Chaplin and Keaton

Started by Ernie, March 02, 2003, 08:45:13 PM

snaporaz

Quote from: Bill MaplewoodI've never seen a Buster Keaton film, but claiming Buster as "better than Chaplin" is quite something. What're his best films I should definitely check out first? The General?..Sherlock Jr.?..

the general is his best. however, for the best laugh-to-running time ratio, his shorts would be funnier. look out for the boat, the paleface, cops....

oh wait, i already listed his must-see's [scroll up]. but as for his features, besides the general, i'd say to check out go west [which is less slapstick and more chaplin, actually], three ages, seven chances, and college.

sherlock jr. [almost mind-blowing visual effects] and steamboat bill, jr. [great cyclone sequence] both have their charm, but they don't seem to stand up to the others i mentioned.

and save our hospitality for last. i hate saying it, but that movie just fucking sucked.

but the rest really rock. you'd be surprised at how much you'll laugh your ass off.

Bud_Clay

That's awesome....i'll definitely be checkin that stuff out soon enough.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: snaporaz
and save our hospitality for last. i hate saying it, but that movie just fucking sucked.

Oh, I know, this movie is unbearably bad and unfunny. This is the only Keaton movie I have seen, but I dont think he can come near to fucking with Chaplin.

budgie

Quote from: ebeaman69

Quote from: ebeaman69See, look at his eyes...those dark rims under them, that is so fucking cool. I wish I had that.

I'll give you a lend of my eyeliner if you like.  :kiss:

snaporaz

Quote from: Duck SauceOh, I know, this movie is unbearably bad and unfunny. This is the only Keaton movie I have seen, but I dont think he can come near to fucking with Chaplin.

you shouldn't be so sure, especially if that's the only fucking keaton movie you've seen.

KEATON FOREVER OMGWEEEE!!!!!11111111

cine

This is very late for a reply but why did everyone dislike "Our Hospitality"??? It's one of my favourites too, and for the record, I have the Art of Buster Keaton on DVD and have seen all of his stuff... I thought it was really funny but as a movie all around aside from the comedy, I think its great. What do people think of the Navigator? That's a really good one too.

rustinglass

I never saw a keaton film, now I really want to. But as far as chaplin goes, I really like modern times and city lights, but I still think limelight is his masterpiece, it's so good, and so different from all his other work. Mybe I'm talking crap, but I think that is a very important film for the progression of cinema and gets overlooked sometimes, I had no idea it existed till I caught it on TV, and it blew my mind cause it's so fucking good.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

cine

I would've loved to have seen the Keaton scenes Chaplin edited out of Limelight. I think it's too long but its still really good.

rustinglass

I never knew about that, what were the scenes?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

metroshane

Hmmm...  Chaplin has always been third, right behind

1.  Harold Lloyd
2.  Buster Keaton.
3.  Chaplin.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

cine

Quote from: rustinglassI never knew about that, what were the scenes?

No clue. Wish I knew.

Metro, thats an interesting list. Don't know anyone who's actually preferred Lloyd over Keaton and Chaplin. Not bad though... Nothing wrong with Lloyd, but my list would certainly go: Keaton, Chaplin, Lloyd.

metroshane

My choosing LLoyd over the other two is indeed quite odd.  However I believe we live in too cynical a times to really buy into the innocence of the "tramp".  And maybe Keaton is suffering from being overdone.

I just think that if you were to play all three today (maybe to someone who doesn't know any) then Lloyd still plays the best.  His holds up.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Vile5

"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

modage

wow.  i just watched my first Chaplin film City Lights and LOVED IT.  it was so great and funny and sad and just amazing.  modern times and great dictator should be here in a day or two.  so let me just extend to anyone else who has not seen any chaplin to please watch this movie.

also, last year i saw two harold lloyd films (the freshman and for heavens sake) which i also loved when TCM was showing his films all month.  why the fuck wont his family let them go to dvd/video?  how the hell am i supposed to watch Saftey Last which i'm now dying to see?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.