Joss Stone or Why 3 Year Old Songs Shouldn't Have Remakes

Started by Raikus, February 07, 2004, 08:52:26 AM

modage

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: chuckhimselfoBut she's very , very, cute.

True.  

When I saw them with the Strokes at Radio City, my friends and I were trying to determine if we thought she was hot simply because she was a drummer, albeit a bad (IMHO) drummer.  The jury's still out on that one.
yeah i think its the latter (i was at that show too).  umm, i heard this a few times the other day, and regardless of whether she is talented, it is a pretty lame move to release a cover of a 3 year old giant hit song as your single.  like, attention grabbing in a bad way i think.  that'd be like limp bizkit covering Hey Ya in a year or something?  its just not cool.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

Quote from: hacksparrowDon't knock it.  At least the drum machine on the cover can keep time.  Meg White can't say the same.   :?
Do you not see you're corrupted by the MTV music machine? Just look at the inherent evil of your statement above. Jesus.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: hacksparrowDon't knock it.  At least the drum machine on the cover can keep time.  Meg White can't say the same.   :?
Do you not see you're corrupted by the MTV music machine? Just look at the inherent evil of your statement above. Jesus.

What inherent evil?  Bad drumming is bad drumming.  And what MTV music machine would I be corrupted by if the White Stripes are BIG BIG BIG on MTV, more a part of said "music machine" than the Joss Stone cover.  Championing mediocrity as if it were brilliance is pretty "evil" as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a firm believer in realizing one's potential.  Chances are, Joss Stone will be big one day but I doubt that she will evolve much as an artist.  The White Stripes, on the other hand, have the potential to be legendary.  But I really think that Meg's drumming is holding Jack back. Take Sunday's awful Grammy performance into account; she was so out of time that Jack could barely keep up (either that or Meg couldn't follow Jack).  The Stripes have considerably more overall potential than Joss Stone.  However, Joss Stone is meeting her personal potential moreso than the Stripes are meeting theirs, IMHO.

So I'm harder on the Stripes because I want to love them. I couldn't, and probably won't ever, give a crap about Joss Stone.

Raikus

You were advocating manufactured music over music produced by an individual. That's inherently evil. That's what prompted me to say you're being corrupted by the MTV music machine--to think of "music" in terms personal achievement or drum machines. Bah.

And Meg provides the foundation for Jack's ability. She's no David Grohl, and neither of them have ever pretended she was. She keeps the simple beat that  lets the audience's ears focus on Jack's all out talent. The thing I've always liked about the White Stripes is they've got primal rock down to a T. Drums, a guitar, and a guy who can't sing good but has raw power--rock out.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

This Joss Stone is terrible.

I saw this video a couple weeks ago and vomited, then I realized that it was a White Stripes cover and vomited all over again.

It's not just that she's riding the cover-song wagon with a song that's too recent, it's that her sound is ubearable.  She has a terribly bland voice and tries to sound like she has soul, but just sounds like every other white-girl pop-artist that will never understand what music is supposed to sound like.

I don't like Fiona Apple

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: RaikusYou were advocating manufactured music over music produced by an individual. That's inherently evil. That's what prompted me to say you're being corrupted by the MTV music machine--to think of "music" in terms personal achievement or drum machines. Bah.

The only thing that makes me laugh more than people who take a quip of mine seriously is when people don't bother to read my already unnecessary clarification of a quip that wasn't meant to be taken seriously.  

That being said, believe what you want about what I wrote; I really don't care to explain myself to you further than saying that you have no idea what I was trying to say.

Quote from: RaikusAnd Meg provides the foundation for Jack's ability. She's no David Grohl, and neither of them have ever pretended she was. She keeps the simple beat that  lets the audience's ears focus on Jack's all out talent. The thing I've always liked about the White Stripes is they've got primal rock down to a T. Drums, a guitar, and a guy who can't sing good but has raw power--rock out.

Meg doesn't provide the foundation for Jack's ability.  Jack does.  Period.

Raikus

Quote from: RaikusYou were advocating manufactured music over music produced by an individual. That's inherently evil. That's what prompted me to say you're being corrupted by the MTV music machine--to think of "music" in terms personal achievement or drum machines. Bah.

The only thing that makes me laugh more than people who take a quip of mine seriously is when people don't bother to read my already unnecessary clarification of a quip that wasn't meant to be taken seriously.  

That being said, believe what you want about what I wrote; I really don't care to explain myself to you further than saying that you have no idea what I was trying to say.
I'm sorry. I thought I was getting into a discussion with someone--not a cop out. For discussion I will look elsewhere in the future.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Raikus

I'm sorry. I thought I was getting into a discussion with someone--not a cop out. For discussion I will look elsewhere in the future.

Sooner or later, everyone will cop out when talking to a brick wall.

A word of advice for your future "discussions":  don't get involved in one unless you actually want to hear opposing viewpoints for reasons other than target practice.  It might keep this from happening again.  

But why should I expect you to pay attention to what I'm writing? It certainly hasn't happened before.

Raikus

Wow. Developed quite a little martyr complex here haven't we?

The beauty of this board is that everything is here for all to see. Show me where I didn't respond specifically to your opinions with my opinions in all of our two exchanges before you pulled the holier-than-thou card?

Oh, and don't take the internet too seriously. It's okay to discuss a topic with someone who has a different opinion, but don't try pulling out the white flag when they respond.

BonBon85

Quote from: RaikusShe keeps the simple beat that  lets the audience's ears focus on Jack's all out talent.

But half the time she can't even handle that. I don't mind that her beats are really simple, but it seems like she can barely even keep time during live performances.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: RaikusWow. Developed quite a little martyr complex here haven't we?

The beauty of this board is that everything is here for all to see. Show me where I didn't respond specifically to your opinions with my opinions in all of our two exchanges before you pulled the holier-than-thou card?

Oh, and don't take the internet too seriously. It's okay to discuss a topic with someone who has a different opinion, but don't try pulling out the white flag when they respond.

You bore me.   :roll: