City of God

Started by budgie, January 09, 2003, 01:43:15 PM

atticus jones

uh...the truth hurts?
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

SoNowThen

Sometimes. But sometimes it can set you free.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

atticus jones

so now then you get my point for being me...

to hurt then set free...

my poor prisoners of war...

the battle rages on
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

SoNowThen

Yeah, but there's so much hurt already. How about set free 80%, hurt 20%?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

atticus jones

ah...the mathematics of enlightenment...a flavorite of mine...

100% truth cannot be divided into non equivalent portions...

...to do so upsets the crucial balance of the algorhythmic food chain...

...neither pronounced nyther can it be a fifty fifty split...the possibility of that evokes an orange vanilla banana sundae that only makes me hungry for the desert...

palm springs is hot this time of year...

so now then...what have we learned?...

if you must know the truth...freedom and hurt are the reciprocal of truth...when multiplied together you have one...

one what?...one heck of a tasty treat of course...

class dismissed

SoNowThen

Par usual, I can't keep up with you.

But you certainly can divide up the truth... haven't you heard of a white lie?

atticus jones

i bet you wouldnt have phrased it that way if you knew i was white...

always tryin to keep the man down...damn

consider this...white is not a color at all...simply the reflection of all others...so its not really a lie but a reflection of some colorful distortion...

i enjoy art and often frequent his deli

aclockworkjj

I like art too...he drove a mean ass school bus.

SoNowThen

Quote from: mei bet you wouldnt have phrased it that way if you knew i was white...

always tryin to keep the man down...damn

consider this...white is not a color at all...simply the reflection of all others...so its not really a lie but a reflection of some colorful distortion...

Hmmm. Yeah, I'll definitely go along with that. I still feel a little guilty if I have to tell one, though.
:)

modage

just finally saw this movie a second time today and brought a bunch of high school buddies and my girlfriend, all of whom had no idea what they were in for, and all came out loving it.  i saw it when it opened a few months ago in nyc and didnt really know how much i enjoyed it, (till i sat thru the cold cold spring of hollywood crapola and realized that i had probably seen one of my favorite movies of 2003 without realizing it.)  seeing it with a few other people kind of reminded me how good it really was.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

dufresne

this has probably been asked already, but when is this coming out on DVD?
There are shadows in life, baby.

SoNowThen

Quote from: dufresnethis has probably been asked already, but when is this coming out on DVD?

Yeah, Mac, do you know???

MacGuffin

As far as I know, the DVD release date hasn't been announced yet.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

'kay, cool.

If you hear, will you come and post in this thread?
Thanks in advance.

modage

argh!  tricked. i thought for sure, the dvd release had been announced since the topic alive again!  damnit.  the fucking thing came out 6 months ago, and they havent even announced the release date yet. this is torture.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.