Roger Ebert

Started by filmcritic, June 18, 2003, 11:33:11 AM

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ono

Quote from: petedopiest ebert and roeper exchanges in a while:
(on mean girls)

ebert: I think you need to have your movie-o-meter re-adjusted.
roeper: no, I think it feels very comfortable, thank you.
So who liked it and who hated it?  Seems to me like the type of movie Ebert would like.  I hope so anyway.  I have good hopes for it.

Dottie_Hinkle

I think Ebert's playing with his cock 1/2 the time INSTEAD of watching the films....  I find many mistakes in his reviews.  The most recent was for Kill Bill volume II where he claims UMA reads the info re: the Black Mamba....
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThen[Also, in the email I sent him, I did mention how I assumed Dolce Vita was his favorite, and he didn't dispute this...
He has said "Citizen Kane" when asked what his favorite movie is.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

LostEraser

I've heard him say that his two favorite movies are both The Third Man AND Citizen Kane. So i guess it's a tie. But he has also referred to Kane as the single greatest movie ever made (so maybe he likes the Third Man more out of personal taste).

But, yes, I've also heard him talk a lot about 2001, Apocalypse Now, and La Dolce Vita. So I'm sure they are close seconds.

I really like reading Ebert. I wish he would explore some things a little further though and he can be a bit stubborn (his reviews of Lynch films is a perfect example). But I always enjoy reading him. I wish he would do more commentaries.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

Just Withnail

He mentions countless times on the Casablanca commentary that Citizen Kane is his favorite.

godardian

I've been watching Floating Weeds with the Ebert commentary, and... I have to say, it's very respectable. He gets Stephen King points for admitting he's no expert and just a fan, deferring to experts like Paul Schrader as having a more "awesome" body of knowledge and insight, and then proceeding to make a lot of blunt and fumbling yet accurate observations that I also had while watching the film, exploring and sharing interesting and relevant information about Ozu's style, history, and place in cinema. I really like his description of the shots and compositions, which of course are a very fecund topic in Ozu.

Anyway, this and his enthusiasm for Walkabout are two things I can appreciate about Ebert. And his ability to observe and articulate here just proves to me that he really is dumbing down when he writes for the local newspaper and talks on TV.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianAnyway, this and his enthusiasm for Walkabout are two things I can appreciate about Ebert. And his ability to observe and articulate here just proves to me that he really is dumbing down when he writes for the local newspaper and talks on TV.
I see exactly what you mean. There is that feeling in each of his reviews that he's going back to the basics and starting all over again.

Also check out his Dark City commentary if you haven't. He literally doesn't stop talking.

I think he might be happier as a professor.

Ghostboy

His Citizen Kane commentary is also very good, as it should be considering the number of times he went through it shot by shot with a film class.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

pete

remember when he did the commentary to Dark City for free just because he loved the movie so bad and wanted it released on LaserDisc so he could watch it frame-by-frame?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

Quote from: peteremember when he did the commentary to Dark City for free just because he loved the movie so bad and wanted it released on LaserDisc so he could watch it frame-by-frame?
Apparently he does them all for free..

tpfkabi

i saw Ebert and Roeper on TV for the first time in a long time. i was really surprised at how much his appearance has changed.

they heatedly disagreed on The Saddest Music in the World(i'm probably messing up the title there)......it's shot in b&w and made to look like a silent film
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

context, context, context.