-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

kotte

I lie in my bed face down on the pillow with my recorder.

And I act out all the dialogue. Works for me.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: kotteI lie in my bed face down on the pillow with my recorder.

That's actually pretty interesting, as long as there is no one slapping your butt with a whip behind you...  :P

kotte

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick

That's actually pretty interesting, as long as there is no one slapping your butt with a whip behind you...  :P

Combining my two passions, love and fetish rubber sex.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: kotte

Classic!

kotte

Quote from: kotte

Classic!

Yeah...if I hadn't fucked it up!!!  :(

I meant 'movies and fetish rubber sex'...who the crap needs love when you're writing during an intense whipping session.

Alethia

one of my friends likes to write while sitting on the toilet

yeah, we're not that close

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardone of my friends likes to write while sitting on the toilet

yeah, we're not that close

What were you in prison for?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

ShanghaiOrange

I have all my best ideas either on the toilet, in the shower, or when I'm just about to fall asleep. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

TheVoiceOfNick

Getting ideas in the room with the porcelin god and the sex tub isn't anything new... I read an article that said Charile Kaufman has a laptop he likes to use whenever he's in the can...

molly

cooking and dishwashing works for me, when there's some good music on the radio. I hate CDs and other. Becomes boring too soon.

SoNowThen

Hmm, my writing is a weird combo:

first jotting down ideas on loose leaf, listening to lots of music I think may help. anytime I get dry, I do some research -- library book reading or maybe just movie stuff like watching extras or commentaries. Then when some characters and story has taken shape, I start to plot on a cork board using cue cards. at this point I talk for endless hours with people who's taste I trust. I basically just bullshit, and by talking out loud can really see what ideas I believe in, and which ones sound dumb or cliched or half-developed. next I write a treatment (sometimes on paper with a pen, usually on final draft on my laptop). At this point I have a handful of albums I'm playing over and over (a Pavlovian thing -- you train yourself to instantly turn on when you hear this music). More research every now and again, and finally I take the treatment and write a first draft from it. After the first draft, I show it to a bunch of people, make notes with a pen in the margins, and try to imagine actually shooting and editing it. Then, after more talking with people, go onto rewrites. all this usually takes place in my room, sitting on the side of the bed, and the conversations are usually in the living room or over the phone.

if anybody cares....
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Slick Shoes

In a week, I have to drive roughly 500 miles by myself. I expect to come up with a few good ideas then.

molly

keep your eyes on the road, slick shoe