Roger Ebert

Started by filmcritic, June 18, 2003, 11:33:11 AM

polkablues

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 18, 2005, 03:28:33 PM
But Syriana and Crash are the two most overrated movies of the year.

Please don't lump together the smartest and dumbest movies of the year so casually.
My house, my rules, my coffee

JG

Syriana>Crash.  Syrianna is smarter than crash.  Both both are very overrated. 

Alethia

and dont be happy that me and you and everyone we know was acknowledged, thats almost as bad as crash being number 1 (okay, maybe not that bad)

JG

no.  me and you and everyone we know was good.  while it's not a four star movie in my book, it is cool to see it get recognition cause it's so much better than other shit

matt35mm

Well, Junebug's in about the right place.  I'd also put Me and You in about the same place.

Out of that list, I have only seen Junebug, Me and You, and Millions.  And Millions doesn't belong in the top 10.  It was sweet, decent, and I even saw it twice.  But it was not one of the top 10 of the year.

Pozer

No, it doesn't at all.  I spit on that movie.  And I spit on Eberts list.  Siskle must be spinning in his grave.

hedwig

Quote from: pozer on December 19, 2005, 06:37:25 PM
Siskle must be spinning in his grave.

ouch.

anyway, it's a good list with a glaring flaw.

PS - it's Siskel

ono

I sent this note to myself over two years ago, so I forget where I got it from.  But, in Ebert's defense...

Quote from: Roger EbertI think about him all the time. And many of the dictums and principles and standards that he had are things that I agree with. He had policies on things that I often feel were right. For example, he didnt like to see trailers. He wanted to see the movie without seeing the trailers because the trailer gives away all the best parts. That was just one. I could write a whole book: The World According to Gene and His Rules and Regulations. And most of them were correct. One thing he had that I found true in my life, he got from Stanley Kubrick. He called it Kubricks Law. Occasionally, if we were in a situation where he couldnt say what he really meant, he would just turn to me and say, Kubrick, and I would know what he really meant. Kubricks Law was when you asked someone for a piece of information or for some help or for directions or for an answer, whatever it is, and what they tell you may be correct and it may be incorrect, but whatever it is, it is the easiest for them to do or say or tell you.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

NEON MERCURY

haha...crash at number one will invalidate you for life...
his list doesnt reflect someone who has seen plenty of films over his life, critqued them, and analyzes their importance...

poor siskel...he must be rolling in the eternal balcony...

hedwig

matt35mm

Quote from: Hedwig on December 24, 2005, 08:33:12 PM
LEAVE SISKEL OUT OF THIS.
This struck me as a good banner quotation.  An important quotation, for all times.

pete

I couldn't even read his "answerman" column today, it was so vapid and just full of readers that agreed with everything he said and a few cutesy disagreements.  On top of that, he also wrote a long-ass defense for "Crash."  I hope it haunts him the way "Do the Right Thing" haunted that New York critic who hated it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Quote from: pete on January 08, 2006, 03:59:33 PM
On top of that, he also wrote a long-ass defense for "Crash."  I hope it haunts him the way "Do the Right Thing" haunted that New York critic who hated it.

It won't, since a lot of viewers and critics liked it.

His defense of Crash was weak.  The nice cop kills the black guy out of racist suspicion and the racist cop helps Thandie Newton.  Therefore the movie is complex.  I didn't think Crash was the worst movie of the year (that is probably Waiting or Deuce Bigalow), but it sure as hell was the most overrated.