So Far This Year - LP Version (Vol 2008!)

Started by hedwig, July 12, 2008, 11:03:28 AM

Sigur Rós

Quote from: omuy on December 30, 2008, 12:15:12 AM
I'm still waiting for someone to mention Cut Copy or Housse De Racket or Ladyhawke or Tame Impala... solid albums from this year.

I mentioned Cut Copy didn't I.... and Tame Impala... I'll wait for the album...

MacGuffin

Third - Portishead

Acid Tongue - Jenny Lewis

Knowle West Boy - Tricky

Modern Guilt - Beck

Volume One - She & Him

The Slip - Nine Inch Nails

Rockferry - Duffy

The Hawk Is Howling - Mogwai

Jukebox - Cat Power

Santogold - Santogold
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

With Christmas cash I finally picked up some of the ones I couldn't spend money on myself:

She & Him = I was really impressed by Zooey's songwriting. I had no idea.

Vampire Weekend = This is a nice album without a dud track. The kind of album that will be on End of the Year list, but not likely to be on (or high) a Decade list. Whether or not they have a similar career arc to The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Clap Your Hands, etc. (bands who blow up out of nowhere with their debut and seem to fade with each subsequent release) will depend on what they pull off for their follow up.

Jenny's release really seemed to get little notice and I'm really puzzled there as I think it's quite a good album.

of Montreal - I'm not sure why this release seemed so maligned in comparison to Hissing Fauna - simply because instead of tracks having the standard 3 seconds of silence seperating, or was it truly of that much less quality? I think the timing of the record was also bad as quite a bit of other records came at the same time - if I remember TVotR came out then and several others. Skeletal Lamping was a challenging listen and I'm not sure people (myself included) gave it ample time.

Portishead - Third is what I consider the best overall release of the year.

Long way to go for 2009, but it should be interesting if anyone tops Merriweather Post Pavilion for me.

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

2009 has already started out awesome. Dent May, Timber Timbre, Here We Go Magic, Beirut and of course, Merriweather Post Pavilion, which could very well end up being one of the best albums of the WHOLE decade and a sign of things to come in the 2010's.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

After much deliberation, here is a list I suspect may change post-Pitchfork as usual, but feels solid for now.  Quite a dancy year.

10 ) MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

9 ) Vivian Girls - Self Titled

8 ) Monkey - Journey To The West

7 ) Girl Talk - Feed the Animals

6 ) Diplo & Santogold - Top Ranking

5 ) Power Pill Fist - Kongmanivong

4 ) Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

3 ) Mr. Oizo - Lambs Anger

2 ) Black Mountain - In The Future

1 ) Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing

Runner-ups
-----------------

The Walkmen - You & Me
The Notwist - The Devil, You + Me
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

squints

Quote from: Walrus on April 28, 2009, 01:56:41 AM
After much deliberation, here is a list I suspect may change post-Pitchfork as usual, but feels solid for now. 

Wait what?

What about 2009?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

That is to say, if I hear bands that I enjoy who have albums that may have come out in 2008.  Seeing Pitchfork this year, as in the past, will definitely send ripples into my future 2009 list.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye