The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleepless

Quote from: Sleepless on June 15, 2011, 04:03:02 PM
It's been a few days since I saw it now, and I sat down earlier to write a blog on it (I'll share the link once I post it).

It's here.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

Saw it last night. Didn't even need to let it settle. First masterpiece of the 2010's.

Some of the montages sent chills down my spine.

Couple questions...

SPOILERS
Near the beginning, young Jack is being led away by his mother while a man convulses on the lawn in the background. What was this about? Also later on, what were all the men doing in handcuffs and why does Jack ask if it can happen to them? The men seemed to be sick.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleepless

Tune into the 6 hour version to find out!!!!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

picolas

spoils (although if you accidentally read any of this it doesn't matter)

i would guess it's a seizure, but regardless, i'd say that fragment is a vision of being shielded from things as a kid. a half-remembered time when your mother didn't want you looking at that thing because you weren't ready to see it.

not sure how the prisoners arrived there. maybe a field trip? i think that moment is about being introduced to the idea of your own capacity for evil; being aware that anyone can become a criminal, part of the recurring theme of learning empathy for those 'lesser.'

ps. everyone remotely interested in various interpretations of tree should read that massive article i posted. and that guy's whole blog. he unlocks the shit out of things.

( http://nilesfilmfiles.blogspot.com/2011/06/song-of-himself-terrence-malicks-tree.html )

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

Quote from: S.R. on June 20, 2011, 12:41:11 PM
Near the beginning, young Jack is being led away by his mother while a man convulses on the lawn in the background. What was this about?

I interpreted that as just a random coming-of-age thing, i.e. he saw some random person having a seizure and found it to be really strange. IIRC, the music during that scene was the opposite of foreboding.

Quote from: S.R. on June 20, 2011, 12:41:11 PMAlso later on, what were all the men doing in handcuffs and why does Jack ask if it can happen to them? The men seemed to be sick.

Not sure why I got this from it, but I thought they were being taken to a leper colony.

Stefen

^those are all good reasons. I'm seeing it again this weekend.

This is from a theater in Connecticut.

Isn't Connecticut filled with upper-class WASPY white people who love Tree of Life type stuff?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: S.R. on June 24, 2011, 12:41:15 PM
Isn't Connecticut filled with upper-class WASPY white people who love Tree of Life type stuff?

Upper class WASPs are the worst.  They're a huge demographic at my theater.  They come for indie movies, but when we get decent films (i.e. - ones that are not immediately satisfying or cause one to think, the bane of WASP existence) they always storm out AT THE END and demand a refund.  Not during the movie, objecting to any imagery.  Just "I didn't like it, give me a pass for next time."  This is an awful business model that our managers give in to all too often.

This same shit happened a lot after the ending of White Ribbon, people unsatisfied that "it had no ending."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

the WASPs and their "if I wanted to read a book, I would've stayed at home" line for subtitled film refunds. But they don't read, which was why they were at the movie theater in the first place.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

New Feeling

really didn't like this, and I'm a fan of all Malick's previous efforts.  There are some fine moments but the whole is terribly unsatisfying.  Even though I feel the quality of his work has been on the steady decline I couldn't have foreseen such a mess as this. 

Fernando

Quote from: Fernando on June 17, 2011, 01:43:00 PM
bad news my Mexican friends

just spoke with a woman that talks about film on the radio, and told me that the distributor Artecinema Gussi has it, and apparently the plan is to release it at the Morelia Film Festival in OCTOBER!!

I hope she's wrong cuz if true this means we will see it maybe til november/december in other cities.

it's official. the release date will be december 16!!!

http://www.artecinema.com.mx/proximamente/385-tree.html

fuckkk!!

Stefen

cronopio 2

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

matt35mm

I was waiting for that song to pop up in this thread. I'm surprised it took this long.