Versitility

Started by Myxo, July 07, 2003, 07:51:24 PM

Myxo

Ya know, it occured to me that although Jack Nicholson is a great actor, I don't think I've seen him play anything other than "Jack" in very many movies. About Schmidt was surprising to me. As Good As It Gets might be another role where he played a pretty vulnerable character.

I am trying to think of actors who are versitile. In your minds, what living actors break the mold of typecasting for you? Phil Hoffman seems like a guy who could fit into a huge assortment of roles. PTA movies alone definetly show his versitility.

He goes from..

a pathetic loser in Boogie Nights to
a nurse caught in the middle of TJ Mackey and Earl Partridge in Magnolia to
a nasty dickhead mattress salesman in PDL.

Ok. I'm done. So, give me some guys/gals that fit this mold.

TheVoiceOfNick

I think most of PTA's actors (who were in more than one of his movies) are very versatile. John C. Reilly can play that dorky, cuddly guy (The Good Girl, Magnolia), but he can also play the serious roles (The Hours, Gangs of New York)... he is extremely versatile. I think that is why he and Hoffman have been consistently working for many years in a lot of great roles. Each one is a director's actor... they can play almost any part.

Nick

modage

not to start any shit, but although i believe psh is capable of anything, he is frequently offered (outside of ptas films), very similar roles of losers, nerds, outcasts, etc.  as with buscemi, he will make the parts he can get as interesting as possible, i wouldnt cite either for the pinnacle of versatility.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

John Turturro is, in my humble opinion, the most versatile actor working today.

chainsmoking insomniac

Agreed.  Let's not forget Gary Oldman.  That guy is incredible.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Raikus

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SoNowThen

I will strongly second Turturro, Oldman, and Depp.

I think Harvey Keitel is fairly versatile, as is Bob DeNiro.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

polkablues

Quote from: SoNowThenas is Bob DeNiro.

Not in the past ten years or so, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SoNowThen

Well, he's done some pretty different roles.

Ronin, Meet The Parents, City By The Sea,  Analyze This, Bulwinkle *shudder*...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Myxo

Quote from: SoNowThenWell, he's done some pretty different roles.

Ronin, Meet The Parents, City By The Sea,  Analyze This, Bulwinkle *shudder*...

Robin Williams recently too.

jonas

My Favorites:

Brando. From Guys and Dolls to Julius Ceasar. He's done a lot.

Daniel Day-Lewis

Christian Bale

Brad Pitt . He makes great role choices as well. He's usually overlooked because of his popularity, but he's done a great range of roles.

Jeff Bridges

Gary Oldman. The ultimate in versatility.

Guy Pearce

DeNiro's old choices were great. In the last 5 years he's sucked ass though.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Myxo

Quote from: jonasMy Favorites:

Brando. From Guys and Dolls to Julius Ceasar. He's done a lot.

Daniel Day-Lewis

Christian Bale

Brad Pitt . He makes great role choices as well. He's usually overlooked because of his popularity, but he's done a great range of roles.

Jeff Bridges

Gary Oldman. The ultimate in versatility.

Guy Pearce

DeNiro's old choices were great. In the last 5 years he's sucked ass though.

Heat was good. What year did Heat come out? Also, Meet the Parents was hilarious.

SoNowThen

JACKIE motherfucking BROWN!!!!

Brilliant. He was absolutely brilliant.

jonas

Quote from: halo_on

Heat was good. What year did Heat come out? Also, Meet the Parents was hilarious.

Heat was 1995. Meet the Parents was good, that's about the only good choice he's had lately. I hope he gets his head out of his ass and starts picking good roles again.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove