Before The Rain

Started by Teen Wolf, September 22, 2003, 01:43:00 PM

Teen Wolf

Anybody seen Before The Rain, directed by Milcho Manchevski? It's kind of obscure, I think, being from Macedonia and all, but it's well worth seeking out. Incidentally, this film came out the same year as Pulp Fiction and shares the same sort of three part cyclical structure.

Teen Wolf

Ghostboy

I loved this movie. It's not that obscure, is it? Didn't it get nominated (or win) the foreign film Oscar the year it came out? It stars that actor -- Rade Sherbadaja, to offer an extremely rough spelling -- who played the costume shop owner in Eyes Wide Shut (among many other roles -- he's a really fine actor, and was fairly ubiquitous a few years back). The timeline of the film is really unique. Where it differs from Pulp Fiction in its structure is that there is a deliberate flaw in the narrative, so that you can never quite restructure the events correctly...which makes the film much more effective.

I first watched this on video in '99. Before I watched it, I saw Teletubbies for the first time. It was during a week I spent home from school with the flu, which made everything I did highly memorable.

Teen Wolf

Wow, I didn't know it was nominated for an Oscar. It is certainly very deserving of the honor. I saw this film in a theatre back in '00. It was for a class. I probably would never have rented this one on my own, as I don't visit the Macedonian section of my video store very often.