a _______ __________ film

Started by sphinx, January 21, 2003, 03:00:09 PM

Xixax

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetFuck opening title sequences to hell.

Dude, you're smoking crack if you think that the "Fight Club" or "Se7en" title sequences didn't totally set up the movie - even moreso after you've seen it multiple times.

It can either be a throw-away, or an integral part of the film. I think it depends on the director and the subject matter.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

sphinx

yeah, imagine a cold opening of fight club---the first shot just being the gun in norton's mouth.  it really wouldn't have the power that the opening sequence set up.  the opening sequence of catch me if you can was more like a visual and auditory overture, in my opinion.

©brad

On the Minority Report DVD Spielberg talked about the title sequence for Seven.

I think the opening sequence for Mulholland Dr. is spectacular- esp. the dancing in the beginning. Its a cool track, have the soundtrack and listen to it lots.

RegularKarate

Yeah, Title sequences can really set you up for the movie, get you in the right frame of mind.

The opening of Rocky, with just the title scrolling playing the theme, who didn't feel pumped?

And fucking Superman!  Those rocketing, flaming words with the John Williams score?!!!  When you watched that, you knew that movie was gonna be something big.

Titles are always necessary, but sometimes they really help the viewer get set.

Jeremy Blackman

Worst title sequence ever - The Sixth Sense.

Gold Trumpet

OK OK, so the naming of some good movies with good title sequences off the top of my head wasn't justifiable for all the movies with good ones. I admit that, but I still dislike most. Doesn't mean I dislike them in general, but I think they need to serve a very good purpose to be included.

I also want to watch Fight Club again to see if I can come up with a new opinion when originally not liking the movie.

~rougerum

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetOK OK, so the naming of some good movies with good title sequences off the top of my head wasn't justifiable for all the movies with good ones. I admit that, but I still dislike most. Doesn't mean I dislike them in general, but I think they need to serve a very good purpose to be included.

I also want to watch Fight Club again to see if I can come up with a new opinion when originally not liking the movie.

~rougerum

No offense, but I have a feeling that you are trying too hard to make these profound statements and critiques of movies. I like your posts but often I read your reviews of a movie and it seems your thoughts are muddled. Why not just watch it and let it wash over you? You can't really make yourself come up with a new opinion, can you? If you didn't like it the first time I wouldn't imagine your opinion would change that much, and if it does, something is wrong.

Gold Trumpet

I don't know if it is me trying too hard to make an opinion or critique, but it very much could be. I think though my influence through movies has been not through just watching movies, but actually reading reviews and learning more to think like a critic and analyst than anything else. And being able to say my opinion through writing only makes it worse because when I write, I can give off the illusion I prolly sound smarter than I really am. When I am talking to someone, I;m not very good at professional speaking so I sound like myself. Maybe I pride myself too much in knowing movies or what I am interested, who knows.

I do think opinions can change, and very much so change after a few years or so has gone by in seeing a movie. It did so for Woody Allen in watching 2001: A Space Odyssey so much so that it went from being a "terrible film" to a film where he admitted that [Kubrick] was beyond what he even was as an artist. I think though that looking at a movie made some years ago actually does let you see it in a better perspective because you've seen all the other movies of the time and can better identify which ones holds up the best. For Fight Club, my opinion has changed. When i rewatched the film, I was very focused on how technical the film was and how focused it was on its subject. The movie "Go" is very much like this movie in its dark humor, but really done there for style only that brings nothing to the movie. For Fight Club, I thought it was bringing a lot to the movie because focused on all the main themes running through the movie so much so that it lifted the themes above the topic and made it to where it will prolly seem more revelant and refreshing as time goes on. Another movie of that same year that it is similiar to is American Pyscho, but I didn't like that movie at all. I thought it was a one idea bird that had no wings beyond a good 20 minutes and its voice overs of the characters went nowhere, where Fight Club was closely focused and always inventive to the very end. My main reasons for disliking the movie at the beginning was the bad taste it gave my mouth with its acceptance of violence, but with watching it again with new eyes, I think that review was looking at the subject matter more at a point where it didn't serve a good purpose, but it does. I'm not calling the movie a masterpiece now, because there are things at the end that seem to go a little too far in belief and I didn't think the revelation of Norton being Pitt's character really added that much weight to the storyline, but I do think it is a very good film now.

I think one difference between me and a lot of people here is that I am not serving this place as anything social at all. Its where I come to speak of movies only, I socialize in my own world. I like everyone here but I may have been one of the very few people here not to have half flirt with Budgie ever.

~rougerum

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI don't know if it is me trying too hard to make an opinion or critique, but it very much could be. I think though my influence through movies has been not through just watching movies, but actually reading reviews and learning more to think like a critic and analyst than anything else. And being able to say my opinion through writing only makes it worse because when I write, I can give off the illusion I prolly sound smarter than I really am. When I am talking to someone, I;m not very good at professional speaking so I sound like myself. Maybe I pride myself too much in knowing movies or what I am interested, who knows.

I do think opinions can change, and very much so change after a few years or so has gone by in seeing a movie. It did so for Woody Allen in watching 2001: A Space Odyssey so much so that it went from being a "terrible film" to a film where he admitted that [Kubrick] was beyond what he even was as an artist. I think though that looking at a movie made some years ago actually does let you see it in a better perspective because you've seen all the other movies of the time and can better identify which ones holds up the best. For Fight Club, my opinion has changed. When i rewatched the film, I was very focused on how technical the film was and how focused it was on its subject. The movie "Go" is very much like this movie in its dark humor, but really done there for style only that brings nothing to the movie. For Fight Club, I thought it was bringing a lot to the movie because focused on all the main themes running through the movie so much so that it lifted the themes above the topic and made it to where it will prolly seem more revelant and refreshing as time goes on. Another movie of that same year that it is similiar to is American Pyscho, but I didn't like that movie at all. I thought it was a one idea bird that had no wings beyond a good 20 minutes and its voice overs of the characters went nowhere, where Fight Club was closely focused and always inventive to the very end. My main reasons for disliking the movie at the beginning was the bad taste it gave my mouth with its acceptance of violence, but with watching it again with new eyes, I think that review was looking at the subject matter more at a point where it didn't serve a good purpose, but it does. I'm not calling the movie a masterpiece now, because there are things at the end that seem to go a little too far in belief and I didn't think the revelation of Norton being Pitt's character really added that much weight to the storyline, but I do think it is a very good film now.

I think one difference between me and a lot of people here is that I am not serving this place as anything social at all. Its where I come to speak of movies only, I socialize in my own world. I like everyone here but I may have been one of the very few people here not to have half flirt with Budgie ever.

~rougerum

rock on, I think you're right.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI like everyone here but I may have been one of the very few people here not to have half flirt with Budgie ever.

For that sladerous remark, especially in the abscense of her highness, you shall be reprimanded with a sudden, nerve-pinching slap on the wrist, nay, you shall be executed.

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI like everyone here but I may have been one of the very few people here not to have half flirt with Budgie ever.

~rougerum

Now that I'm in England I have a better chance of flirting w/ her IRL.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: cbrad4dLike Magnolia, watching Claudia smile and then cut to "Written and Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson" is kind of chilling.

its not kind of chilling, its VERY chilling.  i love it!  damn MAGNOLIA is a great film!!!!

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Rudie Obias

Quote from: MacGuffinThe opening credit sequence for "Catch Me If You Can" was one of the best I've seen in a while. "Seven" is still one of the tops for me.

the opening sequence for BAND OF OUSTIDERS was pretty fuckin' great!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

b/a

Speaking of title sequences...
Is it against guild rules to now put multiple credits on screen at once at the beginning of a film. On old black and white films the credits are over in like 30 seconds. One title card has like 20 names on it. Now, the executive line producer's name is on screen by itself for like half an hour. My suspisions were aroused when I saw "Far From Heaven". I know Todd Haynes was trying to recreate an old film feel and the fact that each credit went individually sticked out like a sore thumb.

And about the original topic. I think the ______ ______ film is fine. Especially if the director is a real autuer. "A David Lynch Film" makes sense, "A Michael Bay Film" does not.
"Film is truth 24 times a second"-JLG

BonBon85

I'm pretty sure it's not against the rules to list multiple names. Case in point: every Woody Allen movie.