The X-Files: I Want to Believe

Started by coffeebeetle, December 03, 2003, 11:09:24 AM

diggler

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

polkablues

I hope you guys are just reacting to Xzibit (spell-check suggests "Kibitzed"), because Billy Connolly and Amanda Peet are both awesome.
My house, my rules, my coffee

diggler

actually i was responding to Peet.  Kibitzed doesn't bother me at all actually.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Sleepless

I was mainly reacting to Connolly. You gotta understand, I grew up in the UK back when he was just known as a stand-up. I've seen him dye his beard purple and dance around London naked. It felt weird just seeing him in 'Samurai'. He doesn't belong in the X-Files universe. I mean, you wouldn't put Shia LaBeouf in an Indiana Jones film would you?

Damnit. My childhood is going straight to hell.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

So the three of us are upset about that story for three different reasons.  I like it.

Hey, maybe it's not too late to put Shia Labeouf in X-Files!  He could be the hotshot new FBI Assistant Director who's all up in Mulder's grill about his unorthodox methods and who wants to shut down the X-Files until he gets abducted by the (monster/alien/mutated hillbilly/escapee from rogue government science experiment) and gets his ass saved by Mulder and Scully at the last second.  And to the producers whom I'm sure are reading this: if this ends up happening, you owe me fifty bucks.  This post is time-stamped, so don't even pretend you didn't steal the idea from me.

hedwig

ok so i have a person to blame if shia ruins this movie. thanks.

i was upset by xzibit because raptors always suck unless they're mos def and because the x(zibit)-files is the best show EVER.

polkablues

Quote from: Hedwig on December 06, 2007, 08:04:45 PM
ok so i have a person to blame if shia ruins this movie. thanks.

As long as I get my fifty bucks, I don't care.

But anyway, the only reason people keep casting him in movies is that he's easy to write dialogue for:

MacGuffin

Quote from: Hedwig on December 06, 2007, 08:04:45 PMi was upset by xzibit because raptors always suck unless they're mos def and because the x(zibit)-files is the best show EVER.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

MacGuffin

First look: 'X-Files' returns to theaters, minus alien mythology
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES — The sequel is out there.

The conspiracy theories will not be.

Ten years after the first film and six years after the show went off the air, The X-Files returns to theaters with Fox Mulder, Dana Scully — and a lot riding on the bet that fans want more of the FBI's paranormal-investigating agents.

The film, which remains without a formal title, will dump the long-running "mythology" plotline — that aliens live among us and are part of a colonizing effort — that made it one of the most popular television shows in the late 1990s but ultimately drove away some viewers who found it too complex and ambiguous.

"We spent a lot of time on (the mythology) and wrapped up a lot of threads" when the show went off the air in 2002, says Chris Carter, creator of the series and director of the new movie. "We want a stand-alone movie, not a mythology conspiracy one."

That will come as welcome news to fans of the show's stand-alone episodes, which included cults, ghosts, psychics and ancient curses.

Carter refuses to divulge any plot points of the movie, but says he wanted to make the film immediately after the show ended. A contractual dispute with 20th Century Fox kept it on the shelf until the case was settled out of court.

He says the delay may turn out to be a blessing.

"There's a whole audience I want to introduce X-Files to," Carter says. "There were kids who couldn't watch it on TV because it was too scary. Now they're in college. I wanted a movie that everyone could go to."

Whether they will could be a test of the show's legacy, says Blair Butler of the G4TV network, which caters to video-game enthusiasts and science-fiction fans.

"At its strongest, it had really creepy stand-alone episodes," she says. "They turned it into a great franchise. But a lot of years have passed. We'll see if it's fallen off the radar."

She says the film could benefit from an ironic twist: the Writers Guild strike.

"I think it could be a sort comfort food for the people who loved how original the show was and aren't seeing original TV now," she says.

But Carter believes they'll be drawn by something else: the show's stars, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.

"For me, The X-Files has always been a romance," he says. "They had an intellectual romance that's very rare and restrained compared to so many relationships on TV. I think that's what appealed most to the fans. And they're back."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

That's either really unflattering lighting, or Gillian Anderson got some sort of chin implant.  Either one could ruin this movie.

picolas

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Sleepless

Link to spoilerific call sheet: http://www.xfilesultimate.com/pictures/episodes/203/papers_0002.jpg

Spoilerific pictures of Xzibit on set:

well, not really - quite boring actually.....