Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

MacGuffin

Radiohead continue to get love from musicians of every stripe. High-brow pianist Christopher O'Riley has retooled the band's music for the chin-stroking classical set on two albums. And Dub Tribute to Radiohead: I'm Not the Only Record for You was released earlier this year — as was Exit Music: Songs for Radio Heads, a compilation of electronic covers. So it's little surprise that Radiohead are getting the crunk treatment at the hands of DJ Gyngyvytus. Skeet Spirit: A Crunk Tribute to Radiohead — eight instrumental tracks being offered by the DJ as free downloads — boasts "No Sizzuruprises," "Creepin' (On Dat Ass)" and "Talk Show Hoes" among the cleverly titled tributes to England's favorite dour rockers. And the Easy Stars All-Stars' Radiodread, a reggae comp featuring toasters such as Horace Andy and Citizen Cope, hits stores Tuesday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

From DEAD AIR SPACE:

Entitled "Mr. D at his Desk" 

This gets me more excited than hearing that they're done recording.

tpfkabi

i don't get it.

the really need to crank out more than one album over 4 years. i know babies and what have ye had been born, but dang. you know thom didn't stop writing, he put out a solo album in between......plus all the wealth of unreleased gems.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

RegularKarate

Quote from: bigideas on April 05, 2007, 04:14:01 PM
i don't get it.

the really need to crank out more than one album over 4 years. i know babies and what have ye had been born, but dang. you know thom didn't stop writing, he put out a solo album in between......plus all the wealth of unreleased gems.

I don't get YOU.

you just admitted they were doing stuff, what's the issue?  You'd rather that the unreleased mediocre stuff and the solo stuff were released as Radiohead? 

tpfkabi

i don't know what the reference is in the picture capture, someone tell me please.

i don't think that only 40 minutes of music in 4 years time from a group of 5 talented musicians is viable.

when they came back from their break they had a pic of a chalkboard with tons of songs. easily two or three albums could have come from that (even if some are subpar). then you have to factor in those songs not yet written at that time, plus prior songs and ones we have no idea that they even exist.

they were on a 2 year/3 year spurt(Kid A/Amn is kinda one), but this is starting to get Kubrick bad.

RegularKarate

Quote from: bigideas on April 05, 2007, 07:08:57 PM
this is starting to get Kubrick bad.

you're starting to answer both your and my questions yourself.

tpfkabi

i was just thinking - if thom had not done Eraser than the Radiohead album would probably be out already and around their 2/3 year album mean.

here's what i'm trying to get across:

i love Radiohead's music and wish they would not wait so long between new albums.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideas on April 05, 2007, 08:32:55 PMhere's what i'm trying to get across:

i love Radiohead's music and wish they would not wait so long between new albums.

bigidea's Recliner Of Rage

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

i guess i'm not hip anymore....i'm not getting any of these references

or maybe i weren't ever hip =(

hedwig

ok bigideas i will clarify some things for you.

- mr. d is stanley donwood. he's illustrated most of radiohead's album artwork.
- the recliner of rage is a bit from late night with conan o'brien (not related to ed o'brien).
- ed o'brien is a member of radiohead.

i know what you meant about wanting more radiohead music. but i don't agree with you that "easily two or three albums could have come from that (even if some are subpar.)" i am happier if a few years of hard work result in high quality music than a bunch of shitty albums coming out one after the other (see: NIN).

Quote from: bigideas on April 05, 2007, 08:32:55 PM
i was just thinking - if thom had not done Eraser than the Radiohead album would probably be out already and around their 2/3 year album mean.
that's a totally pointless assumption. there's no way of knowing that's how things would have worked out. anyway the eraser is still awesome.

tpfkabi

yes, i know stanley donwood has done their artwork since The Bends, but when i looked at that i thought it was phil and referencing a movie or something. i had a brain fart and didn't associate 'D' with 'Donwood' for some reason.

no assumption is pointless, for they are assumptions. when i assume something the last thing that it means is that i actually truly believe that answers the question.

about touring, i originally had a longer post in which i said i wish they would stop touring since they generally don't like it if that means more recorded output. just go the way of the beatles and put out records. i love seeing them live though, but records are what last a lot longer.

and yes, i know about how when each new album comes out Thom talks about hating touring and if they'll keep the band together.

if this album/tour turned out to be the last Radiohead venture, you're both saying you don't wish that more of their material was out there? really subpar isn't even the equation to me because i like maybe 95% or more of every track they've released (prob not including Pablo Honey era).

hedwig

Quote from: bigideas on April 06, 2007, 07:55:50 AM
no assumption is pointless, for they are assumptions. when i assume something the last thing that it means is that i actually truly believe that answers the question.
ok then your assumption was baseless. which is explained nicely by lucid in the post above. i will add that when radiohead's not making new music, at least we have other people giving us reggae, lullaby, crunk, and classical versions of their songs to tide us over. :|

tpfkabi

live versions can vary very differently from the studio recordings (which are the everlasting versions).

i guess the only way to officially end the debate is to check back in 20 or 30 years if they release a comprehensive box set of all the unreleased stuff.

(something tells me there will be a lot of good shiz...)

MacGuffin

Radiohead inspire ballet Dotmusic

A ballet inspired by Radiohead will air in Scotland this summer, it has been confirmed.

Stephen Petronio's Ride The Beast is scheduled for performance at the Edinburgh International Festival and features a number of musical reworkings of their songs.

Opening with "Fitter Happier," the performance features five songs from Thom and company in total, from across their career.

Explaining the production, Petronio commented: "Radiohead's music is a brilliant investigation of achingly modern taste. They sail through genre and form effortlessly and passionately, and their music demands a physical response from me that by-passes reason."

Ride The Beast takes place at the Scottish Ballet at the Edinburgh Playhouse on August 18-20.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

I was always one of those dickheads who was like "Pre Kid A Radiohead rules! Everything after OK Computer sucks!!" but gotdamn if I haven't seen the light. Post OKC Radiohead rules.

LP7 is going to be the greatest album of all time. BOOK IT.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.