Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

jenkins

i really think one way to do it is just not like it. just feel exactly that way about it and maybe wait a couple years, which by then one might react either better the same or worse who gives a shit the whole fun is the gamble and i think when it's fresh in your mind it's harder to gamble on

WorldForgot

The End of The Trail: ShowHide
Quote"So these last four Italian flicks, after 9 years together, would be Rick & Cliff's final rodeo. Cliff, doesn't have a clue what he's going to do. The only thing the two men know of for sure: Tonight Rick & Cliff will have a good old fashion drunk. Both men know once the plane touches down in El Segundo, it'll be the end of an era for both 'em. When you come to the end of an era with a buddy who's more than a brother and a little less than a wife, getting blind drunk together is really the only way to say farewell."

wilberfan

I'll put this here, because I've watched it three times, that's why.

Drill

I rewatched it and I still don't think it's any good. It's just not a very good script. I don't think it's worth grappling with so much.

jviness02

Quote from: Alexandro on November 27, 2019, 05:16:18 PM
I gave this two shots (so far). The first time I was truly underwhelmed for reasons other have exposed here before me. Mainly, I felt the film dragged and never really took off. Scenes were good by themselves, some of them great, but the energy kept escaping because everything was taking forever. DiCaprio en Pitt are terrific, the film has some great sequences, a lot to chew on, but I was impatient during most of it.

Still, I went back a week later, this time to an IMAX screening, and sure enough, I quickly realized that on that first showing I had been scammed. There was NO VOLUME at my first screening. At least the speakers weren't properly calibrated. Weird that I didn't notice, as I tend to be that asshole who gets up 20 seconds into the movie to tell an employee to crank the volume up. But  this time, I guess it was loud enough but not correctly so. With the IMAX, I could feel the movie I was really supposed to see all along, and everything was way better.  But still...

Spoiler: ShowHide
 ... around the first sequence of DiCaprio acting within the tv show things started to drag again. I don't understand why that sequence takes so long. I mean the fictional scene, before he forgets his lines. It just goes on and on for no good reason.

I'll give it a third go soon, and hopefully I will see the perfect masterpiece everyone else is, although I've had the same feeling of unnecessary dragging on from Tarantino's films ever since Django Unchained.

I LOVE this film, but I agree with you that the Lancer scene plays out WAY TOO LONG before he forgets his lines. It's really the only problem I have with the whole picture.

wilberfan

As part of the ongoing Awards Flogging Season, Marc Maron is in session with Brad & Leo in the episode that dropped today.

https://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1086-brad-pitt-amp-leonardo-dicaprio

wilberfan

Four-Hour 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' Extended Cut Might Be Available Next Year

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is already a long movie, but it's about to get even longer. Quentin Tarantino shot a lot of footage for his latest film, and there's a chance we might get to see it all in about a year. Rumors of an extended cut of Hollywood have abounded ever since the film premiered, including the potential for a Netflix miniseries release – something Tarantino did for an extended version of The Hateful Eight. During a recent Q&A, Tarantino confirmed that a longer cut does indeed exist, and it might be released.

Quentin Tarantino, Brad Pitt, and Leonardo DiCaprio recently got together again for an FYC screening of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, where Tarantino confirmed a Once Upon a Time in Hollywood extended cut could be headed our way very soon. "It's all good," Tarantino said of the additional footage (via Collider). "It's all great. I don't know if an audience would sit for it, but I love it. So we showed it to Tom Rothman and it was like, 'OK, here this all is. We know that this is a movie, but maybe you can help us out because we like everything."

At which point Pitt asked Tarantino if the general public would ever get to see all of this footage. "Hey look, it's all good so once this whole thing is said and done, maybe in a year's time, we probably will," Tarantino replied. Last year, Pitt hinted that Tarantino might be working on a Hollywood miniseries for Netflix – an approach Tarantino took for The Hateful Eight.

It's still not clear what approach Tarantino will take here, but it's obvious that there's plenty of unused footage left to see. The trailers for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood had several beats not in the film itself (I particularly remember a shot of Margot Robbie's Sharon Tate climbing out of a swimming pool), and Damon Herriman, who plays Charles Manson in one brief scene in the theatrical cut, says he definitely shot more Manson scenes that didn't end up in the movie.

I loved Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and would happily watch an even longer cut, be it a film or a miniseries. Whatever Tarantino wants to do with this thing, I'm in. Here's hoping this is something that's actually going to happen and not one of those things Tarantino just likes to talk about without actually going through with, like his now-dead R-rated Star Trek movie.

Source

jenkins

Model Shop is to this what City on Fire is to Reservoir Dogs, i mean the similarities are striking

©brad

Tarantino is a guest on 3 episodes of Bill Simmons' "The Rewatchables" podcast (a movie podcast about rewatchable movies). The movies Quentin choose to discuss are Dunkirk, Unstoppable, and King of New York. I've only listened to Unstoppable so far but it's pretty great. Their discussion gave me a newfound appreciation of Tony Scott.   

Neil

I thought all three eps were great, and I just rewatched Unstoppable this evening. I totally agree with ya about the newfound appreciation for Tony!
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Alethia

All three of those convo's are great! My favorite is King of New York, not least for QT's Larry Fishburne impression.

wilberfan

I always find these self-serving, "my co-worker is so awesome", Oscar Vote Pandering videos to be pretty cringeworthy, but there's some cool behind the scenes footage in here that made it an interesting watch.

https://youtu.be/8AxkaueDxYM

Alethia

Robyn

Do you think this has any chance at the Oscars beside original screenplay?

Brad Pitt for supporting role would be nice, but I have a feeling Tom Hanks will get it (or I'm completely wrong about that, Pitt has won it at the other awards)