Heavenly Creatures

Started by Derek, June 19, 2003, 06:42:14 PM

Derek

Finally got around to renting this last night, after putting it off forever. Most here have probably seen it, and I think it was fantastic. A couple of truly great performances by the two leads, reminded me of Picnic At Hanging Rock a lot. Not just because of the down under setting.....well, that was mostly why, I suppose. And a true story to boot! Did a little research and found out that Winslet's character is now a best-selling author named Anne Perry.

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on the movie.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

chainsmoking insomniac

I thought it was a GREAT fucking film.  Winslet is soooo good in it.   Who would have thought she could play such a chillingly warped chick???  And the best part about this film is that it's based on a true story.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

godardian

I thought it was just brilliant. Still my fave Peter Jackson film, by far. I love stories that don't sentimentalize adolescence... and this was definitely one of those.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

oakmanc234

Very good movie. But the ending nearly traumatized me.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

aclockworkjj

I actually had to watch this in school....and honestly, it made me fall in love with Kate Winslet.....too bad about Titanic though...

Ernie

This film actually interests me despite my hate for Peter Jackson (mainly LOTR). I love the title. Maybe I'll rent it soon.

Pubrick

Quote from: ebeamanThis film actually interests me despite my hate for Peter Jackson (mainly LOTR). I love the title. Maybe I'll rent it soon.
actually huh. it actually does. wow.
under the paving stones.