Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

jenkins

it has a best picture chance. that, parasite, 1917, and jojo. jojo doesn't have a best director nom so it's least likely

didn't realize tom was a supporting in that movie

wilberfan

Despite my disappointment with the film overall, I'd love to see Brad get best supporting for this.

Sleepless

Everything I'm hearing suggests that Pitt has this in the bag, and unless there's a Marriage Story-shaped spoiler, the Original Screenplay award is Tarantino's. I'd love for him to win the Directing Oscar finally too - I really think this is his best directed movie - but that's unlikely (my money's on Bong). Honestly, I'd prefer that outcome be switched.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: Robyn on February 06, 2020, 12:22:55 PM
Do you think this has any chance at the Oscars beside original screenplay?

Brad Pitt for supporting role would be nice, but I have a feeling Tom Hanks will get it (or I'm completely wrong about that, Pitt has won it at the other awards)

Pitt is a presumed lock at this point. Screenplay could be a toss up between this and Parasite.

Alethia

I'd rather see him win Director this time round too, he already has two screenplay statues. I'll be shocked if Pitt loses.

Watch 1917 sweep.

It'd be hilarious if Joker got nothing.

Drenk

I like the movie. But the script is low on the list of things I'd congratulate.
Ascension.

Alethia

I'd like to be able to read the damn thing already.

Drenk

Haven't you read that DiCaprio forgetting his lines and freaking out in the trailer was his idea? The whole thing, basically. Or that Pitt and the acid came from...Pitt. From what I understand, a lot has been suggested to Tarantino, and he even acknowledged that his actors helped him shape the movie when he received the Golden Globe for Best Screenplay. We'll probably never read the original draft, I'm sure it's kind of weak.
Ascension.

Alethia

I didn't know that about the acid bit. And so what if it's kinda weak, it's just a script, I'm happy that he's starting to loosen the reigns a bit in that regard. Release it, Quentin! I mean PTA's leaked scripts are pretty rough, don't be shy.

Drenk

But Tarantino's aren't rough, usually. I don't know if it was by design. Anyway, that's radically different from The Hateful Eight, which could have been a play.
Ascension.

jenkins

there's background info in that script based on every other script of his. contextual info

Alethia

Yes, that's what I'm most interested in.

Drill

He doesn't deserve a screenplay Oscar for this, which, in Oscar logic, means he probably will win.

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilberfan on November 27, 2019, 12:33:50 AM

Even the half hour of extra material is boring. 

Spoiler: ShowHide
There's an extended scene with Charlie that had me shaking my head.  An improvised (?) scene between Rick and Wanamaker that just lays there and goes on forever.

Finally got to watch these and I really like both -- the film's so laid back that even its one (excised) tense Charlie Manson scene features a protective pet. Rick and Wanamaker's scene reminds me of Fred Raskin'z mention that they were aiming for GREETINGS era De Palma with the film's smash cuts - "hippie girl, acid cigarette" - so you can imagine that they'd roll and roll within Lancer's set day and grab what gels.

I wonder if both or only one of these scenez went to Cannes. 

wilberfan

Well. I, uh...  Hmm.  Anyone wanna take this one?

Why Does 'Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood' Feature So Many Real-Life Pedophiles?
Quentin Tarantino's film is filled with sexual abusers — including my great uncle, James Stacy — and parades young female flesh for our consumption

QuoteDuring his opening monologue at the Golden Globes last month, Ricky Gervais announced, "It was a big year for pedophile movies — 'Surviving R. Kelly.' 'Leaving Neverland.' (pause) 'The Two Popes.'" The audience erupted in laughter but I felt sick to my stomach. What about "Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood," a film that went on to win three of the top awards that night, including Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy?

Quentin Tarantino's new movie includes Timothy Olyphant in a supporting role as James Stacy, an actor on the real-life Western TV show "Lancer" (starring Leonardo DiCaprio's fictional Rick Dalton in the film) who was a serial pedophile. Stacy, who is my great uncle, in 1995 pleaded no contest to molesting an 11-year-old girl and served six years in prison. Although he had a charming role in Tarantino's latest film, Stacy has long been the villain in my family's "Once Upon a Time."

QuoteStacy is just one of at least three real-life men in the film known to have sexually abused young women and children, including Roman Polanski and Charles Manson. The film never mentions any of these men within the context of their historical crimes or calls alarm to sexual desire of minors. Quite the opposite: We are primed to accept and replicate their behavior.

Source