Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

tpfkabi

***did you find you had to register even if you are on the e-mail list and have bought things through waste before?***

Stanley Donwood: Discbox is worth the money
Posted on October 6th, 2007.

In an interview with Stanley Donwood, published by ThisIsLondon.co.uk, he comments on the £40 price tag on the Discbox version of Radiohead's new album 'In Rainbows', which features a download, two CD's and two 12-inch vinyl records and a lyrics book full of new artwork by Stanley Donwood.
If the download could be a steal, this is a serious financial commitment. Is it worth it?

Stanley Donwood: "It depends how rich you are! If you're on the dole, of course it's a hell of a lot of money. But it costs about that much to go to a Premier League football match, and this project has taken an incredible amount of work. It's been a long journey over 10 months, with the artwork evolving as the music has evolved. And it weighs about half a kilo."

For In Rainbows he's been trying a photographic etching technique, putting prints into acid baths with random results. He keeps the finer details close to his chest, and the band refuse to show off the box properly until the release date, but a small picture at www.inrainbows.com shows multicoloured, blocky text contrasting with scratchy grey abstractions. "The finished product is quite a lush thing. It's the most over-the-top project I've done with them."

He studied Fine Art with Yorke at Exeter, and admits that the friends share a similar bleak worldview. "We shout at the same bits of the news."

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Myxo

Yeah, I'm pretty sure $84.17 is the most I've ever paid for music as well. But given all of the buzz and how huge a fan I am, it's worthwhile. These guys aren't pumping out records every year. Whatever they release, I always want the limited / box set or whatever they come up with. God, I'm so stoked they included "Open Pick" after it vanished from their tour setlists too. That song is fucking awesome. Can't wait for a tour next year. I'm praying they come back to the northwest again.

tpfkabi

you also have to consider you're getting the album, then that same album on vinyl, then an ep (which may be full album length), and then vinyl of that ep. buying all of these seperately would prob be around $60, not to mention what sounds like very extensive packaging and shipping included. no telling how much it will cost shipping that across seas.

pumba

when's this puppy goin live, wouldn't midnight UK time be right around now?
I'm getting all antsy here! :oops:

THANK YOU FOR ORDERING IN RAINBOWS. THIS IS AN UPDATE.

YOUR UNIQUE ACTIVATION CODE(S) WILL BE SENT OUT TOMORROW MORNING (UK TIME).  THIS WILL TAKE YOU STRAIGHT TO THE DOWNLOAD AREA.

HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE DOWNLOAD:

THE ALBUM WILL COME AS A 48.4MB ZIP FILE CONTAINING 10 X 160KBPS DRM FREE MP3s.

MOST COMPUTERS NOW HAVE ZIP SOFTWARE AS PART OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM; IF YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT, YOU NEED TO GET WINZIP OR ZIPIT INSTALLED PRIOR.

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THEM HERE:

PC: http://www.winzip.com/
MAC: http://www.maczipit.com/

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS DOWNLOADING YOUR FILE,  PLEASE CONTACT OUR DOWNLOAD CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM AT
downloadinrainbows@waste.uk.com

FUCKING D-DAY!!!
context, context, context.

Stefen

10am UK time. In like 7 hours.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Stefen

Quote from: Pubrick on October 09, 2007, 08:37:52 PM
Quote from: cronopio on October 09, 2007, 08:08:19 PM
160KBPS

ay, there's the rub.

Yeah. That sucks. I actually canceled my order for the discbox (not because of the bitrate, but because of the gimmick which I touched on earlier in this thread) so I guess beggars can't be choosers. Still though, it's better than what you get at iTunes or it's at least the same.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Stefen on October 09, 2007, 09:19:16 PM
Quote from: Pubrick on October 09, 2007, 08:37:52 PM
Quote from: cronopio on October 09, 2007, 08:08:19 PM
160KBPS

ay, there's the rub.

Yeah. That sucks. I actually canceled my order for the discbox (not because of the bitrate, but because of the gimmick which I touched on earlier in this thread) so I guess beggars can't be choosers. Still though, it's better than what you get at iTunes or it's at least the same.

there is no cynical gimmick. no one has to pay anything for the music. the front page of radiohead.com says you can only get this music here for now. it does not say forever. the management has made perfectly clear that it will be released in stores probably in January.

matt35mm

omg i'm listening to it right now

... and there's no one online to geek out with...

Pedro

Quote from: matt35mm on October 10, 2007, 12:44:08 AM
omg i'm listening to it right now

... and there's no one online to geek out with...

Im here.  It's so good!  Not like im surprised, though.  I was expecting something pleasing, and at this point I feel that I like radiohead too much to be able to objectibely judge an album.  I am surprised how guitar driven it is.  The arrangements are fantastic.  It makes me wonder what the recording process was like.  There's a live feel about some of it.  Arpeggi turned out very nicely.  I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I am.

context, context, context.

Stefen

I left my helmet at my girlfriends house!!!! MY MIND IS EXPLODING YOU BITCH!!!!!

matt35mm

This has to be their most jamming album.  I lost 3 pounds listening to it.

Stefen

I had to take off my trousers. I was mad compressed.

The compression is KILLING Bodysnatchers. You can tell it just wants to break out.