In Good Company

Started by Chest Rockwell, February 20, 2004, 05:44:52 PM

Chest Rockwell

Two little articles I was able to find on it, the first just a teaser and the second a review of the screenplay (no spoilers). The more I read about it the more I become interested in it. Perhaps it will turn out nicely?

Synergy

Directed by: Paul Weitz
Written by: Paul Weitz
Cast: Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace, Scarlett Johansson
Studio: Universal
Genre: Comedy
Release Date: TBA 2004 (wide)

PLOT

Dan Foreman (played by Dennis Quaid) is headed for a shakeup. He is demoted from head of ad sales for a major magazine when the company he works for is acquired in a corporate takeover. His new boss, Tom (played by Topher Grace) is half his age—a business school prodigy who preaches corporate Synergy. While Dan develops clients through handshake deals and relationships, Tom cross-promotes the magazine with the cell phone division and “Krispity Krunch,” an indeterminate snack food under the same corporate umbrella.

Both men are going through turmoil at home. Dan has two daughters—Alex, age 18, and Jana, age 16—and is shocked when his wife tells him she’s pregnant with a new child. Between college tuition, the mortgage and a new baby, Dan can’t afford to lose his job in the wave of corporate layoffs. Tom, in the meanwhile, is dumped by his wife of seven months just as he gets his promotion. Dan and Tom’s uneasy friendship is thrown into jeopardy when Tom falls for, and begins an affair with, Dan’s daughter Alex (Scarlett Johansson). Weitz’s examination of life’s surprises, ironies and coincidences combine to form Synergy.

The Stax Report: Script Review of Synergy
January 22, 2004 - Stax here with my reaction to the screenplay for Synergy! This 120-page draft dated February 19, 2003 is credited to Paul Weitz who, along with his brother Chris, wrote and directed the vastly underrated About a Boy. Synergy will begin filming this spring under Paul Weitz's direction. The cast includes Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace (Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!), and Scarlett Johansson (The Perfect Score). Universal will release it this fall.

Synergy is a dramedy about two men – one middle-aged, the other in his twenties – who have both arrived at a crossroads in their lives. Dan Foreman (Quaid) is an old-fashioned ad salesman for Sports America magazine. He finds himself demoted and working for 28- year-old hotshot Tom Duryea (Grace) after the company is taken over by the giant GlobeCom corporation.

Dan is also shocked to find out that his wife Ann is unexpectedly pregnant. They already have two teenage daughters, college-bound Alex (Johansson) and slightly younger Jana. Dan is just trying to keep his head above water and not lose his job.

He's ticked to be working for a guy half his age but finds himself unwittingly becoming friends with Tom whose life isn't as smooth or rewarding as it seems. Tom's wife of seven months suddenly ditches him right after his big promotion. He's lonely and not quite ready for the pressures and responsibilities that have been thrust upon him.

Dan and Tom's friendship is put to the test when Tom and Alex begin secretly seeing each other. Further pressures are added when Dan and Tom's futures at Sports America (and the fate of the magazine itself) are put on the line.

Synergy may seem a little too realistic for some; after all, don't many of us go to the movies to escape from such worries? Then again there is an obvious wish fulfillment to be found in seeing an Everyman take on The System. Since the problems that Dan (and to a lesser extent Tom) faces are ones that most audience members can relate to that makes him an instantly identifiable and sympathetic protagonist.

Tom finds a mentor and father figure in Dan, which is ironic considering that he's Dan's boss. Tom is a young man who is beginning to question his beliefs and commitment to the corporate lifestyle. Even his relationship with Alex isn't quite what he thinks it is. He must learn the lesson that Stan Lee taught so many of us long ago: that with great power comes great responsibility.

You'd be incorrect to assume that Synergy is some sort of anti-capitalist screed. Dan is a loyal company man, an old-fashioned salesman who uses face-to-face meetings and believes in what he sells. He's simply resistant to adopting the soulless and selfish tactics the game now requires. His dilemma is whether a man in his precarious position can afford to have courage or convictions anymore.

Synergy was witty rather than hilarious, which is fine as there's precious little that's funny about losing your job or making ends meet. My only real gripe with this draft was with its resolution, which is an area that I want to skirt around so as to not reveal any spoilers.

Suffice to say that it just seemed too quick and easy a resolution given what the stakes were. I would've liked to have seen Dan and Tom do more work and face some setbacks in pursuit of their mutual goal. Other than that, I found Synergy to be a thoughtful slice-of-life tale for the post-Enron age. – STAX

MacGuffin

CSI's Marg Helgenberger Joins Synergy
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation star Marg Helgenberger has joined the cast of the Weitz brothers' Synergy for Universal Pictures.

The comedy revolves around the uneasy relationship between a 50-year-old businessman (Dennis Quaid) and his new 26-year-old boss (Topher Grace). The younger boss is having an affair with the older man's daughter (Scarlett Johansson). Helgenberger will play the wife of Dennis Quaid's character and mother to Johansson's character.

Selma Blair, Clark Gregg, Philip Baker Hall and David Paymer round out the cast for the film which starts shooting March 15. Paul Weitz will direct from his own script, with Chris Weitz producing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Casting Update for Synergy

Blair, Gregg, Hall & Paymer in Universal's Synergy Source: The
Hollywood Reporter Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Selma Blair, Clark Gregg, Philip Baker Hall and David Paymer have
signed on to appear in the Weitz brothers' Synergy for Universal
Pictures.

The comedy follows the uneasy relationship between a 50-year-old
businessman (Dennis Quaid) and his new 26-year-old boss (Topher
Grace). The younger boss is having an affair with the older man's
daughter (Scarlett Johansson).

Blair will play Grace's unhappy wife, whom he has just wed, while
Gregg will appear as Grace's boss, who wants Quaid fired. Hall
portrays the head of an auto-supply chain that Quaid is trying to get
as a client, while Paymer has been set as Quaid's co-worker, who has
his own set of insecurities.

modage

Synergy Given the Ax After Much News!

February 20, 2004 - After a flood of news on the film, apparently talks between the director and the studio have fallen apart and they've decided not to go ahead with this project.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

themodernage02 Eaten by Wolves

February 20, 2004--This just in, Themodernage02 died today. He was torn to shreds by a pack of rabid wolves. He was delicious.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest Rockwellthemodernage02 Eaten by Wolves

February 20, 2004--This just in, Themodernage02 died today. He was torn to shreds by a pack of rabid wolves. He was delicious.

Dibs on his DVD collection.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: MacGuffin

Shazbot!

modage

haha, dont you have them all?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02haha, dont you have them all?

Trade in for credit... Wait a minute...You're alive!!!

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

My sources seem to be mis-informed. Turns out it was actually bonanzataz, which explains his defunctnicity for the last few weeks.

modage

Quote from: themodernage02haha, dont you have them all?

Trade in for credit... Wait a minute...You're alive!!!
wait, i do know one i know you dont have...

HHAHAAHAHA, i KNOW you want it!

Chest Rockwell

Anyways, any real comments on the movie thus far?

Sleuth

Gerald Ford shot dead today at the senseless age of 83.
I like to hug dogs

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: SloyjGerald Ford shot dead today at the senseless age of 83.

Haha. That's the skit.

matt35mm

The title has been changed to In Good Company.

Trailer HERE.