Laurel Canyon

Started by DavTMcGowan, May 01, 2003, 10:26:39 PM

DavTMcGowan

This movie's playing in local "indie" theater.  Has anybody heard anything about this?  Is it worthwhile?

cowboykurtis

Quote from: DanTMcGovernThis movie's playing in local "indie" theater.  Has anybody heard anything about this?  Is it worthwhile?

i saw it at sundance. was not a fan. never really went anywhere in the end. i would wait til' it hits video.
...your excuses are your own...

godardian

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: DanTMcGovernThis movie's playing in local "indie" theater.  Has anybody heard anything about this?  Is it worthwhile?

i saw it at sundance. was not a fan. never really went anywhere in the end. i would wait til' it hits video.

I actually thought the end was the problem... the rest of it went some interesting places, I thought. Worth seeing for Frances McDormand. You can probably catch it cheap at your local rep house/brew pub by now, too. I'd recommend it, but be forewarned: It loses it at the very end with a very ill-advised and ill-fitting tone shift.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pwaybloe

I just got to see this last night, and I was impressed.  

VAGUE SPOILERS Yeah, it seems to tidy up everything at the end, but I'm sure everyone else thought it would end in disaster.  So, maybe you could call it a "twist" ending? Eh, comrade?  END VAGUE SPOILERS

I love the idea of people fucking up and working to try to make things right, whether you fail or not.  It seems to be more of a personal fare for the director, but it's nice to know that the same resonates within her audience.  Bravo.  

One of my favorites for the year.

MacGuffin

Caught this film tonight, and I'm with the consensus about the ending which felt too rushed, neat and convenient. The shouting match scene turned a little too melodramatic. And it's only because these were very well drawn-out characters and relationships that this ending didn't feel right. McDormand was great as always, as was Beckensale, and after seeing this and "High Art", I'm anxious to see more of Cholodenko's projects (she has "Cavedweller" slated for 2004). Nice soundtrack too, by the way.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks