favorite beck album? (official beck thread)

Started by Rudie Obias, January 22, 2004, 10:33:53 PM

MacGuffin

Beck keeps it catchy, dynamic and fun
Source: Los Angeles Times

Beck
"Timebomb"
(Interscope)

As an image for these days of uncertainty, a time bomb might be at least as relevant as, say, an umbrella. With today's release of Beck's new single, both devices are now part of the summer pop vocabulary, and he has as much fun with his toy as Rihanna does, in a different way, with hers. She goes, "ella, ella, ella," he says, "tick tick tick tick."

The latter is inherently more ominous, but the recording's apocalyptic undercurrent is balanced by a mighty urge to rock, a duality embodied in lines such as:

We got a red alert

We cut the power and we

Na na na na

It's a ridiculously dynamic single, Devo-like in its embrace of dumb fundamentals and the mocking tone of Beck's voice. There's also a Prince-ly swagger in its synth-rock propulsion, but the parade of surprises in the shifting textures and colors is pure, prime Beck.

"Timebomb" comes out today on iTunes and next Tuesday at other digital retailers, and it's billed as Beck's only planned release at this time. Unencumbered by promotional ties, it reflects a welcome ability to simply catch a moment and put it out there.

It might be too late to qualify as the single of the summer, but it's a perfect tonic before the fall.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

i like it a lot! was i wrong for not buying the information?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

davidchili

it's really hard to pick one favourite, one thing i enjoy about this guy is that he can take on so many styles.
i'll have to pick em all....
good dreamer, bad sleeper.

tpfkabi

Changed your mind, mod?

I actually broke out Guero for the first time in awhile after reading the Odelay special edition review at Pitchfork. I'm torn on whether to buy it. These Geffen special editions always seem overpriced to me. The record's been out over 10 years, they've recouped their costs and then some. The record should be maybe $5 over normal CD retail price. Maybe they're better than I realize because I haven't bought any of them up to this point.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

i really like it too.  i think information was just too long.  and guero was too odelay.  Orphans, Gamma Ray, Modern Guilt, Profanity Prayers.  all good beckstuff.  cat power backing vocals on first track are great too.  not since jim james sang backup on i'm wide awake has a guest backing vocal been so backing.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

no shit. this is a pretty solid record. there's a lot to digest here, actually. i'm surprised, and i'm a big fan.

cinemanarchist

Still digesting but I know that the production on this is ridiculous. I love you Beck. I might just be really stoned but I have a feeling that this would sync up with Wall-E perfectly. Okay, maybe I just want to listen to this and watch Wall-E whilst stoned...that sounds more logical.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

Quote from: cinemanarchist on July 01, 2008, 09:14:35 PM
Still digesting but I know that the production on this is ridiculous. I love you Beck. I might just be really stoned but I have a feeling that this would sync up with Wall-E perfectly. Okay, maybe I just want to listen to this and watch Wall-E whilst stoned...that sounds more logical.

Werd. I'm stoned, too.

It's good. I'm having alot of fun with it, but every Beck album post-Sea Change gets knocked down a notch right off the bat for not being another Sea Change. I give it a 9 out of 10. Seriously, when is he going to make another Sea Change?

The production is excellent, though.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Alexandro

He would need to go through something really painful and exhausting for him to do another Sea Change.

Stefen

Quote from: Alexandro on July 02, 2008, 10:47:56 AM
He would need to go through something really painful and exhausting for him to do another Sea Change.

Well, for my sake, I hope something really painful and exhausting happens to him.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on July 02, 2008, 11:20:53 AM
Quote from: Alexandro on July 02, 2008, 10:47:56 AM

Well, for my sake, I hope something really painful and exhausting happens to him.

Someone needs to prove to him that L. Ron Hubbard isn't real.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Pozer

i too like what it's doing.  i got really good seats for his Hollywood Bowl show in september.  dude puts on amazing shows.

hedwig

i am liking the title track and the title itself.

Stefen

Quote from: Hedwig on July 02, 2008, 06:29:58 PM
i am liking the title track and the title itself.

Werd. Does anyone else think the title tracks sounds like Beck doing Spoon? It's awesome.

I'm really digging this whole album. Easily the best thing he's done since Sea Change.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pozer on July 02, 2008, 02:34:38 PM
i too like what it's doing.  i got really good seats for his Hollywood Bowl show in september.

How is it we're going to the same shows, just not together? You going to NIN too?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks