't playing a game of nuclear arms chicken with other world leaders, letting his people starve or issuing dire threats against the United States, North Korea's Kim Jong-Il likes to kick back in his home theater and watch movies — lots of movies, most of them from Hollywood. You know, one of those American cities he's promised to turn into an "ocean of fire" when he works out the kinks in his nuclear weapons program.

Reliable information is difficult to find when it comes to the secretive and eccentric dictator, but most experts agree on Kim's credentials as a movie buff. In 1973, he wrote a book, "On the Art of the Cinema," describing his theories of movies being the primary force in revolutionizing art and literature. In 1978, he had South Korean filmmaker Shin Sang-Ok and his actress wife Choe Eun-Hee kidnapped and brought to North Korea to help start the country's film industry. It's said he owns a collection of 20,000 videos and DVDs, a fact Kim denies. But when it comes to figuring out which movie is the so-called Great Leader's favorite, the experts disagree. And so we present a survey of possible favorite flicks from the Roger Ebert of North Korea.

*In an interview with Newsweek magazine, former kidnap victim Shin Sang-Ok claimed Kim dug "Friday the 13th" and Hong Kong action films. No doubt "Freddy vs. Jason" (2003) directed by Hong Kong action auteur Ronny Yu is a particular favorite in the Kim collection.

* Talking with the Seoul Times, Shin revealed that Kim's favorite actor was Sean Connery and his favorite actress was Elizabeth Taylor, leaving no questions as to where the dictator comes down on his favorite James Bond.

* At a faux Kim MySpace page (myspace.com/evil_empire1), the "Dear Father" shows off his mad HTML skillz and mentions the "Rambo" movies as favorites.

* In an op-ed for the L.A. Times titled, "North Korea: The Movie," Dr. Jerrold M. Post, former head of the CIA's Center for the Analysis of Personality and Political Behavior, pegged Kim's favorite movie as "The Godfather."

* On NPR's "Morning Edition," reporter Louisa Lim claimed Kim's favorite was "Gone With the Wind."

* In the New York Times Magazine, Peter Maas related an exchange between Kim and former Secretary of State Madeline Albright on current cinema. Reportedly, Kim found Spielberg's "Amistad" "very sad" and claimed to own all the Academy Award movies.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Call me late on this one but Hanks has a really good list. I might have to steal it.

But seriously, here's mine for the time being

2001: A Space Odyssey - Kubrick
Three Colors - Kieslowski
Walkabout - Roeg
Hiroshima mon Amour - Resnais
The Battle of Algiers - Pontecorvo

* Eyes Wide Shut

pete

1. ping pong
2. do the right thing
3. rushmore
4. the enigma of kaspar hauser
5. to live

wow when I began typing I was sure that I'd genuflect some older films, then I FORGOT.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

The Wild Bunch
Nixon
L'Avventura
How I Won the War
8 1/2

Mine seems pretty standard.

A Matter Of Chance

Mine is also pretty safe.

L'Eclisse
The Rules of the Game
The Big Sleep
Jules et Jim
East of Eden

*The Leopard, Vivre sa Vie, and Lola

JG

I'll play.  I realize that I already posted on this page, but that was more like a placeholder.  I settled on a more definitive top five a couple months ago and as of now I'm quite happy with it: 

1.  Raging Bull
2.  8 1/2
3.  Eyes Wide Shut
4.  L'Argent
5.  The Shining

gob

1. The Big Lebowski
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. Goodfellas
4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
5. Boogie Nights

5 is not fair.

SiliasRuby

Revised..
Performance
Pulp Fiction
American Beauty
Magnolia
The Big Lebowski
Shoot The Piano Player
Rear Window
Blue Velvet
Network
Radioland Murders
Goodfellas
JFK
LA Confidential
The Breakfast Club
The Spanish Prisoner
Eyes Wide Shut
Apocalpsye Now Redux
The Big Chill
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: gob on October 14, 2006, 02:22:31 PM
1. The Big Lebowski
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. Goodfellas
5. Boogie Nights
Good luck keeping that list as-is at xixax. Not nearly enough asshole movies.

gob

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on October 14, 2006, 08:06:01 PM
Quote from: gob on October 14, 2006, 02:22:31 PM
1. The Big Lebowski
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. Goodfellas
5. Boogie Nights
Good luck keeping that list as-is at xixax. Not nearly enough asshole movies.

Ha. I was gonna say something along those lines but didn't want to offend anyone. I like plenty of asshole movies but not enough to put them in a top 5. Yet.

Pubrick

1  Tree of Life
2  Paani
3  Mister Lonely
4  Youth Without Youth
5  the Battle Angel trilogy
under the paving stones.

soixante

Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, American Graffiti, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Barry Lyndon (OK, I have a soft spot for 70's films).

OK, how about my top 5 non-70's films:

Midnight Cowboy, Easy Rider, Star 80, Boogie Nights, Wizard of Oz
Music is your best entertainment value.