Know Your Xixax: Donation begging and site news

Started by Xixax, December 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM

MacGuffin

Like herpes, you just can't get rid of us... at least for another 12 months.

Thanks to your support, xixax has been renewed for another year.

Thank you all.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Yes, we know it would have been more useful at the time TWBB came out to have it, but we added a Spoiler button.

Located between the Insert Quote and the Insert List. We're working on a better icon than the red x.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Hides your spoiler like this.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

or you can type (without the spaces)

[ spoiler]it was the butler.[ /spoiler]

you can also put text on the button (people will see this whether they click or not), by adding

[ spoiler=who it was]the butler.[ /spoiler]

Kal

So I was just bored... and I looked at the Xixax stats... the traffic/posts have gone down dramatically over the past 6 months...

That sucks.

It may be related to Pubrick not posting stupid comments and starting discussions. Pubrick its time for you to post. You'll never find something really clever to say so do everyone a favor and start posting again :)

Reinhold

the site tells me that i don't have the right privileges to post spoilers when i try to use the button.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

My friends, it's that time again. The time of year when the begging begins. When we ask you to donate that money you saved from stealing borrowing music; rope you into giving us those tips you received from seating customers where they wanted to be seated; forking over to us the money you got from your insurance when your phone was stolen...

But before we get to that...

As you all know, we have been unhappy with our current server, especially after they switched off our Search function. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions or referrals to alternate servers (on the cheap) that we could switch to, please, by all means, let us know.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Mac, can you give me the info on our current server specs, our traffic information, and what would be an ideal scenario for us to get a new server? I may be able to help out.

MacGuffin

Quote from: kal on January 08, 2009, 12:41:45 AM
Mac, can you give me the info on our current server specs, our traffic information, and what would be an ideal scenario for us to get a new server? I may be able to help out.

I dunno if this info is exactly what you're looking, but I'll let Michael Wilson explain:

QuoteIt's a very straightforward install. All you need is a server running a recent version of PHP and mySQL. The transition can be a bit difficult for a novice, but if Kal knows what he's doing, he should be able to work thru it OK by adjusting the paths in the database settings file, and the database username and password in the configuration file on the server.  I don't know the version of mySQL that dreamhost is running, but if Kal is running one that's roughly equivalent (mySQL version 5 and PHP version 4 or 5), he should be able to host with little program.

Let me know if you need more info.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Yeah sorry dude.

I think one of the servers I have fits those requirements for sure, what I'm worried about is the traffic. You have that info? How many GB of data transfer we use per month, and how big of a database we need. I guess it should not be a problem. Also, can Michael migrate everything or do we have to do it? I'm not sure I will be able as my guys are way too busy to deal with my 'hobbies'. I'm zero technical so I cannot do it myself.

Reinhold

i have a question.

what are the hidden costs associated with sites like fatcow.com? supposedly for $70 to $88 a year, you can have "unlimited" disk space and "unlimited" bandwidth. does that mean slow loading times and embedded ads?

if it's a livable solution for xixax and less expensive than whatever hosting we've currently got, maybe that's a decent way to save some cash and keep the site alive.

-----

also, i had an idea for xixax's broken search function. perhaps it would be best to encourage users to use google. (or even add a google search bar with the string site:xixax.com built into it...) the forum would have to be read by google more often, but i've noticed that this approach works really well for other forums like macrumors.com, where the forum's own search function sorta sucks.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

The Xixaxinomic Stimulus Package

My friends, it's that time again. The time of year when the begging begins. When we ask you to donate that money you saved from stealing borrowing music; rope you into giving us those tips you received from seating customers where they wanted to be seated; forking over to us the money you got from your insurance when your phone was stolen...

I'm very sorry to say, but we could not find a better deal or be able to afford a new, private server to regain the Search function. It would just be too expensive (monthly, rather than yearly), and we have no plans to add advertising to the site.

We know times are tough and money is tight, but, please, donate what you can. No amount is too small; none is to high either. At the top of the page (or here) is where you can place your charity to the collection plate.

As always, we here at xixax appreciate your continued support.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Stefen

I didn't know there was a deadline either. I was going to donate once I got my taxes back. I'm still counting pennies from Christmas.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.