Agents

Started by metroshane, October 06, 2003, 11:22:04 AM

metroshane

Anyone here have an agent?  for screenwriting that is?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Weak2ndAct

Yes I do, for screenwriting.

metroshane

Good for you.  May I ask how many scripts (specs, features, shorts, etc) should you have before you start looking for an agent?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Weak2ndAct

Hrrrmmm, there's no real *right* answer to that question.  My experience, as I've been told, is the 'exception': I got signed off of the strength of one screenplay.  They wanted a second one to confirm that I wasn't a 'one hit wonder.'  Some agents want more, to prove you have range.  I'd say three is as good of a number that I could think of.  And those three should be basically shooting drafts, revised oodles of times.  Every i and t should be dotted and crossed.  

As for shorts, do mean screenplays for short films?  If so, those mean nothing.  As for short films, they gotta be quick, punchy and incredibly well made.  They'll turn off the tape in a minute if you're boring them.

metroshane

Actually, I was reading that you should have a range of screenplays from 1/2 comedy specs to shorts to features to show.  Just wondering if that's the real world.

Did you send a query or did they find you?

Weak2ndAct

It really doesn't matter what genre you have, as long as it's good.  Variety's nice.  If you're talking about writing, shorts really *don't* matter.  Re: features: agents care more if the movie's been 'produced' legitimately, not something dv that you did on the cheap-- unless it's really fucking great.  The whole situation is catch-22.  Won't get looked at if you're not produced, can't get anything going w/out an agent.

As for how I got in, I believe I posted this someplace else, but I'm too lazy to look it up, so I'll rehash: I had an 'in.'  I wrote another script before that I got optioned and had a director attached.  I asked them for help w/ the new script once it was good, and they pushed it at their agency (it was already sitting there on someone's desk unread, through another connection).  I've never really queried or anything before, dunno how that goes.

Ghostboy

Soderbergh's mantra applies to this (and pretty much every other aspect of the business): talent + perseverence = luck

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: GhostboySoderbergh's mantra applies to this (and pretty much every other aspect of the business): talent + perseverence = luck
Couldn't agree more.

TheVoiceOfNick

Agents are looking for a voice... sometimes having a wide range isn't good... they want to see that you have a defined view of the world, and that your scripts will all have similar qualities... you can't just be all over the place... unless of course, you want to be the next script doctor that can work on anything... but if you want to get an agent to sell your own ideas, develop a clear voice (watch films by your favorite writers... you'll soon notice that all of that guy's scripts are very similar in some way), and develop stories like crazy... have at least two full length scripts ready to go, and have a bag full of ideas as a backup.  Bottom line: be prepared.

Nick