Schizopolis

Started by children with angels, March 10, 2003, 08:13:12 AM

mindfuck

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Even this?

Hmmm. I guess. Trust me, I've got worse left over from when I still lived with my ex.

MacGuffin

Finally saw this today, and I was laughing all the way through. I was very impressed with Soderbergh, the actor. Maybe his performance came natural because I felt I was watching his personal life played out on screen. Seems like all the crisises that were going on in his life at that time, this film was his way in dealing with them (a lot a metaphors), even having his real-life ex-wife play his movie wife as they portray a couple unable to communicate. So many great/funny lines, and, like Weak2ndAct, I too loved the music.

I haven't gone through all the extras yet, but I look forward to listening to the commentary, as he always has the best tracks.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

MacG--
I'm waiting for this one to arrive.  What's the dish on the extras?  And does he start the commentary with "welcome to another episode of a couple of white guys..."?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Weak2ndActMacG--
I'm waiting for this one to arrive.  What's the dish on the extras?  And does he start the commentary with "welcome to another episode of a couple of white guys..."?

Maximum Busy Muscle is basically a compliation of deleted scenes, nothing much, but there are more funny nuggets there. The scene of him trying to pick up on his ex-wife is the best of the bunch though.

I started his commentary track, and it was pretty funny so far. He doesn't answer the questions asked by himself straightforwardly (he says this was a proposed David Lean project...after his death). So in a way, it's keeping in the spirit of the film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Something Spanish

Finally! I saw Schizopolis about a year ago and loved it, but was unable to obtain a copy to own. Picked up the Criterion DVD and just saw it again: whoa-daddy! What a knockout film...so out there and original. Jolt of audacity. Every fan of original cinema should rent it (or buy it if you have the $) as soon as possible. This is before Soderbergh went mainstream.

modage

i just watched this tonite.   :shock: so weird.  really funny, but i dont think i'm smart enough for a movie like this. it was just too much weird.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

For anyone who hasn't seen the Criterion, his commentary is almost as brilliant as the movie.

Alethia

Quote from: Shaun DigiThis is before Soderbergh went mainstream.

oh yeah, he had dollar signs in his eyes when he made full frontal and solaris......

:wink:

Something Spanish

Betrayed by my own words. Touche, eward.

By Solaris' box-office income, I bet Soderbergh wished he had had dollar signs in his eyes before making it. Then again, I'm glad he didn't. He probably is too. sigh. I need drugs. now.

Weak2ndAct

If you picked up the dvd, take out the front cover and read the reverse side.  Disclaimers and other nonsense keeping in the spirit of the movie.

And Soderbergh in an afro wig is the funniest thing I've seen in ages.

"Shut the fuck up, clown."

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Weak2ndActAnd Soderbergh in an afro wig is the funniest thing I've seen in ages.
Yes, that was great. Because his hair would never do that.

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanFor anyone who hasn't seen the Criterion, his commentary is almost as brilliant as the movie.

I have this on my shelf, just waiting to be watched. It's at the end of a long line, but I can't wait. I bet it'll be even better than the commentary on Blood Simple, which absolutely slays me.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Alethia

Quote from: Shaun DigiBy Solaris' box-office income, I bet Soderbergh wished he had had dollar signs in his eyes before making it. Then again, I'm glad he didn't. He probably is too. sigh. I need drugs. now.

i'm glad he didn't either, it was a really terrific film...

Fishbulb

I just watched this; it was pretty damn funny. Soderbergh should definitely make more silly comedies. The best parts of "Full Frontal" were the random weird scenes, like Catherine Keener tossing the globe to her employees and making them recite all the state capitals, or Nicky Katt as the guy rehearsing a play as Hitler. That's pretty much what "Schizopolis" is like, just an entire movie of non sequitir moments. I liked the "I very much enjoy your wife's big ass" conversation between Soderbergh and his neigbor, and the newscast about the US selling Rhode Island was the most LOL moment I've seen in a movie in a while. "The President responded, 'Well, at least we didn't sell it to the fucking Japanese."
I hope he does more movies like this and less like "Solaris" in the future.

Sigur Rós

:: Wondering what the fuck I'm doing in the Soderbergh thread... :shock:  ::