Panel Discussions

Started by Gold Trumpet, February 10, 2004, 11:37:22 AM

modage

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI think the best debates are spontaneous and develop naturally. But if we can find some really specific troubling and complex topic, it could work.
right, i mean it seems like there are a wealth of topics on here with differing opinions from boardmembers, all people need to do is actually get involved in one side or the other.  recently i've been in several debates, but it seems like only 1 or 2 people are interested in discussing on either side.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetAlso, its hard enough to get 5 people to agree to thoroughly research a subject and then be on call for 5 days to respond to other people writing.
also, 5 seems arbitrary, and the idea the only the five involveds opinions matter and the wildcards can interject is sort of inclusive.  plus, what good does researching do?  if its not a subject those involved are already passionate about, why are they arguing on one side or the other?

how about: What Makes A Film Great?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

how about something non-film related:  What type of Medevil Prince do you envision yourself when you take a bubble bath?

SoNowThen

By far the best topic suggested yet.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

ELIZABETH BARTLEY
::HISTORY REFERENCE:: 8)
I like to hug dogs

modage

USELESS MOVIE QUESTIONAIRE
sure to spark debates if needed...

1. List at least five of your most loved movies.
2. List at least five movies you absolutely hate.
3. List some of your favorite directors.
4. List some directors you can't stand.
5. List some actors/actresses you love.
6. List some actors/actresses that annoy the crap out of you.
7. What films/directors/actors do you think are overrated?
8. Which ones do you think are underappreciated?
9. What's the most influential movie ever made?
10. How do you feel about multi-million dollar movie star salaries?  Does anyone deserve the big bucks?  Who and Why or why not?
11. How do you feel about the use of computer graphics (CGI) in cinema today?
12. How do you feel about traditional as opposed to computer animation?
13. Who has the most important role in filmmaking? The writer, director or producer, or actor? Why?
14. Does a director ever deserve the "A Film By" credit?  Why or why not?
15. Is digital video an acceptable medium for a movie?  Why or why not?
16. What's the best way to watch a movie at home? VHS, DVD, Laserdisc or other?
17. How much do the following things matter to you in your decision to see a movie at a particular theater: Price; Picture/sound quality; Stadium seating; Age of the theater; Make-up of audience; Quality of popcorn/snacks; reserved seating?
18. Do movie reviews have any merit?  Who are the good and bad film critics?
19. Name something about your film tastes that you are constantly defending.
20. Are movies an art form or just entertainment? Why?
21. How much do the Oscar awards matter to you?  Why?
22. Who do you feel is long overdue for an Oscar?  Why?
23. In that same vain, who should have their Oscar taken away?  Why?
24. How do you feel about the use of popular songs as a film score?
25. How do you feel about the Sundance film festival?
26. Weekend box office report: fascinating or utterly useless?
27. What's one thing about cinema you wish could change today?
28. How do the movies today compare to the ones from 30 years ago?
29. Foreign movies: dubbed or subtitled?  Why?
30. How do you feel about the MPAA's movie rating system?
31. Are some movies better to watch at home than in the theater?  Which ones?  Why?
32. How do you feel about movie techniques like IMAX, Cinerama, Sensurround or 3D?
33. How do you feel about director's cuts?
34. Can changing a film based on a test screening ever make it better?  Why or why not?
35. Do you think independent movies are more important than studio movies?  Why or why not?

also, i didnt make this up
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Disco Kid

I really like this idea--to have an in-depth, well thought discussion between only 5 or so people. That way it stays readable and interesting, and doesnt meander and become chaotic. There can be a different thread dedicated to just comments. Sounds almost like a magazine feature or something. Very cool idea.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02USELESS MOVIE QUESTIONAIRE
sure to spark debates if needed...

1. List at least five of your most loved movies.
-requiem for a dream, mulholland dr., the thin red line,  jackie brown, godfather II, the shining, talk to her

2. List at least five movies you absolutely hate.
-mouline rouge!, gummo, kids, hudson hawk, conspiriacy theory

3. List some of your favorite directors.
-lynch, aronofsky, kubrick, malick

4. List some directors you can?t stand.
-larry clark, baz, mcG

5. List some actors/actresses you love.
-penn, del  toro, watts, crudup,  mary mcdonnel, famkee jenseen, norton, ruffalo, dafoe,  jude law, depp

6. List some actors/actresses that annoy the crap out of you.
-KRISTEN DUNST!!!!!!!!!!!, julia stiles, reese whitherspoon, woody harelson, john cusack, deluxe 347, renee zell.

7. What films/directors/actors do you think are overrated?
-renee, 8 1/2, fincher,  spacy, jack black

8. Which ones do you think are underappreciated?
-crudup,  at close range, gangs of new york, curtis hanson, brian singer, amanda peet    

9. What?s the most influential movie ever made?
-you:citizen kane.........-myself:eraserhead

10. How do you feel about multi-million dollar movie star salaries?  Does anyone deserve the big bucks?  Who and Why or why not?
-i hav eno problem at all about what actor(ess) makes whow much..they could make 700 million  a film and i don'y give a sh*t..good for them.....BUT what i don't like is the people who sign on a project and back out (i.e. brad pitt/ the fountain....

11. How do you feel about the use of computer graphics (CGI) in cinema today?
-i'm cool with it....never had a problem to begin with

12. How do you feel about traditional as opposed to computer animation?
-see above

13. Who has the most important role in filmmaking? The writer, director or producer, or actor? Why?
-depends.......if you want the picture made..the most important person would be he who supplies the money........but if you need an "idea" for a film to begin with also..so thats important too....

14. Does a director ever deserve the ?A Film By? credit?  Why or why not?
-yeah...its their film..right??......

15. Is digital video an acceptable medium for a movie?  Why or why not?
-yes..whatever works to  capture your vision......

16. What?s the best way to watch a movie at home? VHS, DVD, Laserdisc or other?
-for me :.......DVD

17. How much do the following things matter to you in your decision to see a movie at a particular theater: Price; Picture/sound quality; Stadium seating; Age of the theater; Make-up of audience; Quality of popcorn/snacks; reserved seating?
-make-up of audience...

18. Do movie reviews have any merit?  Who are the good and bad film critics?
-yes they do..IMO....good:new york times, ebert, travers, gold trumpet......bad: anyone who dissed lynch.....

19. Name something about your film tastes that you are constantly defending.
-i tend to like surreal,disturbing,  abstract, avant-garde films.....so, i'm constantly on the offensive...

20. Are movies an art form or just entertainment? Why?
-art..b/c it can inspire oneself...and make you run the gamut of emotions...

21. How much do the Oscar awards matter to you?  Why?
-sometimes it does..sometimes it don't..i do believe its cool to get nominated...it says something

22. Who do you feel is long overdue for an Oscar?  Why?
-lynch-....b/c he was robbed for mulholland dr...and b/c hes a genius ....and he talks w/ a certian nasaly  swagger.....

23. In that same vain, who should have their Oscar taken away?  Why?
-take back julia roberts oscar for erin brock.....and give it to ellen burnstein for requiem........and take howrds' back and give it to lynch

24. How do you feel about the use of popular songs as a film score?
-great...i love it.......

25. How do you feel about the Sundance film festival?
-fine...

26. Weekend box office report: fascinating or utterly useless?
-cool.....

27. What?s one thing about cinema you wish could change today?
-they should make a rule as to regarding your first film as a director ..its free....so do what you wish...CREATE ART>>>>>>

28. How do the movies today compare to the ones from 30 years ago?
-they are much better.......

29. Foreign movies: dubbed or subtitled?  Why?
-subtitled.......it looke stupiod when characters move thier mouths and the words don't line up w/ what they are saying........

30. How do you feel about the MPAA?s movie rating system?
-its  too harsh on sex......other wise its cool......

31. Are some movies better to watch at home than in the theater?  Which ones?  Why?
-yes......all.......exept for large scale epic productions....

32. How do you feel about movie techniques like IMAX, Cinerama, Sensurround or 3D?
-fine..

33. How do you feel about director?s cuts?
-love them....wish more were put on the definative medium of film viewing,  which is DVD....
34. Can changing a film based on a test screening ever make it better?  Why or why not?
-yes.....if your all about the money..do what audiences say...so that way they will buy tickets....to your film......

35. Do you think independent movies are more important than studio movies?  Why or why not?
-about the same.....but the more frequent quality of good indy films opens doors.....

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

molly

Quote from: NEON MERCURYhow about something non-film related:  What type of Medevil Prince do you envision yourself when you take a bubble bath?

this question is neglected, and is a good one.