10 favorite albums

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 03, 2004, 05:09:40 PM

RegularKarate

Flickerstick IS the same shit band you heard on that shit show.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing about Neutral Milk Hotel... that album is good and all, but that shit came out ages ago and while it probably belonged on top ten lists for 1998, I don't think it's a number one ever material in the least.

Also, with some exceptions, most people's lists appear to only have albums that came out within the last few years.  Can we get an age check here, kids?

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Raikus

This last year I've tried to let go of the pretentious aspect and just focus on stuff I enjoy listening too. As for the Panic! qualms, they're getting too overexposed and overplayed but their CD is really good and I enjoy repeat listens (as I have since before they were played mainstream). If you're knocking it out of contention due to it being mainstream now, well give some of the other songs a listen and see what you think minus bias. I like their blending of classical and mild electronica. The lyrics are interesting and vocals are dead on.

So what if 14 year old girls now like them. It doesn't affect my enjoyment.

As for Flickerstick I saw the crap show too and somehow got their album way back in the day. Recently I found it on my iPod and have been listening to it fairly often. That's why I put it on the list. The music is rock but it's certainly a different type. I find myself going back to it. Again, avoid the pretension and just listen to what you like. I think that's what my new list reflects.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

My list was mostly the stuff in heaviest rotation lately.  If I were to do a Top 10 Ever, it'd probably look something like...

10 - Brian Eno - Another Green World
9 - Sufjan Stevens - Greetings From Michigan The Great Lakes State
8 - Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
7 - King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
6 - Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
5 - Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
4 - Bjork - Vespertine
3 - Yes - Fragile
2 - Beatles - White
1 - Pink Floyd - The Wall 

I'd better settle on that before I pick at it forever, but yeah, my top 10 overall would look more like that (and yes NMH still appears on it).
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reed Rothchild

You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

RegularKarate

Reed Rothchild

You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

polkablues

Quote from: polkablues on July 07, 2005, 11:00:37 PM
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
Pete Yorn - musicforthemorningafter
Bright Eyes - Lifted, or The Story is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground
Radiohead - OK Computer
Tool - Aenima
Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
Feeder - Comfort In Sound
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Placebo - Black Market Music

edit: Honorable mentions = Stereophonics, "You Gotta Go There To Come Back"; Minibar, "Fly Below the Radar"; Something For Kate, "Echolalia"; Fiona Apple, "When The Pawn, etc."; David Poe, "David Poe"; Our Lady Peace, "Spiritual Machines"; Remy Zero, "The Golden Hum"; Ours, "Distorted Lullabies"; The Mayfield Four, "Fallout"; Black Lab, "Your Body Above Me".

Okay.  So I couldn't remember everything I had put on my list, so I went back to see if it still holds up, and sure enough.  I might switch a couple from my top ten with a couple of my honorable mentions -- specifically bumping Feeder and Placebo for Stereophonics and David Poe -- but this is a list I feel good about hanging my hat on at the end of the day.

And I don't feel an ounce of guilt about not having a pre-90s album on here.

Neil

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 19, 2006, 10:01:59 PM
Flickerstick IS the same shit band you heard on that shit show.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing about Neutral Milk Hotel... that album is good and all, but that shit came out ages ago and while it probably belonged on top ten lists for 1998, I don't think it's a number one ever material in the least.

Also, with some exceptions, most people's lists appear to only have albums that came out within the last few years.  Can we get an age check here, kids?

I'm not sure that I fully understand this...what are you referencing? Zeppelin, Floyd, velvet underground, or what? I'm not criticizing what you said i just don't really understand...I'm sure it's possible that this wasn't directed towards me, but i wasn't sure what exactly you meant? the reason for this is because, if i would have made a list at 16 it would have been like: Ramones-Ramones, and Clash-Clash...and that was old, and that was age 8 for me...
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pubrick

Quote from: Neil on June 20, 2006, 09:29:59 PM
I'm not sure that I fully understand this...what are you referencing? Zeppelin, Floyd, velvet underground, or what? I'm not criticizing what you said i just don't really understand? I'm sure it's possible that this wasn't directed towards me, but i wasn't sure what exactly you meant? the reason for this is because, if i would have made a list at 16 it would have been like: Ramones-Ramones, and Clash-Clash...and that was old, and that was age 8 for me?
you don't have to put a question mark at the end of every sentence? cos not everything you say is actually a question? it makes it look like you don't know what a question mark is for? i'm starting to think maybe you don't?
under the paving stones.

Neil

Quote from: Pubrick on June 20, 2006, 09:34:06 PM
I'm not sure that I fully understand this...what are you referencing? Zeppelin, Floyd, velvet underground, or what? I'm not criticizing what you said i just don't really understand? I'm sure it's possible that this wasn't directed towards me, but i wasn't sure what exactly you meant? the reason for this is because, if i would have made a list at 16 it would have been like: Ramones-Ramones, and Clash-Clash...and that was old, and that was age 8 for me?
you don't have to put a question mark at the end of every sentence? cos not everything you say is actually a question? it makes it look like you don't know what a question mark is for? i'm starting to think maybe you don't?

Yes? I do?
And No? I'm not sure how to properly use it?

I Love a Magician

Here's my top ten list that I made a while back. I feel pretty much the same now.

1. Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
2. Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
3. Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
4. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
5. The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
6. R.E.M. - Automatic For the People
7. Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
8. Wilco - Summerteeth
9. Stone Temple Pilots -Tiny Music
10. Devendra Banhart - Nino Rojo

Pubrick

Quote from: Neil on June 20, 2006, 11:51:35 PM
Yes? I do?
here you go, just cos you're dense and i feel sorry for anyone you'll ever meet in your life:

I'm not sure that I fully understand this...what are you referencing?
that's a question.
Zeppelin, Floyd, velvet underground, or what?
congratulations, that's a question too.
I'm not criticizing what you said i just don't really understand?
uh this isn't a question.. the answer to what you're saying here and onwards would be:
how the fuck should we know? do you or do you not really understand, are you or are you not criticizing what he said?
but i wasn't sure what exactly you meant?
i don't know, were you? (a ridiculous word order to boot)
and that was age 8 for me?
i don't know, was it?

so you see how your grasp on the english language makes JG look like Godardian.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

I think what Neil is trying to indicate is that he talks with a Valley Girl accent, in which his voice lilts up at the end of every sentence as though it were a question.

"So, like, I was down at the mall?  And this guy walked up to me?  And he was all like, 'Hi'?  And I was like, 'Eww'?  And then he, like, made this face?  So I, like, stabbed him?"

So, as you can see, what you perceive as bad english might actually be great dialect.  Neil could be the Anthony Burgess or Hubert Selby of our generation.

Or not.

Neil

Quote from: polkablues on June 21, 2006, 01:29:10 AM
I think what Neil is trying to indicate is that he talks with a Valley Girl accent, in which his voice lilts up at the end of every sentence as though it were a question.

"So, like, I was down at the mall?  And this guy walked up to me?  And he was all like, 'Hi'?  And I was like, 'Eww'?  And then he, like, made this face?  So I, like, stabbed him?"

So, as you can see, what you perceive as bad english might actually be great dialect.  Neil could be the Anthony Burgess or Hubert Selby of our generation.

Or not.

In response to this - I wish, for both parts the valley girl part and the Selby Jr./burgess part

Quote from: Pubrick on June 21, 2006, 12:50:45 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 20, 2006, 11:51:35 PM
Yes? I do?
here you go, just cos you're dense and i feel sorry for anyone you'll ever meet in your life:

I'm not sure that I fully understand this...what are you referencing?

and as for all this...I'm glad that p gets to prove a point at my expense, thus giving him a good nights rest.

?
that's a question.
Zeppelin, Floyd, velvet underground, or what?
congratulations, that's a question too.
I'm not criticizing what you said i just don't really understand?
uh this isn't a question.. the answer to what you're saying here and onwards would be:
how the fuck should we know? do you or do you not really understand, are you or are you not criticizing what he said?
but i wasn't sure what exactly you meant?
i don't know, were you? (a ridiculous word order to boot)
and that was age 8 for me?
i don't know, was it?

so you see how your grasp on the english language makes JG look like Godardian.

In response to this
a) you took time to do this
b) and I'm glad the ultimate goal of you proving a point/getting some rest at night was achieved.