Roger Ebert

Started by filmcritic, June 18, 2003, 11:33:11 AM

polkablues

Quote from: P on June 10, 2010, 07:11:05 PM
what the fuck was that?

anyway, i'd hate to be around when mutinyco starts boasting about THIS to everyone.

(remember when he used to do that? pete does.)

A reference, no doubt, to this...

Quote from: mutinyco on February 14, 2006, 10:09:15 PM
Hmmm...

I don't recall saying anything to Pete, so his swipe at me is a little odd.

Suffice... Pete, of the two of us, you're the one with the Herzog quote as your signature. I'm the one who met him, filmed an interview, and generated several thousand hits from the encounter.

Remember your place.

The post itself earned its place in Xixax history, but ShanghaiOrange's reply was like the tawny port after a fine meal:

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange on February 14, 2006, 11:18:58 PM
One time I saw Matt Damon in a clothing store on Rodeo Drive, so I guess that makes me Jesus fucking Christ.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

ono

Using "tawny port" was the finest tawny port of all.  :yabbse-thumbup:  Who car's about mutinyco?  He's just doing it to get into Spielberg's pants.

cronopio 2

ebert's been an asshole about videogames on twitter lately, but i still respect the man in an big way.

Stefen

As soon as Ebert starts playing video games, one of them will BLOW HIS MIND. Knock it clean off. His face will be a mess.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

poor guy never had any kids (to the best of my knowledge). he never had a chance of relating to anything youthful. by the time household videogame consoles became the norm in the 80s he was already 140 years old.

what's weird is that he likes using the internet and other kinds of technology, especially now that he can't talk and he's half robot. i think he just finds the nudity on video games not as convincing as good old fashioned gonzo, which as an internet connoisseur he must be well versed in.
under the paving stones.

Alexandro

I'm under the impression he has grandchildren and wrote his ET review as a letter to them (?).

Anyway, I don't know shit about videogames, couldn't care less about them. Stop playing them after the Super Nintendo. But precisely because I know next to nothing about them I would never say something as fucked up as "they will never be art". He's just old.

cronopio 2

and you know the worst part is  he's never struck me as an art buff like robert hughes or jonathan jones, he's always branded himself as a film geek exclusively, so for him to start dissing videogames for their artistic value is as tired and boring as a person who doesn't watch 'the idiot box'.    if you want to be cruel to me, put me in the middle of a conversation about what's art and what's not.

MacGuffin

Martin Scorsese & 'Hoop Dreams' Helmer Steve James Team For Documentary Based On Roger Ebert's Memoirs
Source: Playlist

As probably the most celebrated and beloved film critic around, a man whose work has appeared in the Chicago Sun-Times for 45 years, who co-hosted "At The Movies" with Gene Siskel for almost 25, and who was the first film critic to win the Pulitzer Prize, it's almost surprising that Roger Ebert has never been the subject of a movie himself. He's had some limited involvement behind the scenes of other films -- he wrote scripts for exploitations maestro Russ Meyer in the 1970s, but no one's ever made a major film about Ebert.

But all that's about to change, and with some serious talent involved. Ebert tweeted this morning that his memoir, "Life Itself," which was published last year, and recently hit as a paperback, "has been optioned for a doc by Steve James ("Hoop Dreams") and Steven Zaillian, with Martin Scorsese as exec producer" And Ebert has expanded on the news a little, telling Matt Singer at Criticwire "This dropped out of the blue. They say they have a good idea for an approach. I believe Steve James' 'Hoop Dreams' is one of the greatest documentaries ever made, and my hopes for this are so high. I never thought of my book as a doc. I'm keeping hands off any involvement, such as with the screenplay, because I don't want to be a third wheel. Whatever they do I will be fascinated."

We'd certainly agree on his assessment of James (whose "The Interrupters" was one of the best films of last year), and having Zaillian, who will presumably produce through his Film Rites shingle, is a boon as well, to say nothing of Scorsese -- who Ebert has always described as one of his favorite filmmakers, and who was the subject of the book "Scorsese by Ebert." It's clearly early days -- there's as yet no word if the film will be a straight-up biography of Ebert or something more wide-reaching about cinema, but either way it's exciting news. We'll bring you more news on the project as it comes in.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 07, 2012, 12:52:43 PM
Scorsese -- who Ebert has always described as one of his favorite filmmakers, and who was the subject of the book "Scorsese by Ebert."

No shit?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Fernando

ono

News travels so fast.  Wow.  *sniffles*  That whole "who's next to croak" thread, and none of 'em, save maybe Andy Griffith, matters as much, to me anyway.

Kellen

Reel

Rest In Peace, Roger. I Love You

Frederico Fellini

Never imagined I would feel like this about Ebert...  But damn, a part of Cinema died today....   May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. Good-night, sweet prince.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.