Comic Books / Graphic Novels

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, March 15, 2006, 12:33:34 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I didn't find a thread for this exactly, so I brought it up here.  What comics and/or graphic novels do you guys read or have thoroughly enjoyed reading? I don't read comics as much as I used to, but I've slowly been getting back into them.

Right now, as indicated by my avatar, I've been deep into the Concrete series.

Other big favorites:

Scud the Disposable Assassin
Preacher
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Swamp Thing
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
Sin City
Hard Boiled
Sandman
Kingdom Come
Astro City
Cerebus

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Read Alan Moore's Supreme, Top 10, and Miracleman; Bendis' Alias, Powers, Torso, and Daredevil; Mike Carey's Lucifer; Grant Morrison's Animal Man and The Invisibles; Jeff Smith's Bone; and all the Hellblazer you can get your hands on.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Polka turned me onto Brian Michael Bendis, I bought "Torso" and "Jinx." I've only read a few pages of Torso, but I found it pretty addicting from the get-go. I have to finish reading Hitchcock/Truffaut before I can finish anything else, but when I do, I'll let you know.
WWPTAD?

GoneSavage

My favorite superhero comic is Batman.
My alltime favorite title is Stray Bullets by David Lapham.  He also did a fine series called Murder Me Dead.
I'm a big fan of Alan Moore's work, especially Watchmen (of course) which I hope never ever gets a movie made of it. 
I read a lot of Madman, Hate, Sandman, The Maxx.

Looking to get into Runaways, Y The Last Man, Transmetropolitan.

modage

My favorite comic of all time is Scud: The Disposable Assassin. and since I grew up in a household with thousands of Batman comics and graphic novels I'm a pretty big fan of the ones that I've read as well, Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns in particular.  i used to read a ton of comics but none that really stuck with me are coming to mind.  i've got a copy of Watchmen on my shelf and have been meaning to read it for a long time so I'll probably get around to that soon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

I love comics by Taiyo Matsumoto, which are completely fresh and original.  they're nihilistic and innocent and the drawing style captures the kineticism of Japanese manga with a heavy surreal French influence.  His stories are always uplifiting, in the strangest ways.  Ping Ping, my favorite movie of all time, was adapted from his comic book.

http://www.shogakukan.co.jp/taiyo/top.html
click on the covers on this site to see a sample of his work.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

sheshothim

Absolutely love X-Men, although I don't get to read much anymore. And when I say X-Men, I mean I was reading X-Treme, New, Ultimate, Uncanny, Excalibur, Astonishing.....as many as I could possibly manage. I read Mystique for a while too--enjoyed that one. Emma Frost: not so much. Maybe if you're a 14 year old girl, I could see it.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

polkablues

Quote from: sheshothim on March 15, 2006, 11:36:35 PM
Absolutely love X-Men, although I don't get to read much anymore. And when I say X-Men, I mean I was reading X-Treme, New, Ultimate, Uncanny, Excalibur, Astonishing.....as many as I could possibly manage. I read Mystique for a while too--enjoyed that one. Emma Frost: not so much. Maybe if you're a 14 year old girl, I could see it.

I hardly read any superhero comics, but Grant Morisson's New X-Men was amazing.

The Ultimates is some good shit, too.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

It's awesome so see so many comic readers here.  I guess it's not too surprising since comics and movies aren't too far apart.

I was working on an adaptation of Scud: The Disposable Assassin and found out that Rob Schrab is working on one himself.  This is simultaneously exciting and irritating, more of the exciting.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

GoneSavage

Wow, I haven't thought about SCUD for a long time.  My brother LOVED that book. 
This thread has inspired me to order some back issues I needed and get excited for Con waaaaaaay too early.

modage

Quote from: Walrus on March 16, 2006, 04:44:07 PM
It's awesome so see so many comic readers here.  I guess it's not too surprising since comics and movies aren't too far apart.

I was working on an adaptation of Scud: The Disposable Assassin and found out that Rob Schrab is working on one himself.  This is simultaneously exciting and irritating, more of the exciting.
there was a crazy rumor years ago that Oliver Stone was interested in making a Scud film, but that was a long time ago. 

currently Schrab can be seen doing the Hell O Clock News on http://www.tenaciousdmovie.com/   but the best news is that he along with fellow Scud writer Dan Harmon wrote their first feature, the upcoming Monster House http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=8370.0 which seems like im the only one excited about it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

sheshothim

I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to start getting some X-Men comics again, and if I do, which ones. I would hate to buy one without buying the other two. (And by that I mean Astonishing without X-Men and Uncanny) Does ANYONE have a suggestion for me?!?!!? Hehe.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

pete

are you a real girl?  'cause if you are but you hang out on xixax and you read comics, then you might be the one for MOST OF US.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reinhold

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on March 15, 2006, 07:58:22 AM
Polka turned me on... I bought "Torso"... and I found it pretty addicting from the get-go. ... I have to finish, but when I do, I'll let you know.

hot.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

sheshothim

Quote from: pete on March 17, 2006, 03:27:48 PM
are you a real girl? 'cause if you are but you hang out on xixax and you read comics, then you might be the one for MOST OF US.

Yes, I'm a real girl, not to be confused with a fake one.

I actually get that a lot.

I'm also an avid gamer, which seems to piss guys off more than turn them on. I end up beating most.