PTA vs. The World

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, December 12, 2003, 05:38:14 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

Ok, so PTA is definetly one of our favorite directors, but how do you think he compares to other directors?  Better in some ways but worse in others?  He's great, but does he have what it takes to go against the likes of Scorsese, Spielberg, Tarantino, Kubrick, etc.?  Before posting something like "they're different, you can't compare the two", think about it for a minute, and post what you feel is different... i'm sure there will be some that will find similarities as well.

Ok, i'll start...

Since its no fair to compare PTA to Robert Altman, since i'm convinced that they are both one and the same, I think that PTA has lots of similarities to Spielberg.  For one, they both like to touch on emotional connections between people.  Sure, PTA's movies usually gross around 30 million while Spielberg's gross around 300 million, they still have similar themes... families broken apart and left to deal in the aftermath (Elliot's mom is divorced, the family is left to cope without a father in the house... Frank Mackey's dad leaves while he is left to care for his mom while she dies).  Although Spielberg likes to play up the special effects, his stories are really about the characters, just like in a PTA movie, sans the special effects (well, not counting the frogs).

ono

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickOk, so PTA is definetly one of our favorite directors, but how do you think he compares to other directors?  Better in some ways but worse in others?  He's great, but does he have what it takes to go against the likes of Scorsese, Spielberg, Tarantino, Kubrick, etc.?  Before posting something like "they're different, you can't compare the two", think about it for a minute, and post what you feel is different... i'm sure there will be some that will find similarities as well.
Re: Magnolia, PTA is Altman + Heart.

Re: Boogie Nights and Hard Eight, PTA is Scorsese + Heart.

Re: Punch-Drunk Love, PTA is Kubrick + Godard + Tati + Heart (and sure, what the hell, maybe a little Fellini, too, for good measure).

Basically, I love PTA's film so much because of that big beating heart, that soul, that emotion, that beats out of each film's chest.  His films are not timid, and they're not ironic, and that's what's so great about them.

Spielberg wishes he was a tenth of the filmmaker PTA is.

PTA and Tarantino, well, they're like two different sides of the proverbial film geek.  But Tarantino is a cocky ass, and that gets annoying after a while.  I love how humble PTA is, though who knows if that's just an act.

As far as Kubrick goes, there is no other.  Kubrick is the best filmmaker of all time, and at this pace, PTA is well on track to match the master.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Spielberg wishes he was a tenth of the filmmaker PTA is.

this quote lowers my opinion of you.
...your excuses are your own...

Pubrick

pta is good.

but like, if he read this, he'd say.. "please may i hav my nuts back".

i think he's as tired of analysing himself as a lot of us are. deify him if u like, i got over this 3 years ago.

who am i kidding, if i HAD to do a guy, i'd do johnny depp.. but i'd be thinking of pta.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaSpielberg wishes he was a tenth of the filmmaker PTA is.
this quote lowers my opinion of you.
Unfortunately I must agree with this. :(

ono

Okay, then enlighten me.  No wait, don't, I've been part of this argument before, and I never really learn anything new.  But I never knew so many people had any sort of high opinion of me, and that opinion could be lowered by expressing my distaste for certain people who are detrimental to the art of filmmaking.  I doubt I'd get such a knee-jerk reaction for expressing my dislike of Larry Clark, but then again, perhaps my reaction is a knee-jerk one to the rah-rah patriotism (well, only for Saving Private Ryan -- yuck) and Peter Pan syndrome, and happy-ever-after endings pervading Spielberg's films.  Basically, pretty much anything godardian says on this matter, I agree with.

cine

Quote from: Onomatopoeiaexpressing my distaste for certain people who are detrimental to the art of filmmaking.  
When I read this, I think of George Lucas. NOT Steven Spielberg.

Just one man's opinion, folks.

Pubrick

Quote from: CinephileWhen I read this, I think of George Lucas. NOT Steven Spielberg.

Just one man's opinion, folks.
make that one and a half.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Quote from: P
who am i kidding, if i HAD to do a guy, i'd do johnny depp.. but i'd be thinking of pta.

Haha...found a new signature.

And I really respect Spielberg, I mean the guy's gotten so good at making movies, he's a man who's perfected his craft. Mind you, this doesn't mean he's the best or most artistic, but he does know what he's doing and he's proved it over and over again. He's made some of the best horror, sci-fi, adventure, war movies out there. He likes to entertain people, what's wrong with that? It's not like he's not making Bad Boys over and over again for the money.

I hope for the day when PTA makes a movie that I don't like, it'll prove that he's human.
WWPTAD?

SHAFTR

i hate when people beatup on Spielberg...often because he ushered in the blockbuster.  Well, truth is coppola (godfather) is just as guilty.

People have a hard time accepting that popular art and high art can be the same thing.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Chest Rockwell

How can you not have respect for the Big S? Granted, I'd never be caught saying he's my favorite director by any means, but you have to have respect. He's made some bona fide classics, no doubt. Sure, a lot of his movies are drivel by my standards, but hell, he's still out there making some entertaining fucking drivel.

NEON MERCURY

PTA is good ..but not as good as Jared Leto.....

SoNowThen

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaSpielberg wishes he was a tenth of the filmmaker PTA is.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: Gamblor du JourHaha...found a new signature.
at last, Slobh's reign of terror is over.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

when did he tell you this???