Bruce Almighty

Started by modage, May 25, 2003, 01:30:03 PM

modage

am i the only one willing to admit i saw this movie?!?  not that i  have much to say about it.  it had a couple moments that really had me laughing but the heavy handedness of the last act didnt really work for me.  jim carrey is a genius though.  i feel like he is one of those actors who must "make the most" of the scripts that come their way and try to fix them up and such, but rarely do we get the full power of the Jim Carrey comedy he is capable of.  usually seeing him on talk shows or in interviews he comes off funnier than he is allowed to be during some of his 2 hour movies.  maybe he should try to write/co-write his own movies instead of being stuck with what comes his way.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pedro

Saw it.  I laughed the entire thing.  Really funny.  The last act of course had to have the moral message and story and all, but I was expecting that.  The rest of the movie was just really funnny stuff.

Sal

I thought it had its moments.  

Was REALLY pissed off to see Universal's backlot used for it, though.  The clocktower belongs to Back to the Future.  Period.  That place should be off limits.

Derek237

I haven't seen it yet but I really want to. It looks halarious!

MacGuffin

Better than what I expected, but not one of Carrey's best. Bulk of the laughs were already exposed in the trailer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

dufresne

$85 Mill it's first weekend?  damn!

Carrey still has that box-office magic.
There are shadows in life, baby.

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: dufresne$85 Mill it's first weekend?  damn!

Carrey still has that box-office magic.

yeah, maybe he'll be in the next PTA movie. :lol:

Alethia

adam sandler didnt have his box office magic in his pta flick, unfortunately.  i saw bruce almighty.  thought it was perfectly ok.  woulda been nothing without jim carrey - and no matter what movie he's in, it's always great to see philip baker hall.  even the two seconds he's in ghostbusters 2 make me smile.

russiasusha

Did anyone see him on conan?

It was a classic show
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

Mesh

Mildly amusing.  One or two big laughs and a couple dozen chuckles.  Four or five film geek moments like the Clint Eastwood stuff and the clip from It's a Wonderful Life (which, btw, is Jim Carrey's genre: the feelgood, lighthearted, socially conservative stuff of Bruce Almighty, The Truman Show, Liar, Liar, etc.).

But surprise, surprise: it was preachy and sappy in the third act.  Very much so.  This is basically a book of light, generic Christian inspiration with Carrey as sideshow.

Finally, I'll say:  Carrey's getting annoying.  That "Good.  Guuuuhhdd!" bullshit got on my nerves instantly, as did "B-E-A-yoo-tiful!" and that awful little Snoop Doggy Dogg reference...."OOOhhh there's a dog in the scene, say something about Snoop Dogg, like, quick!"  Jesus.

nappyrat

it was a funny movie, alot to do with religion and beliefs
i liked it

:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

filmcritic

Remember and don't forget that Philip Baker Hall is in "Bruce Almighty". He has a small role but he has a couple of really good scenes. That alone makes "Bruce Almighty" worth seeing.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Mesh

Quote from: filmcriticRemember and don't forget that Philip Baker Hall is in "Bruce Almighty". He has a small role but he has a couple of really good scenes. That alone makes "Bruce Almighty" worth seeing.

Disagree.

USTopGun47

Bruce Almighty was pathetic.  Jim Carry is a horrible shock value comedian who makes his films a trip to the zoo (and literaly in some instances).  The film's moral message and plot line was obviously incredibly predictable, trite and overused.  I found pretty much all of the scenes to peak at a 2.5 of 10 humor scale, the entire film sinking to about a 0 out of 10.  Horrible, ashame it made even a dollar.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

modage

Quote from: USTopGun47Bruce Almighty was pathetic.  Jim Carry is a horrible shock value comedian who makes his films a trip to the zoo (and literaly in some instances).  The film's moral message and plot line was obviously incredibly predictable, trite and overused.  I found pretty much all of the scenes to peak at a 2.5 of 10 humor scale, the entire film sinking to about a 0 out of 10.  Horrible, ashame it made even a dollar.

and yet, you expected enough to shell out YOUR $9.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.